Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Quote:

Please describe what was wrong recording the tambourine with your existing mic, and what is wrong with recording your acoustics with your existing mics. This could very well be that you don't have a good preamp that can amplify your existing mics without noise.

When I recorded tambourine it wasnt good picking up the jingles (the loose jungles before you hit the tambourine on or off the beat). I've not had any noise issues though. The volume seemed to drop real quick when the tambourine wasnt infront of the mic. My preamp is a Presonus AudioBox 22vsl. Perhaps I should have used a compressor on it?

Not thought about recording my acoustics with this mic before?

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The audiobox 22vsl is a USB powered device, correct? I'm thinking that it's quite possible it does not have sufficient gain before noise is apparent, not room noise, but self-noise of the mic/preamp combination.

As for the reflexion filter - you shouldn't need that with the existing Beyer Dynamic mic. Use the biggest room in your house/flat, that has the fluffiest furniture and carpet - you won't pick up room noise with the Beyer Dynamic recording that way.

Where you will start to need some type of acoustic treatment, is if you buy a condenser mic that has a broader polar pattern and you are in a room that has lots of reflecting surfaces (hard floors, little furniture present, no curtains, etc.)

Before buying the reflextion, does the room you record in have a clothes closet or wardrobe? If so, stuff it with clothing and put the condenser mic in front of that when you record - it will do a much better job than the reflexion filter. At least give it a go first.

Rode is a great brand with a forward looking development view. Hard to go wrong with their products, although you can probably get similar performance with any of the other condenser mics mentioned in this thread, for less financial outlay.

The issue with the tambourine jingle is likely related to the Beyer Dynamic's hypercardioid pattern - might get the pop from the head, but it's going to reject the jingling, because they are off-axis from the mic. It might be a great microphone for acoustic guitars, however - in an untreated room.

Here's what I would do if I were you - I don't know where you are in the UK, but I would call Dolphin and ask if you can order a couple different mics; those in your list, and then some of the cheaper ones like those from sE or MXL, and ask if they will let you try several and take back in the models you choose not to keep. Or perhaps they have some that have come back in from other folks that they are willing to let out for a small price for this purpose.

I think you'll find very little difference between most of the models in the price range of the Rode and on down, similarly featured (same sized capsules for example). None of the recommendations have been necessarily wrong, other than some of the cardioid dynamics would still give you fits with the tambourine sound - the SM 58 and the Sennheiser MD421 (both mics I love for vocals, MD 421 I used to use as a tom and snare mic)

I would instead look for features that I consider to be more important like a high pass filter and pad switch on the mic. In my book, those are more important than the brand. Even the lowly Samson mics on the Dolphin link I provided above will sound very nice paired with a fairly quiet pre-amp. The Samson C03 would be one I would include in the short list and it's less than 100 quid. Multi-pattern, high pass filter switch, and 10 dB pad - boom, that would be on my short list. HIGHLY likely the capsule is made at the same factory as more expensive mics from more respected brands. The Samson SM58 knock-off I have is a great microphone.

You WILL want to high pass filter nearly everything that you record with whatever condenser mic you choose, and having it on the microphone takes away a bunch of low frequency rumble that will find it's way into your recordings without it. Having an on-board pad switch will also increase the mic's versatility immensely for whisper quiet vocals, to overhead microphone use. The NT2-A has all of those features, actually a 2 position HP filter (40 or 80 Hz cutoff), multi-pattern, and a multi-level pad (5 or 10 dB). However, it's probably overkill for the home office recording situation. Save yourself a couple hundred quid and get a nice pre-amp paired with a less expensive multi-pattern condenser.

I suggest high-pass filtering on the mic because you did not mention a mixer - good for you. No need for a mixer with low channel counts, as it is a noise source in and of itself. Most decent mixers will provide a high pass switch on the channel strip, but if you have it right at the mic, you can plug in directly to the interface and record to your heart's desire. However anytime you are routing signal through analog gear, you will increase the overall noise floor of the signal chain. It's unavoidable. Using less gear in the signal chain normally means a cleaner recorded signal.

Back to recording your acoustics with the TG x 80 mic - you will have to remain pretty still as you record, otherwise, you'll get quite a bit of volume inconsistency throughout the recording, the closer you get to the microphone as a nominal distance.

But it probably is a great mic for recording that in an untreated room.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have an Audix mic that is matched to the Bose L1 I bought. It's getting dusty. I need to get back to music. My Mother had 2 serious operations and we have to put her in a nursing home. While that was happening my Dad had a minor stroke, and in a week he got back the use of his right arm and it quit jerking about. I have to get hime twice a day to drive to the hospital, they doctor told him 6 weeks and no further problems and he can go back to driving. He's 85 and wants his car back very much. Oh well....

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You have been missed CCCC! I'll hafta take more careful aim, I guess. Seriously, your caustic wit is always welcome and obviously missing of late. Is there anything I can do for you or Dad?

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks guys for your feedback and advise,

rockstar_not; I mentioned the acoustic filter for use with a condensor mic and not for my dynamic mic. My room is untreated so a filter would be a must. Anyway, all this talk about treating the room is giving me doubts about getting a condensor mic now in part because my PC (on the floor) gives a steady hum.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

rockstar_not; I mentioned the acoustic filter for use with a condensor mic and not for my dynamic mic. My room is untreated so a filter would be a must. Anyway, all this talk about treating the room is giving me doubts about getting a condensor mic now in part because my PC (on the floor) gives a steady hum.

