Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
LtKojak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
... to generate MIDI data from the playing of a RealTrack?

Specifically the drum track.

Yes? No? Maybe? It depends...?

I'm all ears!

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Quote:

... to generate MIDI data from the playing of a RealTrack?

Specifically the drum track.

Yes? No? Maybe? It depends...?

I'm all ears!

You forgot one choice..."I don't know."...which is my answer. (-:

But I'm curious as to why you would want to and that answer might help others to help you.

Best,

Jim

Veteran
Veteran
LtKojak,

This will probably interest you.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...true#Post372978

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Veteran
Veteran
These videos explain how to copy Real Tracks in a way that will yield MIDI data. Never mind that they seem to be talking about Ukulele. It works with any Real Track that has Realchart notation. It will not work with drums, because as far as I know none of the real drums tracks has notation.

http://screencast.com/t/8zrPgQIDln

http://screencast.com/t/8bM45o68dr

http://screencast.com/t/rF8aaAXU

The videos are found on this support page:

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

Last edited by flatfoot; 01/26/13 02:15 PM.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
LtKojak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
It's a shame it doesn't work with drums.

Oh, well... would've been too easy, isn't it?

You need to make MIDI Super Tracks with Drums too.

Are you listening, Peter?

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Don't know if there are any Drum Supertracks in our future, but we already have Live MIDI Drums in many of the MIDI styles. These were made using a live drummer playing a MIDI drumkit and, of course, recorded as MIDI and then placed into the Style.

On top of that, to get MIDI drums, typically all you have to do is load a MIDI style and go to the RealDrums control panel and turn off the "substitute realdrums" command at the top. The Green Drums will turn to Yellow, indicating that a MIDI part is playing on the Drums track now.

--Mac

LtKojak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

Don't know if there are any Drum Supertracks in our future, but we already have Live MIDI Drums in many of the MIDI styles. These were made using a live drummer playing a MIDI drumkit and, of course, recorded as MIDI and then placed into the Style.

On top of that, to get MIDI drums, typically all you have to do is load a MIDI style and go to the RealDrums control panel and turn off the "substitute realdrums" command at the top. The Green Drums will turn to Yellow, indicating that a MIDI part is playing on the Drums track now.

--Mac

OK, so HOW can I distinguish between a Real Track style and a MIDI one?

Is it written somewhere and I my old, tired eyes didn't notice it?

Last edited by LtKojak; 01/29/13 10:11 AM.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
In the Stylepicker, Realtracks styles are identified by an underscore (_stylename) in front of their name.

This underscore will also show up in the Style slot on the main page view of BB,

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

No, Peter does not need to make any midi drum Super Tracks. Why you ask? Because the whole reason for Real Drums is it's a real player playing a real drum kit. A real player playing a midi drum kit is not even close to a RD track because you're hearing whatever midi drums your synth has. Look at what you're using as a synth now and hear what a midi drum track sounds like. A drum Super Track will sound exactly the same, true a Super Track may have better patterns or something but the actual sound quality itself? Whatever your synth's midi drum kit sounds like. Unless you're using one of the top line drum sound modules like EZDrums or Jamstix, midi drums all sound like crap. Some of the Sampletank midi kits sound pretty good but midi drums are nothing like hearing a real drummer playing on a real drum kit.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
LtKojak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, Peter does not need to make any midi drum Super Tracks

And who are YOU to say what Peter may or may not to do? What are you his agent or something?

And why the attitude?

Quote:

Why you ask?

Because I'd like to know. What is wrong with that, huh?

Quote:

Because the whole reason for Real Drums is it's a real player playing a real drum kit. A real player playing a midi drum kit is not even close to a RD track because you're hearing whatever midi drums your synth has. Look at what you're using as a synth now and hear what a midi drum track sounds like. A drum Super Track will sound exactly the same, true a Super Track may have better patterns or something but the actual sound quality itself?

So you don't approve PG Music make Super Midi tracks, I suppose? You must be very angry, as Peter did not ask for your permission to proceed, isn' it?

You should know that feature alone made me upgrade from v. 12.5 to v. 13.

Quote:

Whatever your synth's midi drum kit sounds like. Unless you're using one of the top line drum sound modules like EZDrums or Jamstix, midi drums all sound like crap.

You don't know who I am, or what I use, or what my needs are.

If you're not capable to make a midi drum track sound good, it doesn't mean others can't do it, Bob.

This lame post is based on the wrong assumption that everybody is like you and have the same needs.

Got news for you, Bob. I'm NOT like you at all!

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

but midi drums are nothing like hearing a real drummer playing on a real drum kit.

Bob

I will respectfully disagree with you here Bob. If you google midi groove clips you will find a number of excellent midi drum grooves that are played unquantized by real drummers on a midi drum set. Groove Monkee http://www.groovemonkee.com/en/ comes to mind to name one. These are not loops but actual midi recordings done live, much like RTs. Of course with Midi it is much easier to manipulate the drum parts not to mention that you can also put each drum on it’s own track and, depending on your sound source, it’s own midi channel.

I will agree that you do need a good sound source, not just for drums but for all instruments. GM doesn’t cut it.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

--Mac

Read that again.

Now read this, taken from the BiaB FAQs:

Quote:

105. In the StyleMaker, what is the difference between a drum grid pattern and a live drum pattern?

There are two types of drum patterns - (1) patterns that you input into the drum grid editor, and (2) "live" drum patterns that are imported from MIDI files, usually after having been recorded using an external synth/drum machine.

