Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I ran across Sinsy the other day, and thought it might be a good fit for some forum members who are unable to sing. It's a synthetic singer capable of doing a fairly good job with English.

There are a couple features of Sinsy that make it stand out from other programs. Unlike Vocaloid, it's free. Unlike Utau, it's usable without having to deal with Japanese. It takes MusicXML files as input, and pays attention to various musical markings. It has a fair bit of musical intelligence, and does a good job with putting phrases together in a very musical way.

On the downside, it's got a pretty distinct Japanese accent. It would be nice if they modeled it using a native English speaker, but can you expect for free?

I put together a demo using BiaB: Words Like Smoke

And because I can't stop leave well enough alone, here's a remix: Words Like Smoke (Mix 2)

The music (including the melody) was generated by BiaB using the MIDI PNOMOOD1 style with a couple of added RealTrack guitars, although I tweaked the register of the melody in a couple places. I exported the MIDI file from BiaB and edited the lyrics in Finale NotePad. Sinsy wasn't happy with getting multiple staffs, and I couldn't figure how to remove staffs in NotePad, so I edited it in Notion and did a bit more tweaking of the lyrics.

If BiaB exported MusicXML, it would have been a lot simpler!

The remix was done in Reaper - I started out fixing the guitar strums (they needed to be moved forward) and ended up messing around with the vocal track and Reaper's pitch correction tool. Fun stuff.

Anyway, breaths are automatically added after long phrases - a nice touch. Vibrato is added automatically on long notes, and I'm impressed how well it handled tied notes on the final cadence.

It also works with MuseScore - here's Ave Maria done in MuseScore.

Actually, with the "ze" instead of "the", Sinsy sounds a bit like Natasha Fatale.

Last edited by dcuny; 03/06/13 03:26 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That is astonishing--and good. The expressiveness from the Schubert score is especially (ahem) noteworthy. It is unsurprising that it has a bit of an accent, given that it was taking its cues from Kanji (simplified Japanese ideograms). It is hard to tell from your short sample whether it does better with English text. Even the slightly synthetic quality, something like a cross between a human voice and a Theremin, is somewhat appealing, at least to this electronic composer. Excellent work on your part, too. Thanks for sharing.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David,

Thank you for passing on this information. I'm astounded! It makes me wonder where music will be in 5 years time!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow...that's not bad...perhaps could be better used for background vocals huh? Does it also have male vocals? Can it handle multiple vocal parts for harmony and choir?

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Sounds artificial, artifacts and all that.

Bears watching, though, to see if improvements are forthcoming.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Huh. Okay, that Ave Maria was rather frickin' good.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mac, the Ave Maria link convinced me. Imagine composing full choral arrangements in the very near future using BIAB and nothing else. Its uncharacteristic of you to poo-poo technological advancements no matter how infantile the current state-of-the-art. Have you had your coffee yet? At least my SLP (Speech Language Pathologist) was fascinated and is sharing this link with her SLP friends and I only imagine that she has access to all the latest advancements in synthesized speech. Have a cupa and revisit the link, my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7K0-ttUBng

It has fewer phonyms (sp?) than the sample of Beatles' Yesterday (on same page) but the advancements in technology in just three years is phenomenal.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

. . . it has fewer phonyms (sp?) than the sample of Beatles' Yesterday . . .

Phonemes (said the professional linguist).

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Makes me want to take singing lessons!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
As Richard pointed out, a larger phoneme set would make this program phenomenal for English speakers. But it's "good enough" right now, and BIAB user can start working with this program right away.

Having MusicXML export (of the vocal track only) would be ideal, and I'm hoping MusicXML export gets added to BiaB in the near future.

In lieu of that, if you haven't got a music notation program and don't want to download any software, Noteflight is a web-based program that will import MIDI and export MusicXML. So you could get a free account, upload the MIDI into Noteflight, add lyrics, and export MusicXML into Sinsy.

Most synthetic singer programs use a piano roll sort of interface. Because Sinsy generates good performance by default from the score means that it's less cumbersome than other programs. Plus, most of this software needs additional drivers for Japanese language support, even if you're using in English.

There are a number of reasons that this software has taken off in Japan - the limited phoneme set certainly helps. Vocaloid was initially the leading software for synthetic singing, but the free Utau program has started to surpass it. An interesting feature of Utau is that users are able to create their own voice banks instead of being locked down to using commercially released voices.

