You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#198395 - 03/16/13 10:18 PM [User Showcase] Artificial Voices
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Stimulated by DCuny's post about voice synthesis I started experimenting
with Sinsy and wrote a little song. (Thank you once again for the motivation).
Suitable for the subject I used Trance style and produced in FL Studio.

RealTracks are:
RT1771_Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkMovinMuted Ev16 130
RT1444_Sax, Alto, Soloist JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
RT1273_Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopUplift Ev16 120

As I happened to get a trial version of Vocaloid's Megpoid (Gumi) I made a second
version with that voice.
I personally prefer Sinsy because it sounds really artificial. Gumi is a little
too 'human'.

http://soundcloud.com/boehmusic/artificial-voices-sinsy
http://soundcloud.com/boehmusic/artificial-voices-gumi-version

I suggest good speakers or better headphones to get the
subsonics and panning effects.

Guenter

#198396 - 03/16/13 10:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Guenter,

Very impressive! I didn't catch all the words on either version but the aural texture of a human voice is clearly recognizable on both. Personally, I preferred the Gumi version.

Once more I'm amazed by what you do!

All the best,
Noel

#198397 - 03/16/13 10:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Guenter,

As exceptional and interesting as everything else you have done. The music is beautiful and thoroughly enjoyable. The instrumentation - great - as always - the sax and guitar are quite tasteful and... tasty.

I actually preferred the gumi version, because... I could understand some words (quite well). Some I could not. That made it like some secret message that I might figure out if I listen enough.... intriguing. (the sinsy, I could not understand much...)

Cool stuff. I am a fan. Uhg... Guenter... good...

floyd

#198398 - 03/17/13 06:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: floyd jane]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

Thanks for posting. One question, with these voice synths, how do you control the pronunciation, for example, if you want them to say amen, how do you control whether it is ahh-men or ayy-men ?

#198399 - 03/17/13 07:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: PeterGannon]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Guenter !

I was mighty impressed with your artificial
voices indeed !:)Soon we old singers will be
completely replaced by artificial ones (LOL) !

Cheers
Dani

#198400 - 03/17/13 09:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: dani48]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Guenter,

in my opinion this is an excellent piece of work even before the artificial voices enter the equation!

You have a real knack for assembling interesting instrumental parts into one cohesive sound quilt. What's your musical background? Surely you aren't just a hobbyist. Hobbyists tend to make nice songs that sound like other nice songs they've heard before; but all of your creations have an air of originality that I don't often see/hear on hobbyist sites.

Very nice work! It would be an understatement to say that I enjoy your songs.

#198401 - 03/17/13 11:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Pat Marr]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Thank you all for your nice comments.
@Noel and Floyd: I think it's not important to understand all the words. But here are the "lyrics":
"Looking up, looking down
illusions all around.
Artificial voices
Supernatural sound
I'm flying to the sky
I'm soaring way up high"
@Peter: In Vocaloid there is an English Dictionary with a phonetic transcription which you can customize.
For example: I wanted "natural" to be pronounced as 2 syllables. So I made up the words
"natch" n@tS and "ral" r{l.
So amen could start with eI or Q@.
In Sinsy you must experiment with the writing of words. I could try it with "armen".
@Dani: Don't bother. We won't experience that.
@Pat: Yes, I'm a hobbyist. I started learning the piano at the age of ten, with sixteen the bass and later drums and saxophone.
For twenty years I played in a band (mostly in American officers' clubs), and for another twenty years I ran a sound studio.
But that was all hobby beside my actual job of being a teacher.
(Although one of my subjects was Music for about twenty years).
Now I am retired and only want to be creative. That's why I experiment a lot. I just love the process of creating.
And it's great fun to find out that some people like my stuff.

Guenter

#198402 - 03/17/13 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
GDaddy Offline
Expert

Loc: Homosassa , Florida
Carl...

Swingin' Electronic Music...

Stationed in Ansbach, 1957-58, I played gigs around the 7th Army and for Fasching.