Many of the newer Band-in-a-Box styles use live drum patterns, which are identified in the main StyleMaker window with a red outline around the pattern. To edit an existing live drum pattern, select the pattern and click on the Notation button to open the StyleMaker Pattern Editor. You will notice that each different MIDI note is for a different drum sound. Live drum patterns cannot be edited using the drum grid editor.

To record a new live drum pattern, you must first record the drums outside the StyleMaker. You can use either Band-in-a-Box or a MIDI sequencer such as PowerTracks Pro Audio. Save the recording as a MIDI file, then use the Pattern | Import Pattern from MIDI file command to import it into the StyleMaker.

Note that by default all drum patterns are 4 beat (1 bar) patterns but you can specify any live drum pattern to be an 8 beat (2 bar) pattern by checking the "2 bar pattern OK" box in the Pattern Options dialog.

Invoking a Style that uses MIDI Live Drums, we can utilize MIDI synths that tout great drum samples in them, some rivaling the sound of RealDtums.

Exporting the Live MIDI drum track to a fullblown sequencer, such as RealBand or Powertracks, we can even separate the drum intruments to different tracks and record a different sound to audio from each one. This can be really good to do for certain Rock, Latin and other genres where you wish to be able to both control the drumkit by the individual instrument, as well as the ability to apply audio effects to just one drum instrument, for example, the Kick.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Mario as far as the good existing grooves in midi format out there. I have a few of those and using the right drum synth (i.e. EZDrummer for instance)makes the heck of a difference, they sound very natural and convincing, as they should, since they are recorded by actual drummers.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Veteran
Veteran
Correction...EZDrummer is not a synth, I should have said "a VST" instrument. Do not want somebody confused.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Veteran
Veteran
Ivan?.? Was he just here?

John Conley
Musica est vita
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
I am one of those people with MANY top-of-the-line sound modules, and generally I prefer the sound of those MIDI modules over Real Tracks, Not to mention being able to easily edit MIDI tracks. I frequently slice & dice real tracks in my Sequencer, but that's another story.

Real Tracks are great for quickly putting together a professional sounding performance, but when I'm polishing that "Fabulous New Song" I go with MIDI as much as I can.

Boyd
Win10 - 16GB-RAM - BiaB 2019 - Mixbus 4 - Slate Bundle - Komplete 10 - Ozone 8 - Neutron 2 - Waves Gold
Ample Sound Guitars & Basses - Pianoteq 6 - SSD5 - SD3 - JamStix 4 - Omnisphere - UVI Falcon - EastWest Play
Sonarworks Reference 4 -
Veteran
Veteran
Pepe, sorry I didn't mean to set you off buddy. Yes, lots of midi drum tracks can sound very good I have Jamstix, Sampletank and other synths all with good midi drum kits. What I use them for is to create certain fills and song specific punches to blend in with a Real Drum track. I know all about working with midi drums but even excellent midi drums still can't hold a candle to a good Real Drum track in my opinion and the opinion of probably 95% of the posters on this forum.

A lot of this depends on what kind of music you're into. Some styles lend themselves to midi drums and they sound very good but other styles don't regardless of what midi synth you use. The styles most popular here include jazz, classic rock, country and latin. I can listen to a song in any of those styles and can tell in about two seconds if it's using midi drums or Real Drums. You may not have been posting here Pepe when the Real Drums first came out about 5 years ago. The difference is huge and every one of us posting right now in this thread said the same thing at the time. The first set of RD's created an absolute sensation around here.

All I meant to say was after all that and how excited we all were to have RD's and all the comments about how the RD's alone (this was before Real Tracks) made all the midi instruments sound so much better, creating midi drum Super Tracks seems like we'd be going backwards not forwards because you can get all the killer midi drum loops you want from all over the place including like Mac said, inside Biab itself. That capability is already there and we were already doing everything we could to make the midi drums sound better until the RD's came out and changed everything.

There are a few here and maybe you're one of them, who prefer working with midi because of the precise editing ability and that's perfectly ok, I like that too but the reason I said Peter doesn't need to bother with midi drums is because I know the history here and I doubt very much if new midi drums would get many people excited about it.

Also, I just personally hate when someone uses that phrase, "are you listening, Peter?" You're assuming everybody thinks that, that this has been a problem for years and Peter has just been ignoring you. That's pretty presumptuous on your part, don't you think? Just simply say your request and your thoughts about it, leave out that "are you listening" part.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Thinks about SuperMIDI drum SOLOS, though...

LtKojak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

I am one of those people with MANY top-of-the-line sound modules, and generally I prefer the sound of those MIDI modules over Real Tracks, Not to mention being able to easily edit MIDI tracks. I frequently slice & dice real tracks in my Sequencer, but that's another story.

Real Tracks are great for quickly putting together a professional sounding performance, but when I'm polishing that "Fabulous New Song" I go with MIDI as much as I can.

That's my process EXACTLY, to the last comma.

Boyd, you're a man after my own heart.

Thank you for the answer. After hearing Bob's words, I thought that I'd become a freak of nature. Now I don't feel so alone anymore.

Thank you again!

Yours very truly,

Last edited by LtKojak; 01/30/13 12:28 PM.
LtKojak Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

I just personally hate when someone uses that phrase, "are you listening, Peter?"

Looks like the "tongue in cheek" sense given by the EMOTICON I put at the end of the phrase just flew over your head.

Quote:

You're assuming everybody thinks that, that this has been a problem for years and Peter has just been ignoring you. That's pretty presumptuous on your part, don't you think? Just simply say your request and your thoughts about it, leave out that "are you listening" part.

And now you're lecturing me by assuming I'm assuming what you think I'm assuming?

Am I the only one that sees the irony here...?

I'm sure you mean well...

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195