Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Just wanted to write to say I'm following this thread with interest. Paul, thanks for what you are making!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
ditto

Veteran
Veteran
ditto their dittos!!

Also you have NO NEED to apologize with things like… "I found and fixed my first dumbass mistake." Until folks start sending you money for you time, talent and hard work and even then they don’t need to KNOW it was a mistake (call it a feature you decided to remove )

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Until folks start sending you money for you time, talent and hard work and even then they don’t need to KNOW it was a mistake (call it a feature you decided to remove )

Larry

yeah, Paul.. I hope you plan to charge for this, because it's worth paying for!
Let me know the price and I'll send you a check as soon as you get it to the point where you feel satisfied with it.

Maybe Notes Norton would market it for you since he already has a system set up for online shopping. And your target audience is the same as his.

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Let me know the price and I'll send you a check as soon as you get it to the point where you feel satisfied with it.

Thanks Pat but I never charge for software I release. I do it because I enjoy it and to charge would make me feel like it's a job. So it's going to be unrestricted freeware as always.

Besides, the people on this forum have been helpful and this is an opportunity for me to give back.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Just wanted to write to say I'm following this thread with interest. Paul, thanks for what you are making!

You're welcome Matt. I always wanted to use my SD2 and VWorks with BiaB and this little program has accomplished that. Now I just hope others will get the same fun out of it.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Veteran
Veteran
Paul, I've had Roland hardware synths for so many years that I really fell behind on software synths. I still love my Roland Fantom XR but would love to be able to access a software bass, for example, along with it. That's why I'm not a good beta tester for you but may well become a devoted user of your utility.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Pat but I never charge for software I release. I do it because I enjoy it and to charge would make me feel like it's a job. So it's going to be unrestricted freeware as always.

Besides, the people on this forum have been helpful and this is an opportunity for me to give back.

Paul,
my hat is off to you! Making a utility that's this useful freely available is a very gracious and unselfish thing to do! I'm sure a lot of us will derive great benefit from your gesture of good will... people all over the world no doubt, given the scope of PGMusic's customer base

Veteran
Veteran
Paul, this is great news. If I understand correctly what you are creating, I would be able to use soft synths as well as hard synths and vocal processors from within BIAB...is this right?

I typically don't use BIAB but instead use RB for just this very reason...I want to work with both hard and soft synths. Your work here will open up a whole new world to those of us that want to use all of our toys in BIAB!

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Paul, this is great news. If I understand correctly what you are creating, I would be able to use soft synths as well as hard synths and vocal processors from within BIAB...is this right?

Yes, that's correct. You wil be able to send a single midi track to a hardware synth, harmoniser, vocal processor or any other hardware midi device. Depending on your setup you may or may not also hear the output (there must be a synth in the chain somewhere to hear it).

Quote:

I typically don't use BIAB but instead use RB for just this very reason...I want to work with both hard and soft synths. Your work here will open up a whole new world to those of us that want to use all of our toys in BIAB!

That's the exact motivation that got me looking into this. I have a Ketron SD2 which has some really nice voices which I can never use in BiaB since I prefer soft synths for guitars. Now I can use both.

I do realize RB can do this but it isn't the same for just jamming along with. BiaB is so much friendlier for accompaniment.

Veteran
Veteran
Wow...this is fantastic! Just what myself and I'm sure many others need to bring us back to BIAB. I've pretty much walked away from it and use RB exclusively but really miss the BIAB song creation and accompaniment functions.

I'll keep checking in to follow your successes. If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Here is the final (I hope) beta version 0.92b. If there are no more big issues I'll rename it as version 1.0 and move on to another project. I have another idea I think you will all like if I can make it work.

Meanwhile here's the low down on the redirector.

You can only access an unused midi port so you can't have multiple instances on different tracks unless they are accessing different ports. Should you want to send more than one track to your hardware synth you can put the redirector on the default slot and put software synths on the slots you DON'T want to send to your hardware synth. I tested this and it does work.

To get your VoiceWorks or VW Plus working decide which track you are going to use and put the redirector on that slot. Set midi force channel = 9 (or whatever your unit uses). Set your unit to use midi notes for harmony or correction. It should work. I got mine functioning.

Now in chord mode I think it should work as above but to get true chord output I think you'd need a midi style that does chords only. Since the midi is being redirected you won't hear any output if VWs is the only device on the hardware port. If you daisy chain a hardware synth as well you will hear the midi as well as power the VWs.

So enjoy and keep me informed how things work for you.

Paul

Veteran
Veteran
Paul,

I'm disappointed to report that now it doesn't work here at all, not even the hardware synth

and sometimes when I pick a port from your drop down menu, it says the port is not active (green light doesn't come on)

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Paul,

I'm disappointed to report that now it doesn't work here at all, not even the hardware synth

and sometimes when I pick a port from your drop down menu, it says the port is not active (green light doesn't come on)

That's really strange. It's working completely fine for me. Can you check the file date on the dll? It should be 1/27/2013. If not then there is some issue with the zip file. I check into it tomorrow.