Instead of just recording single phonemes, voice banks consist of recordings of consonants and vowels (CV) - "sa", "so", "see", and so on. More sophisticated voice banks have more complex combinations - VCV and CVVC. So there are very smooth transitions between phonemes.

Unfortunately, creating equivalent voice banks for English is a much larger undertaking, because there are a lot more combinations. But it's clearly doable.

In any event, it plays nice with BiaB, creates musical results and is free. That's very cool.

Don, interested in using it for any songs?

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Very cool! Thanks for pointing it out David.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hear voice synthesis daily listening to NOAA weather radio. An article about the evolution of the voices used is here: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/newvoice.htm

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hmmmm....apparently Yamaha is behind Vocaloid and a new English version, albeit by a Japanese vocalist, is now available: http://www.vocaloid.com/en/ and here: http://www.ssw.co.jp/en/products/vocal3/megpoid/index.html .

Wouldn't it be great if PG partnered with these guys to develop an US-based linguistic algorithm to create the ultimate Band in a Box!

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Don, interested in using it for any songs?

David, not at the moment, I'm steeped in Songwriting Class, but afterwards, I'll prove Mac true: I'll be "full of it!"

I think we've gotten the good Doctor's attention and that's what we had hoped to accomplish. "Take it, Peter!"

I am so chuffed by all you've done in researching this subject, David. You've acted "above and beyond the call..." Thank you so sincerely.

With Dr Peter carrying the puck to the goal, I'll rest comfortably now.

@David I'll take a look at my current compositions but, unfortunately, I routinely delete my .sgu and .mgu files after rendering to .wav or .mp3. Color me stupid, but please try to stay within the lines.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi David,

What controls do you need for a note, other than the time, duration, note number, and the lyric
For example, at bar 1, beat 1, you might want it to say "The" and last for one beat/

How many other parameters can you enter, for example, is there a strength setting (and is it 0-9?) and vibrato information?

Can you be more precise for the timing, for example, to start at bar 1, beat 1, tick 23 (out of 120 PPQ), and last for 87 ticks (120 PPQ).

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There's no doubt that Vocaloid can be quite good. Here's a comparison of all three programs doing "Yesterday":

Yesterday (Vocaloid, "Oliver" voice)
Yesterday (Sinsy)
Yesterday (UTAU, "Camila Melodia" voice)

Vocaloid is a commercial product. The editor runs around $100US, and doesn't include any voice libraries. Voice libraries run about $130US. There are a number of characters that target English, although they all seem to have accents of some sort.

The results can be very good, but it requires spending money and learning a new software program.

Jinriki Vocaloid ("manual Vocaloid") consists of manually cutting and pasting together phonemes of a singer, and creating a new song. (It helps when the language has a limited phoneme set).

UTAU is a free program that started out automating that manual process, and eventually grew into a much more powerful program. Voice banks are created by users, and quality varies dramatically. There are some UTAUoids that rival the quality commercial Vocaloid voice banks.

But... Getting good English results from UTAU can be a challenge, because it requires running a Japanese program with limited translation, and finding a good English voice bank.

Sinsy apparently came out of a research project. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it becomes commercial at some point. There is currently only one English voice for it, and it appears to be built from a Japanese voice, so it's got a pretty strong accent.

Using Sinsy only requires uploading a MusicXML file of the vocals, and just about every music notation program (except for BiaB, hint, hint) does that. It's really easy.

There are other options. For example, MelodyAssistant has a VirtualSinger. It sounds like they're using the free Festival voice synthesizer. Listening to the VirtualSinger demos gives a good comparison to what's changed in the technology.

I think this technology is still very much in development, so adding it to BiaB is an iffy proposition. But adding features (like MusicXML) that make interfacing with tools like Sinsy makes a lot of sense.

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I communicate with the R&D folks at Dynavox and, just yesterday, sent them the link to Ave Maria but haven't heard back yet.

In all fairness to Dynavox, their target market is Speech Synthesis, not singing/music. With no one to keep a fire under them and cattle prod them frequently, the project will remain on the proverbial back burner indefinitely. Therefore, I need someone who can get the project moved OVER the burner. I can provide names and email addresses if anyone wants to accept the challenge.

