Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I have a Novation Impulse 49 keyboard which can communicate with Sonar X2 and several stand-alone VST instruments, but I can't get it to work in BIAB.
It is visible in the list of midi input drivers, but when I touch the keys nothing is registered, not even visually. Clicking the virtual keyboard with the cursor gives sound, though. I have tried about any combination of input and output but nothing happens.I have also tried another instrument (EWI USB) but the problem is the same: it shows up in the input list, but nothing registers.
I am already in contact with support, but haven't gotten anything useful from them, except for the things I could've thought up myself. Any suggestions would be very welcome, because without a keyboard BIAB is more or less useless to me.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The name of the input in the Input list, click on it.

It must be highlighted in blue before you say okay and close the window, or it won't be selected.

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Quote:

The name of the input in the Input list, click on it.

It must be highlighted in blue before you say okay and close the window, or it won't be selected.

--Mac

Thanks Mac, but I'm not that much of a noob...

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bart,

Welcome to the forums.

So that we can get a bit of a clearer picture of you setup ...

Can you paste an image of what your midi setup options are (found under "Opt. | Preferences | Midi driver")?

CLICK HERE to be taken to a thread that gives an explanation as to how one can post images in these forums.

If you have Windows Vista or above, the "Snipping Tool" will allow you to capture a portion of your screen. Thus simply open up your Midi driver options and use the snipping tool to capture it as an image.

The below image is my setup that I've captured with the snipping tool.

One thing that might be worth checking is the channel that your keyboard is sending to BIAB. Is it sending all channels? If so there should be no problem. BIAB uses the "Thru" track to monitor external keyboards and this is set to channel 5 by default.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I cannot tell if you are a noob or not and am only trying to help you get it working from the information you have given.

That was just the first step, and there have been indeed some posters here who needed that bit of information, so it was given.

If the Input is highlighted and still no MIDI joy, this could be a Channel problem.

BB's default Thru MIDI channel is 5. This can be checked and changed in Prefs->Channels.

However, the keyboard itself may be the better place to change the MIDI send Channel.

See page 8 of the Keystation manual for how to change Channels on the Keystation, that is the place I would do it and leave BB at its default of 5. Change the keyboard to channel 5. (My keystation 49 is rather long in the tooth, there may have been manual changes and finding how to change MIDI Channels may be on a different page now.)

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Noel,
First of all the screenshot:

The Impulse sends default to channel one, but I've tried it on channel 5 as well. Also, I've set Thru to 1 via Preferences->Midi options->Channels.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Quote:

I cannot tell if you are a noob or not and am only trying to help you get it working from the information you have given.

No offense intended. I do appreciate your efforts.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bart,

The image is great, thank you. What is "Control VS-100"? Is this associated with your keyboard? If so, having that as the output could be the issue since your keyboard, from what I can ascertain, is a controller and not a host for general midi sounds.

Try selecting "Microsoft GS Wavtable Synth" as your output and activate the checkbox on the right called "Route MIDI thru to midi driver". Restart BIAB and see what happens.

If that doesn't work ...

1. Uncheck "Use VST/DXi", restart BIAB and see if it works.

2. Next, I'd leave the "Use VST/DXi" box unchecked, keep the above outputs (GS Wavetable) progressively work through the other input options.

Let us know how you go!

Good luck,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Should see the BB keyboard indicating input regardless of what Output is selected.

Starting to think this may be some sort of Driver issue. Sometimes a Driver will work with some programs, not with others.

And make sure that any other programs that might call the same driver are shut down completely when testing, another minimized program might have it and not be inclined to share.

Have you checked the website mfr for a newer driver release or is that a Class Compliant keyboard?

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Should see the BB keyboard indicating input regardless of what Output is selected.

Another day, another new snippet of BIAB information learnt! Thank you once again, Mac.

Bart,

When I read Mac's above post, it made wonder. Are you use ASIO as your audio driver? If so, try changing to MME and see if that helps.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
His Screenshot shows ASIO (Always on...) is invoked.

I doubt that the audio driver is involved here, as we are talking the tiny MIDI input data.

But I suppose anything's possible.

When I'm troubleshooting I'll try things that are seemingly unrelated just to rule them out, every once in a while doing such might also change something that yields a clue as to what's really going on.

--Mac

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Did you try the "MIDI monitor"? (the MIDI button)

Under the filter settings, the source should be set to "Computer MIDI Input"
and the channels and events should all be marked on with 'X'. The monitor should
indicate any messages that are received from the keyboard.

