Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#191177 - 01/21/13 03:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Brallan]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi again, Brad.

Quote:

I beg to differ, Robert. The "and," IMO, serves to bring the listener immediately into a continuing story.

As mentioned above to Robert, Sheila Davis, in her book - "The Songwriting Idea Book", says almost exactly what you say. For me, the word was the spring board that launched me into this song.

Thanks for the Tom Waits link. He's certainly a songwriter who stamps a huge signature on his material. If I had 0.1 of his ability, I'd be very happy!

Regards,
Noel

#191178 - 01/21/13 03:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: boehm]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Guenter,

I appreciate your thumbs up. Thank you for having a listen.

All the best,
Noel

#191179 - 01/21/13 03:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Tano Music]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Tano,

Good to see you! The two phrases you isolated came about because I wanted the music to do something different at that point. Then, when I had an idea about how the melody should go, I played around with words for a few days to try and get something that worked. They were the end of result!

In relation to the song's "carpet", I can only take a little bit of credit there. PG Music's BIAB and RB deserved 95% of the credit for that. As you know, this software is a songwriter's dream-come-true.

Kind regards,
Noel

#191180 - 01/21/13 04:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Noel,

Some quality songwriting there! Wonderful mix on the bed tracks! Also great vocal by Jason.

A BIG two thumbs up from me!!

Greg

#191181 - 01/23/13 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Achordocaster]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Greg!

Thanks for those thumbs up. I spent a long time on the mix for this one. It was also the first song I used Ozone to polish the final mix. I have to hand it to the iZitope guys, they really know how to make a mix shine.

Thanks again!
Noel

#191182 - 01/23/13 07:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Noel,

This is a terrific song. Simple and complete at the same time. Sounds like a hit to me. A true "accomplishment" of songwriting. To be able to keep the lyrics of a song simple, at yet, MEAN SO MUCH. Splendid.

The tracks and mix are perfect. The vocals are spectacular - even if you did "cheat" <tee hee>. I would have liked a link to your original....

Keep 'em coming!!!

floyd

#191183 - 01/25/13 01:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: floyd jane]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Floyd,

I had to cheat!!!! I don't sing anywhere near as well as you do and so it was necessary to call in the professionals. Thanks for the kind words! Do I owe you anything?

When I write a song in AABA, I always keep in my mind that The Beatles managed to have a gigantic hit with "Yesterday" by using only 84 words. Maybe one day I'll discover how to make 84 words work like that for me *laugh*. In the meantime, what I do is to write lyrics and then go through them and try to streamline them by reducing the word count by around 10%. It's always an interesting exercise!

One again, thanks!
Noel

#191184 - 01/25/13 02:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
WSE1 Offline
Enthusiast

Great song. You're a great singer.

#191185 - 01/25/13 07:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Noel,

All I can say is outstanding! Great song, and really shines with the vocals on it! Very impressive!

Steve

#191186 - 01/25/13 07:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
+10 to everything said. Exquisite!

#191187 - 01/26/13 03:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: WSE1]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Great song. You're a great singer.

Hi Sal,

Thanks for having a listen! I'd love to wear the compliment "great singer" but, at best, I'm only somewhere around "enthusiastic person who tries hard" *laugh*. I called in a professional on this one.

Once again, thank you.
Noel

#191188 - 01/26/13 03:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: cubanpete]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Mike (Cubanpete),

I appreciate your taking time to drop by and listen to "Always There". I've never have a "+10" before. Thanks for that. It's a perfect start to the day

All the best,
Noel

#191189 - 01/26/13 03:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Steve Young]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Steve,

I have to agree with you, the Jason's vocal is certainly the polish that shines the song's shoes. If you heard his version side by side with mine, you'd understand just how shiny his work is! Thanks for have a listen.

All the best,
Noel

#191190 - 01/26/13 04:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Quote:

I'm not quite sure how to interpret your last sentence but I guess it's a good thing for songs I write to have my mark!

Yes, it's a good thing. You like to use asymmetrical constructs, and unusual rhythmic choices. A lot of your songs are "meta" in the country and broadway style, in the sense that the singer makes sophisticated word and rhyme choices that show that they're aware they're singing, instead of going for a more "speaking" voice.

Quote:

Hope all is sailing along well for you and your family

Thanks! We're doing well, but there are several waves of illness still sweeping across the country, so we've got our fingers crossed.

Cheers!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#191191 - 01/29/13 01:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: dcuny]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi David,

Thank you for giving me this additional insight. You've really made me think about my music from a whole new perspective and I appreciate that. I know I'm going to be pondering your thoughts as I drive to work this morning.

Best wishes,
Noel

#191192 - 02/01/13 05:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Noel,

I almost missed this one. You have a great tune here - excellent all the way. Love the mix as well.

Bob

#191193 - 02/02/13 06:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: rsdean]
musiclover Offline
Expert

Great song and mix Noel and fantastic vocals as well, I think a song like that would go down well with a boy band as they have lots of lady fans. Boybands seem to be the rage in the UK and Ireland for the last few years, dont know about Australia.

Noel I know that you use Ozone in your mixodwn I think you said before that you use one of the cd master presets.

Just interested to know did you use the same preset in this song as sometimes I find that my songs are lacking volume when I mixdown and obviously there is a way to get that as you have proved.

Keep it up Noel, one of these days I'm sure some big star is going get hold of one of your songs.

All the best.

Musiclover

#191194 - 02/08/13 05:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: musiclover]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Bob,

I've been so busy at work that I nearly missed seeing you telling me you nearly missed this one! LOL! Sounds like there's a song in those words just waiting to escape

Thanks for taking time to have a listen and for the words of encouragement. I appreciate the Saturday-morning smile you've just given me.

All the best,
Noel

#191195 - 02/08/13 06:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: musiclover]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi musiclover

I'm awfully sorry for taking so long to get back to you and to thank you. Work has been evaporating all my time and there's been little left over for much more than offering a few people help in the other forums. Thank you for all your positive comments. I really appreciate them.

Regarding Ozone ...

I used the below preset with "Always There" without any alteration.

Also as a general part of my work flow ...

After I render the final mix, I open the song in Goldwave and then maximize the waveform. When I do this, I raise the volume past the normalization value so that I chop the tops off some of the waves that have greater variation. This is another way of "limiting" the signal and can be done in most wav processing software. (Ozone does have a limiter that will do this but I have yet to learn how to drive it properly. So until I manage to figure that out, I'll keep doing it this way!)

The image below shows what the finished wave form for "Always There" looks like.

As you can see, it's like someone has used a pair of scissors and has chopped off the tops and bottoms of the waves to make them flat. I do this by maximizing the sound to 1, 1.5 or sometimes even 2.0 rather than simply normalizing it to 0 or -0.3. One needs to be careful limiting the waves because if too much is applied, it causes noticeable distortion of the sound.

Hope this helps,
Noel

#191196 - 02/09/13 07:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Always There" [Re: Noel96]
musiclover Offline
Expert

Thank you very much Noel for taking the time and the trouble in helping me with this. Its really appreciated.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 7 and 10 (32 bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro,Band in a Box 2018 Cubase 5.0 and Cubase elements 7.0.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

YouTube Find - Love it (with Band-in-a-Box 2018)

YouTube channel EmtpyHallToones uploaded a video of their guitar performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!

Click here to watch.

Forum Stats
27630 Members
50 Forums
52253 Topics
432535 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
lauzah, soucychapiro, RMF ENT Music, rH7yB6bGKL, VTR8ve0Hhj

27629 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 197