David? You get things accomplished. Would you consider accepting the task?

Thanks.

Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

What controls do you need for a note, other than the time, duration, note number, and the lyric

It depends which program you're talking about.

Sinsy takes well-formed MusicXML. There are a lot of elements in MusicXML that aren't required, and it looks like it'll accept a pretty minimal MusicXML file. As I mentioned, just about any music notation will generate MusicXML, and while it's a bit verbose, it's not that hard to generate.

Off tangent for a moment...

I haven't got a Vocaloid, but I know that it's got it's own VSQ file format. It imports MIDI data, and I suspect that's how most people interface with it.

I won't even touch UTAU... There's way too much fiddling to get the Japanese localization working on my machine, and it's only half-translated anyway.

The free Festival system had an old XML file format that looked a lot like what you're describing - a note list of phonemes with pitch and timing. You can see an example of it here. I haven't kept up with Festival, and the document is pretty old (in computer years) - back in 2002.

End of tangent

Quote:

How many other parameters can you enter, for example, is there a strength setting (and is it 0-9?) and vibrato information?

The Sinsy documentation (on the main page) says:

The following musical symbols are supported: tie, slur, staccato, accent, dynamics, crescendo, decrescendo, breath mark.

Quote:

Can you be more precise for the timing, for example, to start at bar 1, beat 1, tick 23 (out of 120 PPQ), and last for 87 ticks (120 PPQ).

Yes, MusicXML will let you get down to that resolution. There are two portions to MusicXML: the displayed notation, and the actual performance. Like MIDI, you specify you base tick value, and you can give the timing relative to that tick. Here's an example (sorry, but the indentation is lost):
Quote:

<measure number="6">
<attributes/>
<note>
<pitch>
<step>B</step>
<octave>5</octave>
</pitch>
<duration>192</duration>
<voice>1</voice>
<type>half</type>
<dot/>
<lyric number="1">
<syllabic>single</syllabic>
<text>this</text>
</lyric>
</note>
</measure>

Really, the simplest thing to do is export a MIDI melody from BiaB, import it into just about any music notation program, add lyrics and export the MusicXML.

While Sinsy is really cool in that it automatically does this stuff, I don't know what their licence is, and I don't know that there's any guarantee that the web site will stay up, and how accessible it will be.

-- David Cuny

Off-Topic
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

In all fairness to Dynavox, their target market is Speech Synthesis, not singing/music.

I think this is a key point. Music requires a lot of things that "ordinary" speech synthesis doesn't. Here is a paper that does a good job explaining it.

The frequency envelope of the voice needs to take into account a number of additional factors:
  • Portamento: Notes that belong to the same word or phrase should be smoothly connected, instead of jumping from note to note.
  • Preparation: Before moving to the next note, the pitch may move in the opposite direction first in preparation of the change.
  • Overshoot: Before hitting the target pitch, the pitch may overshoot the target.
  • Vibrato: Sustained notes will typically have an added vibrato.
  • Fluctuation: Holding the pitch perfectly is unnatural, so some low-level fluctuation needs to be added.
All of these are easily observed when looking at the frequency match line from a pitch correction program. (I left off "undershoot" and "scooping", which I see on my own vocal way too much!)

The paper cited above looks like it's got enough information to implement these features. I'd want logic to prevent vibrato on notes less than a particular duration.

There's also the question of how well their voices will translate to singing. I assume the DynaVox model automatically handles formant preservation since they're synthesizing the voice in the first place. The paper cites the addition of a "singing formant" at about 3kHa, along with amplitude modulation based on vibrato (volume changes along with the vibrato).

Quote:

With no one to keep a fire under them and cattle prod them frequently, the project will remain on the proverbial back burner indefinitely. Therefore, I need someone who can get the project moved OVER the burner. I can provide names and email addresses if anyone wants to accept the challenge.

If the DynaVox people are truly interesting in this, I could prod them.

I don't know how difficult this would be to add to their product, but the basic ideas are pretty straight forward. Basically, it's a matter of creating a dynamic frequency envelope. That'll get you a long way to a more realistic singing voice.

There was a project like this for the free Festival system, but it seems to be mostly dead links now. While Festival is legible, it's not really that pleasant to listen to.

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195