If you don't see any activity here, I think you won't see it anywhere else in the
BIAB program either.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
megafiddle has a good suggestion there.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Well, great to see you guys thinking up all these options! Thank you. Here it goes:

"Control VS-100" is the Sonar V-Studio 100, an external soundcard. I use it for all music stuff and this used to work on BIAB 2010 (the last version I had before the current). Again, clicking the virtual keyboard yields sound in this setup.

I select GS Wavetable Synth and Route MIDI Thru to MIDI Driver -> no input from Impulse but sound from virtual keyboard

GS Wavetable Synth + VST off -> no input from Impulse but sound from virtual keyboard

Control VS-100 cannot work with VST off, since the soundcard doesn't have any soundbanks.

To cut a long story short, no input (visual or aural) from keyboard in any combination.

Moving on:
The Impulse is USB class-compliant. Novation provides a driver for so-called Automap features, but I haven't got it installed. No other programs are open while using BIAB.

Changing from ASIO to MME doesn't make any difference.

And finally, the MIDI Monitor shows no activity when inputting from the Impulse.

One final thing: when I had BIAB 2010 everything worked but with a different keyboard. So I set up the old keyboard in the configuration I used to have, but that, too, didn't register any input from the external keyboard. And of course, I also get no input from the EWI-USB. And both instruments work flawlessly in Sonar X2. Which leads me to think it must be a problem in BIAB.

So, not much further than we were. I'm going to put the question to Novation as well (have been hesitant about it, since I have more faith in forums than in support), but any suggestions are very welcome, naturally.

Thank you all very much!

Veteran
Veteran
Hmmm...

I wonder if SampleTank as you VST/DXi is creating issues.

1. Click on on the VSTi icon.

2. Click through the different tracks (Bass, Piano, Drums, etc.) and remove all software synthesizers.

3. Once that's done, click "Default Synth" at the bottom of the list and add "VSC DXi" as the synth if your computer has a 32 bit operation system. If you operating system is 64 bit, choose TTS-1 (which is probably there because of having Sonar).

Just another thought.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
i'm wondering if the Novation Impulse 49 keyboard works in realband?

installing BiAB and realband only, no real tracks or other options in a different directory for test purposes may be an option

in the past when i've had issues like this i've used Autoruns for Windows v11.34
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
to temporarily disable all but essential divers to try and determine which was Causing the problem

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Try doing a Return to Factory Settings from the Options menu inside BiaB - Select the Second Choice in the list, which not only returns the user setting to defaults, but also will re-invoke the MIDI/Audio driver selection Wizard in same fashion as a first install does. Follow the Wizard prompts when they come up and re-select your settings from there.

This could be a result of a corrupted settings file's data in BB, Return to Factory should clear such things up.

And -- if it doesn't, will provide one more clue as to what's not happening, so it is certainly worth trying IMO.

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
OK, one by one:

For some reason I can't find TTS-1 but I have loads of other VSTi's. Tried Kontakt5 (among others) but it doesn't work. Playback is fine, virtual keyboard is fine, no input from Impulse.

I did a full reset to Factory Settings, but no results.

Then I started up Realband and had to define my MIDI driver setup. Chose Impulse in, Control (VS-100) out and CoyoteWT as synth and then I got this:

Error opening input driver: Impulse
A non-defined external failure has occurred (I have to translate this from my Dutch OS)

Then I chose MIDIIN2 (Impulse). Same result.
Then I chose EWI-USB. Same result.
Then I chose MIDI (VS-100) and then CONTROL (VS-100) with the same results.
And then I'd run out of options.

Seems to me this is tell-tale though I'm not at all sure what tale it tells.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
O, and then I remembered I still have another instrument: the You Rock Guitar, which also works perfectly in Sonar. But alas, same error in RealBand. So I have three instruments from 3 different manufacturers and they all don't work?

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bart,

If this were my problem, my next step would be to send and email to support@pgmusic.com and included the link for this thread.

There's a great deal of information contained in here. Because Support have a database to call on, it's likely that some of the things said in this thread suggest possibilities for solving the problem.

The more I'm reading this, the more I'm wondering if it's an operating system problem. To help get some background regarding this ...

1. What is your operating system?

2. Is it 64 bit?

3. Is this the same operating system that you were using for running BIAB 2010?

4. What is the path of the folder that BIAB occupies?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200