Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
We're planning on adding some additional forums to the list of PG Music forums, and wanted suggestions on what forums we could add.

Here are some ideas that I have, and please comment or change them.

1. "How Do I ...?"
This would be covering many topics on computer music topics. They don't have to be BB related
e.g. How Do I .... Record my Guitar into my DAW
How Do I .... Minimize buzz and computer sounds in my recordings.
how Do I ... Pitch correct my vocals live
Thanks to JoeV for the inspiration for this forum. He has posted several topics, and they have been of keen interest to many, with helpful replies from many forum members.

This would differ from the tips n tricks in that it would allow questions. We would edit this forum, to remove (or move) messages that have drifted off-topic.

2. Help my Song!
This would be intended for Songwriting. You would post whatever you have for a song, and people would provide input. For example, you might not be a songwriter at all, and you want to get started. You just have an idea for a song (some lyrics, but not completed). People can give you suggestions, tips on changing words etc. to make the lyrics better. Note: It would still be "your song", and contributions from members would be freely given to you.

It could also be help for other things, like with the Mix of the song or whatever. The key point here is that you are *asking* for help and critiques of your song, so people would be free to offer help (in the User Showcase, the songs are presented as finished product, so people are not expected to suggest many changes.

3. AddOns for Band-in-a-Box
This would be for third parties, to list/discuss their add-ons for BiaB (styles, songs/lessons, loops, RealDrums, VST's etc.)

Please comment on the above, and also any other forum ideas? Or different names for the above.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I love #2! When do we start!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
the idea of a forum for buying and selling gear has been mentioned more than once. We all have some stuff we'd like to move in order to buy something else.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

We would edit this forum, to remove (or move) messages that have drifted off-topic.

THIS is the most interesting part, and I might add, likely to be the most helpful all around.

Especially if the Forum Rules are edited to include such things a hijacked threads rather than someone starting a new thread for a new question, posts about XXXX on YYYY forum, things like that.

Those are some good ideas.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
another interesting forum might be REVIEWS, where people offer their evaluation of gear, software, books, online training courses, plugins etc that pertain to the hobby of making, performing, or learning about music

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Peter, those are three very good ideas for forums!!!

Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I don't like the idea of another forum that could include "how do I....." questions about BIAB programs as this is already covered with existing forums. It is better to keep all such questions on the existing forums. If you start such a forum it should state that it is NOT for BIAB related questions.

Tony

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Creation and Sharing of MIDI styles.

This would probably be an active area of interest.

Thanks for input request!

For #1 a subject How do I produce an in the hand CD?
Thru some number of questions and excellent responses and help
was able to create and produce my Single CD... Bucket list item.....

Last edited by seeker; 02/16/13 07:33 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like a good idea. I think mixing and songwriting suggestions would be helpful in it's own forum.

Quote:

you might not be a songwriter at all, and you want to get started. You just have an idea for a song (some lyrics, but not completed). People can give you suggestions, tips on changing words etc. to make the lyrics better. Note: It would still be "your song", and contributions from members would be freely given to you.

I don't like the idea of encouraging someone to use others to write their "song idea" for them instead of learning the craft themselves while it remains "their song" - just saying. This wording is sending the wrong message imo because

"(some lyrics, but not completed)" That's crossing the line. We call that "co-writing" in songwriting circles where I come from. If I help with a word or a small suggestion for a song you've written that's one thing. If I flesh out an idea or write any new lines that are used then I am co-writing that song. Slippery slope.

I like Pat's idea of Gear reviews and discussion too where it's all in one place.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

If I help with a word or a small suggestion for a song you've written that's one thing. If I flesh out an idea or write any new lines that are used then I am co-writing that song.

Josie, could you elaborate why this is a bad thing?

If the argument is just because someone should "learn their craft", it seems to me a legitimate way to do it.

But if you're saying that the ownership of the song quickly becomes a legal mess because the co-writer is automatically part-owner of the song, that's a different story. I've heard plenty of stories where people have claimed "co-writer" credits on a song because of some minor suggestion, and I agree that's problematic.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I gotta go with Josie on this one:

Quote:

I don't like the idea of encouraging someone to use others to write their "song idea" for them instead of learning the craft themselves while it remains "their song" - just saying.

