You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#189681 - 01/11/13 06:10 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] speaking of .PAT files...
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
About a year ago I invested quite a bit of work into creating a custom patch map for BIAB and also one for RB. I have several expansion cards with similar patches scattered all over the place, so I created the patch map in a way that arranged all similar patches sequentially in the menu, so I would never have to search.

Anyway... I can't find either one now! Does the default patch map get overwritten without being backed up when a new version is installed? If so, BUMMER!

#189682 - 01/11/13 07:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Pat Marr]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Patch map for what device?
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#189683 - 01/11/13 07:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Pat Marr]
Andrew - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Hi,

There's no default .PAT file for Band-in-a-Box. If you had created a .PAT file and had it in your bb folder before, it should still be there. (Unless you had just modified an existing .PAT file - in that case it may have been replaced by the "factory" one). If you can't find your file, try searching your hard drive for *.pat and then sorting the results by date modified.

For RealBand, the patches.ini may have been overwritten with the default one, although check to see if there is a file in the \RealBand\RB2013_backup folder. It is a good idea for us to pay closer attention to this file when installing RealBand. If you make a custom patches.ini file, save a copy of it as mypatches.ini in your RealBand folder.

#189684 - 01/11/13 09:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Andrew - PG Music]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
I thought we were talking about .pat marr files!
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#189685 - 01/11/13 09:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Robh]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

. If you make a custom patches.ini file, save a copy of it as mypatches.ini in your RealBand folder.

Oh how I HATE bein' the big ol' dummy who didn't do the obvious smart thing.
Thanks Andrew.. you're right, I should have stashed a copy somewhere on a different drive.

(Actually, I could have sworn that I DID stash more than one backup, but I can't find any)

Quote:

I thought we were talking about .pat marr files!

Robh, as we say affectionately heah in Nawth Carlinah... "You ain't right, boy!"

Quote:

Patch map for what device?

Matt, Roland XV3080 with several expansion cards. A standard patch map for that device comes with the installation, but it doesn't have the instrument grouping I built into mine.

#189686 - 01/11/13 09:58 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Pat Marr]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Right, that's why I asked, to see if it was a supplied file. Too bad, what happened.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#189687 - 01/11/13 11:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Matt Finley]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

ah, I DID back them up after all! Found them on a different drive!

#189688 - 01/12/13 12:01 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Pat Marr]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Great. By the way, I rewrote the .PAT file for my Roland Fantom, placing copies of my most-used patches grouped at the top, which sounds like what you did. It does make things easier to find.

#189689 - 01/12/13 08:38 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Matt Finley]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
I recently found myself relying on the ini file I uploaded to the support area.So that's another idea; send it to support to add to the file list and they keep a copy for you!

Saved me from having to hook up an old drive to find it.

#189690 - 01/12/13 10:11 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: rharv]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

I recently found myself relying on the ini file I uploaded to the support area.So that's another idea; send it to support to add to the file list and they keep a copy for you!

Saved me from having to hook up an old drive to find it.

Yes indeed, doing this will not only preserve a "cloud" type backup of your file, it may just be what someone else needs who has the same setup and you can help out others. Even if they don't have all the additions to their synth that you have, they could edit your file to suit and that's still a huge timesaver for them, I should think.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#189691 - 01/12/13 10:47 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Mac]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Pat, you might have hit upon sompin'

I been keeping all my files on one of the 160 drives i got a couple years back.

Fact is i have three of those rascals now, and i store the current one after installing on hard drive to protect it. I take the second oldest one and format it and copy the new one to it, and use it as my mobile system. The oldest one is formated and serves as storage for all files and notions.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#189692 - 01/12/13 01:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Robh]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Be advised that full backup is not just copying to another media device.

Full backup also entails storing a copy in a completely different physical location as well.

This sage advice often goes unheeded by even corporations and banks, only to find out the reason why after a devastating event, natural disaster, theft or fire.

Dutifully backing up server 1 to server 3 in the same rack...

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#189693 - 01/12/13 02:51 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Mac]
Shastastan Offline
Expert

Loc: CA
I'm using Carbonite in addition to an hd backup. If you have Carbonite, you can designate any files that you want them to backup. This also gives a "cloud" backup.

FWIW

Stan

#189694 - 01/12/13 04:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Shastastan]
Mac Offline
Veteran

YES, online backup outfits such as Carbonite or Moxy are an excellent way to back things up. But due to the annual cost, we only do that here on the little woman's business laptop. My stuff, I do the backups just like in times past.

BTW, even just walking that backup USB drive copy out to the car, if it is not parked in the same house, can provide a bit of dual location safety.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#189695 - 02/07/13 09:41 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Mac]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
I can't remember what the line is that you put in the front of a .pat file to automatically disable the Roland numbering. I have the .pat file for a keyboard, but it keeps defaulting to the Roland setting, and I hate changing that every time.

Gary

#189696 - 02/07/13 09:51 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Gary Curran]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Here you go, Gary. This instruction was on one of my Roland files.

The default is to use OneBased Patch Numbering, like Roland uses
; Since Yamaha and some others are persisting with numbering patches
; starting at 0, we support this in this list. If the numbers you
; are entering are zerobased, put a line with the word ZEROBASED as the
; only word in the line. Removing the semicolon from the next line
; would accomplish this;
; ZEROBASED

#189697 - 02/08/13 08:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Matt Finley]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Pat, aren't all your files Pat files?

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#189698 - 02/09/13 12:01 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: Mac]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Quote:

Be advised that full backup is not just copying to another media device.

Full backup also entails storing a copy in a completely different physical location as well.

This sage advice often goes unheeded by even corporations and banks, only to find out the reason why after a devastating event, natural disaster, theft or fire.

Dutifully backing up server 1 to server 3 in the same rack...

--Mac

Live version
Backed up version of Live version (off site)
Development version
Source Control (most recent of both dev and live with revision controls)
Databases (and backups) to match each version of each site

Keeps me up at night sometimes
Tonight especially.

I had a stressful night that started with rebooting a web server hosting 272 websites on 43 different IPs and each site having their own database on another server.
Once the rebooted server lost the IP's for specific sites it got hectic.

Multiple location backups is important, as Mac mentioned.
Having a way to keep track of it all (Source Control) can also be important.

/can finally relax now that all sites are reporting status as Live
//MSP monitoring; worth looking at for any serious business

#189699 - 02/09/13 05:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: speaking of .PAT files... [Re: rharv]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Thanks Matt, that's just what I was looking for! Appreciate it, guys. Old age sucks.

Gary

PG Music News
Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

Forum Stats
27989 Members
57 Forums
53996 Topics
446053 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
mononino, alphanumeric onl, Firebird, PMAudio, Ed Mace

27989 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 407
David Snyder 177