I've played synth guitar (Roland GR-303) and have enjoyed my toys...some listed below,

for many years.....but it must swing, right???
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3

#198403 - 03/17/13 12:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Pat Marr]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Quote:

Guenter,

in my opinion this is an excellent piece of work even before the artificial voices enter the equation!

You have a real knack for assembling interesting instrumental parts into one cohesive sound quilt. What's your musical background? Surely you aren't just a hobbyist. Hobbyists tend to make nice songs that sound like other nice songs they've heard before; but all of your creations have an air of originality that I don't often see/hear on hobbyist sites.

Very nice work! It would be an understatement to say that I enjoy your songs.

+1 Pat said it all for me, you are indeed an original.

Also the Gumi version was my favorite.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#198404 - 03/18/13 07:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Danny C.]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Okay, we know the Real Tracks--but how did you do that bass line? This track is comparable to the best of Stevie Wonder without being derivative in the least. I can think of no higher praise. I bow before Meister Boehm.

Srsly, this thing rocks! I love the electronic setting, and the voice just fills out the palette. Mehr, bitte.

R.

#198405 - 03/18/13 09:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Ryszard]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

Yes, I'm a hobbyist. I started learning the piano at the age of ten, with sixteen the bass and later drums and saxophone.
For twenty years I played in a band (mostly in American officers' clubs), and for another twenty years I ran a sound studio.
But that was all hobby beside my actual job of being a teacher.
(Although one of my subjects was Music for about twenty years).
Now I am retired and only want to be creative. That's why I experiment a lot. I just love the process of creating.
And it's great fun to find out that some people like my stuff.

your musical resume exceeds what I would call a hobbyist. It may not have been your primary career, but the time span during which you were continuously engaged in performing or recording (presumably for pay) puts you (in my opinion) in the pro or semipro category. And it shows in your musical sensibilities... you have the kind of feel for song construction that can only be learned through extended refinement of your ideas and experiments.

You are one of several people posting here whose music really impresses me, and the common denominator among all those masters is the time spent on the craft. A newby with great software can make a really good sounding song using the built-in automation.. .but to create the songs you (and some others here) create requires a LOT of musical sensibility. By that I mean the ability to differentiate between what sounds good and what sounds PERFECT

And you do an AWESOME job of assembling those perfect parts into a song

#198406 - 03/18/13 12:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Pat Marr]
sixchannel Offline
Expert

Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
Hi Guenter
what an amazing piece of work!
I'm not into electronic music but this is AMAZING and may have changed my mind!
I dont think the voices HAVE to make sense - a bit like Carl Jenkins with his "Adiemus" suite.
You manage to blend in so much into a cohesive whole.
cheers
ian
BTW - did I say it was Amazing?

BB2018Plus,520,RB5,Cakewalk GTPro2(2003),Adobe Audition1.5(2003),WindowsXPPro and Win7

http://app.box.com/s/p7lirbbuvjae03dsd4v5

for tracks that use BIAB specifically-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel

#198407 - 03/18/13 01:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: sixchannel]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Thanks GDaddy, Danny, Ryszard, Pat and Ian
for the nice words.
@GDaddy: It's nice you call me Carl. But there has never been anybody named Carl in my family. You're right, it must swing (or rock).
@Ryszard: That's too much. You make me blush. Stevie Wonder wouldn't like that.
@Pat: Ok. Call me a semipro. Thanks a lot for your compliments.

Guenter

#198408 - 03/18/13 02:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Like Noel said, the Gummi version is a bit nicer, because it draws less attention to itself. When I hear something spoken, I automatically want to try understanding it. With the Gummi version, I can just zone out with the music.

And as Pat said, the bass like really makes the song.

Are there still any demo versions of Vocaloid available? It would be useful for my not-so-secret coding project.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#198409 - 03/18/13 02:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: dcuny]
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Guenter
A very impressive piece.

#198410 - 03/18/13 04:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: Ryszard]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Ryszard -

Thanks for the tip on boosting the bass line in Estate. I did it, and, sure enough, it sounds better. My guess is you're a bass player, because you asked exactly the question of Guenter that I wanted to. Namely, where the ,,, did he get that superkickin' bass line? Is the answer somewhere in this list of responses?

