Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#189681 01/11/13 04:10 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
About a year ago I invested quite a bit of work into creating a custom patch map for BIAB and also one for RB. I have several expansion cards with similar patches scattered all over the place, so I created the patch map in a way that arranged all similar patches sequentially in the menu, so I would never have to search.

Anyway... I can't find either one now! Does the default patch map get overwritten without being backed up when a new version is installed? If so, BUMMER!

Veteran
Veteran
Patch map for what device?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

There's no default .PAT file for Band-in-a-Box. If you had created a .PAT file and had it in your bb folder before, it should still be there. (Unless you had just modified an existing .PAT file - in that case it may have been replaced by the "factory" one). If you can't find your file, try searching your hard drive for *.pat and then sorting the results by date modified.

For RealBand, the patches.ini may have been overwritten with the default one, although check to see if there is a file in the \RealBand\RB2013_backup folder. It is a good idea for us to pay closer attention to this file when installing RealBand. If you make a custom patches.ini file, save a copy of it as mypatches.ini in your RealBand folder.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I thought we were talking about .pat marr files!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

. If you make a custom patches.ini file, save a copy of it as mypatches.ini in your RealBand folder.

Oh how I HATE bein' the big ol' dummy who didn't do the obvious smart thing.
Thanks Andrew.. you're right, I should have stashed a copy somewhere on a different drive.

(Actually, I could have sworn that I DID stash more than one backup, but I can't find any)

Quote:

I thought we were talking about .pat marr files!

Robh, as we say affectionately heah in Nawth Carlinah... "You ain't right, boy!"

Quote:

Patch map for what device?

Matt, Roland XV3080 with several expansion cards. A standard patch map for that device comes with the installation, but it doesn't have the instrument grouping I built into mine.

Veteran
Veteran
Right, that's why I asked, to see if it was a supplied file. Too bad, what happened.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
ah, I DID back them up after all! Found them on a different drive!

Veteran
Veteran
Great. By the way, I rewrote the .PAT file for my Roland Fantom, placing copies of my most-used patches grouped at the top, which sounds like what you did. It does make things easier to find.

Veteran
Veteran
I recently found myself relying on the ini file I uploaded to the support area.So that's another idea; send it to support to add to the file list and they keep a copy for you!

Saved me from having to hook up an old drive to find it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I recently found myself relying on the ini file I uploaded to the support area.So that's another idea; send it to support to add to the file list and they keep a copy for you!

Saved me from having to hook up an old drive to find it.

Yes indeed, doing this will not only preserve a "cloud" type backup of your file, it may just be what someone else needs who has the same setup and you can help out others. Even if they don't have all the additions to their synth that you have, they could edit your file to suit and that's still a huge timesaver for them, I should think.

--Mac

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Pat, you might have hit upon sompin'

I been keeping all my files on one of the 160 drives i got a couple years back.

Fact is i have three of those rascals now, and i store the current one after installing on hard drive to protect it. I take the second oldest one and format it and copy the new one to it, and use it as my mobile system. The oldest one is formated and serves as storage for all files and notions.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Be advised that full backup is not just copying to another media device.

Full backup also entails storing a copy in a completely different physical location as well.

This sage advice often goes unheeded by even corporations and banks, only to find out the reason why after a devastating event, natural disaster, theft or fire.

Dutifully backing up server 1 to server 3 in the same rack...

--Mac

Expert
Expert
I'm using Carbonite in addition to an hd backup. If you have Carbonite, you can designate any files that you want them to backup. This also gives a "cloud" backup.

FWIW

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
YES, online backup outfits such as Carbonite or Moxy are an excellent way to back things up. But due to the annual cost, we only do that here on the little woman's business laptop. My stuff, I do the backups just like in times past.

BTW, even just walking that backup USB drive copy out to the car, if it is not parked in the same house, can provide a bit of dual location safety.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
I can't remember what the line is that you put in the front of a .pat file to automatically disable the Roland numbering. I have the .pat file for a keyboard, but it keeps defaulting to the Roland setting, and I hate changing that every time.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Veteran
Veteran
Here you go, Gary. This instruction was on one of my Roland files.

The default is to use OneBased Patch Numbering, like Roland uses
; Since Yamaha and some others are persisting with numbering patches
; starting at 0, we support this in this list. If the numbers you
; are entering are zerobased, put a line with the word ZEROBASED as the
; only word in the line. Removing the semicolon from the next line
; would accomplish this;
; ZEROBASED

Veteran
Veteran
Pat, aren't all your files Pat files?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Be advised that full backup is not just copying to another media device.

Full backup also entails storing a copy in a completely different physical location as well.

This sage advice often goes unheeded by even corporations and banks, only to find out the reason why after a devastating event, natural disaster, theft or fire.

Dutifully backing up server 1 to server 3 in the same rack...

--Mac

Live version
Backed up version of Live version (off site)
Development version
Source Control (most recent of both dev and live with revision controls)
Databases (and backups) to match each version of each site

Keeps me up at night sometimes
Tonight especially.

I had a stressful night that started with rebooting a web server hosting 272 websites on 43 different IPs and each site having their own database on another server.
Once the rebooted server lost the IP's for specific sites it got hectic.

Multiple location backups is important, as Mac mentioned.
Having a way to keep track of it all (Source Control) can also be important.

/can finally relax now that all sites are reporting status as Live
//MSP monitoring; worth looking at for any serious business

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Matt, that's just what I was looking for! Appreciate it, guys. Old age sucks.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,465
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195