Including a forum that lets other folks “guide” you into a song isn’t the same as writing a song. It’s collaboration. Nothing wrong with that, but it ceases to be “your song”, regardless of the forum rules about input from others.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with someone critiquing a song AFTER it’s written, but I couldn’t possibly care less about what they think of the song before it’s finished. I’ve never gotten an idea about one of my songs from anyone that I even considered worthy of consideration. (Let me stress this. Not even a little bit).

If I had wanted someone else’s input, I would have simply suggested that they write a song for my listening pleasure. But stay the hell out of my song creation. You either like it or you don’t. Don’t ask me to help write one for you.

My vote is a thumbs down for that forum because it would only provide a crutch for someone who can’t complete a song on their own. Write a song. Ask for critiques if you want them. Then write another one. Don't ask someone else to do it for you.

Song writing principles would be fine, but that is easily handled on the OT forum.

Someone else can give you tips for riding a bike, but only you can peddle it down the street.

The “How do I” forum is a good idea, as is “Add On’s for Band-in-a-Box”. But I do think they would take away from the OT forum.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 02/16/13 11:54 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A separate forum, well moderated, for jokes would be a good idea rather than Don's massive thread.

I agree with all Sundance and bobcflatpicker have said about songwriting. ie Mr Gannon's suggestion of "help my song". I too feel that this would not be a positive move as collaborations seem to naturally occur.

+1 for an "add-ons" forum. Maybe with a list of free vsti's that work with the Software.

Some forums should also be "read only" for people that have not registered their PG products. This would not stop newbies gaining insight into PG Music software and we would not loose the people who post and do not have PG software as they could still post in the off topic forum, for example. I have learnt/gained a lot from one in particular.
This could include suggestions on how to improve the products and/or manuals as in the tips and tricks forum now.

Alyn

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I belong to a couple songwriting sites where there is peer-to-peer critiquing, suggestions and assistance going on all over the place. It is not that big of a deal to be worried about. None of these songs are going to be radio hits (ha, ha). It doesn't mean the songs aren't any good, it just means that they are folk just like us. If they were on the road to "hits", they wouldn't have time to hang out in songwriting forums.

I am neither for nor against a songwriting section -- but since there are more dedicated sites to this endeavor, it might be a case where it isn't needed. However, maybe some folks use this as a their primary internet site and it would be useful. It would take a while to gain traction, though.

Yes, if one of my songs ever became a "hit", it wouldn't surprise me to get sued by someone on an internet forum claiming to have "helped" me during the creation phase. Of course that person will be someone that didn't really help at all (ha, ha). It is a low probability risk, I do believe, though.

As a songwriter, I enjoy helping other songwriters (aspiring and otherwise) improve their songs by doing critiques and offering suggestions where I can. 90% of the time my opinions are ignored, because the songwriter wants to do what they want to do -- I am OK with that.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
The chances of a song from the songwriting forum becoming a "hit" are indeed small, but it's not impossible. If a song did take off, the incentive for people to claim a share of the royalties would become very tempting. It looks like possibly only the lawyers would win.

In order to make it work, I think you would need a disclaimer similar to that signed by session musicians, but it would be a nightmare to administer.

The used gear forum sounds good, as long as it doesn't start to rival ebay!

ROG.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Songwriting, peer-to-peer critique forums are (or should be) "use at your own risk" types of places.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
For a songwriting forum, it should be clearly stated in the rules (posted in a 'sticky') that any and all suggestions become the property of the original writer and that no one else has any claim to the work.

the Insolent Lad
Enough small empty boxes thrown into a big empty box fill it full. ~Carl Sandburg
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think all three of Peter’s suggestions are good ones.

As far as co-writing and collaborations I think that should be between the parties themselves. I have collaborated on a number of songs here and over at Kara-Moon. I have also co-written a few with no problems. Of course as you know I also write my own.

One other forum I would like to see is “Hello I’m…..”. This would be a forum where we could all introduce and possibly tell a little bit about ourselves.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Be careful, though, too many of something tends to cheapen all...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Peter, I would love a Joke Thread so long as did not become a Smut Fest. Jokes need not be dirty, racist, or hurtful to be knee-slappin' funny where 'laughter tears' run down the legs.

Quote:

Don,

Your thread is the best thread on the PG forums. Please keep it up!

From a fellow BIABer who believes that humo(u)r need not be dirty, racist, or hurtful in order to be funny.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 02/17/13 07:50 AM.
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
move the educator forum to pg music forums listing page then promote it in schools and at conferences with a yearly contest awarding software for best practices lesson plans

http://www.pgmusic.com/educators/forum/postlist.php?Board=general

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199