Veteran
Veteran
actually more experimentation got it to work with the hardware synth, but on a completely different port. I have 3 ports, midisport 2x2 (ports A and B) A=roland synth, B=voiceworks

I also have an M-Audio Ozone keyboard with a MIDI out port. Tonight IT works, but ports A and B don't

But even when hard wiring that port to the voiceworks, still no luck

what other settings could be different?

1) In MIDI options, under "USE VSTi/DXi synth" do you have the "route MIDI thru to MIDI driver" checked?

2) is your audio driver ASIO or something else?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi pwarren and "million" thanks for the fantastic plugin!
It works exactly as you told.

You can only access an unused midi port so you can't have multiple instances on different tracks unless they are accessing different ports. Should you want to send more than one track to your hardware synth you can put the redirector on the default slot and put software synths on the slots you DON'T want to send to your hardware synth. I tested this and it does work.

To get your VoiceWorks or VW Plus working decide which track you are going to use and put the redirector on that slot. Set midi force channel = 9 (or whatever your unit uses). Set your unit to use midi notes for harmony or correction. It should work. I got mine functioning.

Greetings,
popboy

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

what other settings could be different?

1) In MIDI options, under "USE VSTi/DXi synth" do you have the "route MIDI thru to MIDI driver" checked?

2) is your audio driver ASIO or something else?

I'll start here. I have "route MIDI thru to MIDI driver" checked and I use the ASIO driver from Focusrite. The "route MIDI thru to MIDI driver" shouldn't have any effect because of the ASIO driver. And ASIO vs MME shouldn't affect the routing of midi.

Quote:

actually more experimentation got it to work with the hardware synth, but on a completely different port. I have 3 ports, midisport 2x2 (ports A and B) A=roland synth, B=voiceworks

I also have an M-Audio Ozone keyboard with a MIDI out port. Tonight IT works, but ports A and B don't.

That's something at least. I think that's saying something is different about how your midi ports are installed and used.

The first thing you should check is whether BiaB is using any of the ports. Under "Opt|Midi/Audio Driver Setup" make sure "<No mid/sound output" is selected in the "Midi Output Driver" list. Or alternatively the "Microsoft GS Wavetable". This way we can be sure BiaB doesn't hold your hardware ports open. Also check that any other programs aren't accessing these ports either. I would suggest making sure your controller is off for the time being too.

Now I would try opening a song with midi on the melody track and insert the midi redirector on the melody channel with 'force midi to channel 9" (or whatever port your VWs supports). Make sure you select the correct midi port even if it is highlighted in the VSTi. It's the process of selection that opens the port for use. If the green status light doesn't come on it's telling you there's some reason it can't open the port (usually in use by some other program including other instances of the VSTi redirector.

I would also suggest you download and install MidiOx and MidiYoke. You can then use MidiOx to monitor the oputput from BiaB. Int that case you'd send your midi to a MidiYoke port and connect MidiOx to route the chosen MidiYoke port to your desired hardware port. Then you can see the BiaB output and capture a file of data that I could look at for analysis.

I hope this helps for now.

Paul

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Hi pwarren and "million" thanks for the fantastic plugin!
It works exactly as you told.

I'm glad it works for you and you like it. It looks like there'll be at least one more development cycle to help Pat get it working so, if you can, please check this thread and try any new beta versions so I can know it works for other people as well. Thanks.

Paul

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
A real issue with this VSTi is the fact that midi ports are volatile. They may not always be installed on your system. For example a USB midi port may be powered down. In addition, midi ports might not always load in the same order. Example; a USB port is powered up after bootup.

Because of this if you save a song with the midi redirector on a track it might not point to the same port you hooked it up to. In fact it may not point to a valid port at all.

Now there's no way, under the VST specs, to save the ports ProductName. Only long integer sized numbers can be stored.

So you'll need to treat this VSTi differently than you might others. If you save a song with the redirector on a track you'll need to check that it's connected to a valid port. A pain in the rump I know but unfortunately unavoidable as far as I can see.

Now if your system has limited numbers of ports, like mine, and they are always connected prior to bootup then this probably won't be an issue for you. I hope this doesn't make the VSTi useless to you. It is still pretty cool for my purposes.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Something else about some USB MIDI devices that I've noticed, with some programs, I have to attach the USB device to the port and let the OS recognize the device before opening or starting that program.

Some programs will even look like they "see" the USB device in their connection listing, but choosing it won't work if the device has not been recognized by the system first.

This can be confusing, for there are some programs out there that will recognize said device "on the fly" - allowing us to plug it in while the program is still running, yet the program must have a routine to be able to use the device that way.

Band in a Box is one of those programs where the USB device, whether MIDI or Audio or both, must be plugged in and recognized by your OS before starting up BB.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,727
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197