Aleck Rand
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#198411 - 03/18/13 04:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: aleck rand]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

WOW!

Guenter, I've been looking in this list for the source of the bass lines. Who - WHAT- did that?
Du bist ein Monster mein Freund! Und damit meine ich nicht einen Mann in einem Gummianzug, die du siehst in den Filmen! Du bist WIRKLICH beängstigend.

Aleck Rand
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#198412 - 03/18/13 09:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: aleck rand]
boehm Offline
Veteran

Thanks David, Joanne and Aleck for your nice comments.

@David: Here you are: https://www2.ssw.co.jp/download/dl_trial_en.aspx
Where do I get information about your coding project?
@Aleck: Here is the source for the bass line:
Who --> me
What --> Sytrus synth (in FL Studio)
I have been a bass player for 50 years (first bass guitars and for some years on keyboard) and that bass track wasn't that important for me. I'm glad so many people like it.

Guenter

#198413 - 03/18/13 11:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: boehm]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Hi, Guenter.

Thanks for the link!

My goal is create a free Vocaloid-like program that can sing reasonably well in English.

I'm focusing on the rendering engine, rather than the GUI. For one thing, I think Sinsy shows that it's possible to get reasonably good output if there's some built-in intelligence about phrasing and such.

There's already a free editor for Vocaloid/Utau written in Java called Cadencii, so there's no need to reinvent that wheel.

I've done some proof-of-concept work. The pitch detection and pitch shifting code seem to work reasonably well. Here's an example. You can ignore the "buzzy" sound - that's part of the original recording. The important thing is that it (more or less) preserves the character of the sound without introducing the "chipmunk effect".

I'm creating a sort of "melodic backbone" of frequency information that includes preparation, portamento, overshoot and vibrato, and while it's pretty rough, it shows promise. Right now, it only renders the melody as a sine wave. Here's an example.

I'm currently in the process of gluing these parts together into a simple rendering engine that can take phonemes sung one one pitch, and follow that melodic curve. Once that's done, I'll can have it start singing "La, la, la".

I've also experimented with cross-fading phonemes together, both with simple time-based crossfades and more complex harmonic-based crossfades (like in Vocaloid). I can't hear much difference between the two. When I add that, I should be able to render simple melodies like "do-be-do-be-do".

If I can get it that far, I'll need to start building a sung database of phonemes. I'm not looking forward to that, because English requires a ton of phonemes. I expect to record blocks of blends in VCV format, like "ahtah ehteh ihtih ohtoh uhtuh aytay eetee ietie ohtoh ...", much like UTAU does. Each of the blends can be used for VCV blends ("...ahtah..."), VC endings ("...aht") and CV beginnings ("tah...").

It's being coded in Java mainly because I'm comfortable coding in it. I suspect it would be fairly straight forward to convert to C or C# when it's done.

I'd considered trying to do this with the UTAU engine, but there's no documentation on it that I can find. Also, it seems to require Japanese localization, and that's a bit of a pain.

If you've got any additional questions, let me know, or shoot me an email - I PM'd you my email address.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#198414 - 03/19/13 09:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Artificial Voices [Re: dcuny]
TexasHeartRush Offline
Apprentice

This is a terrific composition. Well produced.

I love the cross-pollination of soft synths and Real Tracks. BIAB is so unique and makes it so fun add real samples/phrases to electronic music as you can literally write out the progression and the real track 'musicians' will follow suit. Extract those...and you have a well played...pre-played track to add and manipulate. The RT Sax really worked well with this. Soft and yet driving. Great work!~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
National One-Hit Wonder Day!

Today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!

Have you ever created a "one-hit wonder" (that you'll admit to)? Post it to this thread - we'd love to hear it!

Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Forum Stats
27994 Members
57 Forums
54098 Topics
446299 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
nitz, smokinhalfnote, snenamor, yes daddy music, grivers

27993 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 499
David Snyder 181