Go To
#197293 03/06/13 11:37 AM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Hearing test...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G60hM1W_mk&noredirect=1

(it's legit, not a joke or something). Obviously not a full audiological assessment...

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Is there some noise stuff in there (i'll let you know what frequency it is when I get there. Hey, I can hear that low rumble at 20Hz!!! The "noise becomes harder to hear at 400hz up, because it all becomes so loud (even I know the energy level is probably the same for each frequency!). I keep having to turn it down -- at 8K I am down to 5% volume. OK at 12khz I have to turn up the volume again. uh-oh I can't hear anything too well (and not at all) above 13khz!

Quote:

... People lose the ability to hear sounds of high frequency as they get older. The highest frequency that a normal middle-aged adult can hear is only 12-14 kilohertz. Also, the hearing range for men worsens more quickly than the hearing range for women. This means that women will have the ability to hear notes of higher pitch than men of the same age do. -- http://www.gsu.edu/images/AuxiliaryImages/Frequency_Range_of_Human_Hearing.pdf

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
There is some oscillation at different frequencies once you get up around 8KHz that reminds me of BFO from old shortwave receivers, and that's confusing.

If this little test is near accurate, I've recently lost a little more in the high end, since I go out after 10KHz. Just a few years ago, I was fine to 13. Also have to wonder what YouTube's high compression is doing to the audio.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Hey, I can hear that low rumble at 20Hz!!!

Kevin... is it possible that the "low rumble" is the anticipation of lunch?

I start up about 30 Hz, and poop out around 13kHz.

Brad -- My FAWM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've lost high end hearing over the years also. I topped out at 8 kHz. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Brallan #197298 03/06/13 02:13 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Hey, I can hear that low rumble at 20Hz!!!

Kevin... is it possible that the "low rumble" is the anticipation of lunch?

I start up about 30 Hz, and poop out around 13kHz.

Ha, ha -- that wouldn't surprise me. I just tried it again and the noise I complained about is gone. OK, when 20Hz comes up I don't hear anything -- but I hear something before it gets to 30Hz. But ears still fail at the 13khz level. So what does that mean for our mixing skills?

raymb1 #197299 03/06/13 04:07 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I've lost high end hearing over the years also. I topped out at 8 kHz. Later, Ray

I'm with Ray on that. Virtually nothing above 8kHz. Probably from being too macho to wear hearing protection in too many years in high-noise industrial environments. It certainly explains why I boost the high end while listening to Pandora. Excellent test for my new Barrys though. They followed the full audio spectrum faithfully.

As a non scientific comparison, I'd like have Josie (Sundance) weigh in. Bet she can hear 16kHz no problem.

I think society's hearing loss is partly a result of higher ambient noise levels.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
On the low end, I heard it starting somewhere between 20-30; on the high end, I stopped hearing it after it flashed 13k, but with rather inexpensive headphones. I'll have to try it again later with better headphones.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #197301 03/06/13 06:52 PM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
13khz is good. Better than me. My son made it to 17K, and from the looks on my cocker spaniels face, he was still interested in it around 20k.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I don't know when the ambient noises in my ear took over. But I guess it was around 13 kHz and I did not use headphones but tiny speakers. The speakers are also the reason I could not really hear tones below 50 Hz.

I have to do it once more with headphones.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I started hearing between 20-30 Hz and stopped at 11 kHz. I don’t think that’s too bad for an almost 67 year old guitarist, is it?

Ps - Sometimes I think that my wife talks to me at around 13 kHz

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #197304 03/06/13 08:00 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
In reading about this, it is funny that places advertise ringtones above 13K so most adults won't hear that you are getting a message. Secret phone call alert!

Yea, if you don't use head phones and don't have a sub woofer, then 50Hz is probably the normal low cutoff.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
There's a famous MP3 that only teenagers can hear. Some store owners play it to prevent loitering.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"But ears still fail at the 13khz level. So what does that mean for our mixing skills?"

You should be OK for most instruments. You can always add a bit of 14-16K for sparkle - you just won't hear it!

90 dB #197307 03/07/13 02:52 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Studio Engineers oftentimes calibrate their cans (headphones) to compensate, equalize. That works only if you still have SOME hearing in that particular band of freqs. Another possibility that comes to mind would be freq doubling or dividing but that certainly wouldn't help in mixing/mastering and you'd still need SOME hearing within that band..

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
From what I have read (but nothing "definitive" -- mostly forum stuff) ambient noise, drum reverberations and harmonics live up in the 13khz+ range. So while we are not missing any real music if our ears cut out at 12-13khz, we need that stuff in our mix to make it sound more full and "real" (I guess!).

Here's an interesting article on the loss of high frequencies in MP3 files: http://thesession.org/discussions/19642

By the way, the highest note on the piano is the C8 Eighth octave which is 4186.01 Hz (but the harmonics go on up!).

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199