Sheesh!

All of this "treated room" stuff is ridiculous. Sells a lot of Aurelex, though.

Get a decent condenser and a pop filter, learn how to use a gate, keep your preamp signal moderate and get up close to the mic when you sing. Unless they're digging up the road outside your window with a jackhammer, you should be fine.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

The room doesn't have to be treated, but if it's all hard surfaces, you WILL get early reflections into a typical condenser mic if you sing/play medium to loud, that can sound quite nasty - a gate has nothing to do with it because it will be in your sound that is above the gate threshold.

What I suggested to save you some money is to use a clothing closet or wardrobe, that has enough clothing in it that when you stick your head near the opening, or into the opening, you can hear the room levels simply fade away as you speak into it. Start 2m out into the room, simply talking in a normal voice and get closer and closer to the closet/wardrobe opening. It should get very 'dead' sounding as you approach. Any typical clothes closet somewhat stuffed with clothes will work way better than the reflexion filter.

I think I'm going to record a demo of this, because it works so well. I'll hold a condenser mic at a fixed distance away from me while reciting some poetry or something, then continue to recite and approach my 'booth' which is a clothes closet with a GOBO in front of it that has some wedge foam on the back side, angled toward the opening of the closet.

-Scott

Last edited by rockstar_not; 04/01/13 03:32 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"...above the gate threshold..."

What 'threshold'? (The threshold is infinitely adjustable). A properly set gate will eliminate 95% of any dreaded "early reflections".

Here's what you do:

Go into the closet, cover yourself with a heavy quilt, and stand on one leg, holding the mic just above your head (under the quilt, of course).

That will give you that "Pro Studio" sound.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
90 dB, sent you a PM.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
OK, I made a demo tonight to demonstrate that even with a noise gate in place, the room effect on any mic that has a pretty broad polar pattern can affect the quality of the recording - in this case it's a CAD M-177 LDC. It's a single pattern version of this mic: http://www.cadaudio.com/M179.php Quite typical Chinese made capsule, assembled in USA.

Here is the link to the .mp3 file http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/misc/demo...20place.mp3.mp3
It's a few minutes long, just me narrating what the recording environment is; first sitting in front of my DAW - about 24" from the computer screen, getting up and then speaking in my 'booth' which is an open clothing closet, with a GOBO that is adjacent to the open sliding door of the clothes closet, with 4" deep wedge material on it - which I garbage picked over a few months, then walking out into the hallway outside the 'studio' then into the bathroom across the hallway.

All the while there is a noise gate on the mic signal, which shunts very low level sound, but passes all sound above the trigger level. I have also high-passed the signal at about 150 Hz, which is sort of where I like to HP filter my vocals, to keep them from being 'tubby'.

Note that when I'm in the home made 'booth' the high and mid frequency reflections are basically eliminated. This is not a treated room, but I have taken precautions to try to eliminate reflective surfaces in the vicinity of the mic - which is all that the reflexion filter which costs quite a pretty penny, is doing.

It's easily accomplished with clothing and some elbow grease, and just eliminates one more hassle in the recorded signal. I can sing quiet, and loud in this 'booth' and not have significant interaction with the reflective surfaces in the room.

Not trying to sell Auralex or Primacoustic or any other supplier's foam here. In fact the opposite.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 04/01/13 09:02 PM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Thank you, the changes in sound quality are impressive.

Now I've a question that Dr. Google and Dr. Wikipedia couldn't answer: What is a GOBO in your setting? (I only found GOBOs with lighting equipment.)

Guido

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

90 dB, sent you a PM.

From your PM:

“90 dB, I wanted to explain how a noise gate works in the thread - but I will explain it first here to you to give you a chance to do what you would like for your comment

I appreciate the lesson on the use of a noise gate, professor. It's always amusing to receive such condescending advice from an “Expert”. I've only been using them for forty-odd years, so it's nice to finally have them explained to me.

“a gate has nothing to do with it because it will be in your sound that is above the gate threshold.”

You might try using those “settings” on the NG; “Attack”, “Hold”, “Release”, “Lookahead”, etc. You might find that when properly set, one can eliminate most extraneous sound from entering the mic, even the dreaded “early reflections”.

p.s.

I quoted your PM here so that others might appreciate the astounding scope of your arrogance. By the way, have you purchased BIAB yet?

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Well, it was meant to be a PM. I also asked if there was something that I was missing from your inference that a noise gate can manage reflections. Dynamics settings for the gate can be tweaked, but for this type of a signal - my experience (though not 40 years, perhaps 30 if I count a guitar pedal type gate - but that really isn't the same type of signal situation as mic'ed signals) is that this ability to hide reflections has to do with the direct signal to reflection level - like the guitar amp mic'ing that I mentioned in the PM, where the direct signal is fairly overwhelming compared to the reflections.

You now have the source signal. If you can make the different acoustic influences go away with noise gate dynamics settings - then it should be able to be done on this signal - where the direct sound isn't terribly loud compared to the reflected sound at the mic. The signal demonstrates 3 or 4 different qualities based on the local acoustics near the mic - reflections off of various surfaces (computer monitor, foam wedges, light-weight bedroom door, semi-tiled bathroom).

To answer the question about BIAB - no I haven't purchased it yet - I didn't see where that has anything to do with the question about what mic to use nor the ensuing discussion on whether or not to buy a reflexion filter.

I am getting closer to BIAB purchase, for whatever that's worth - and since you asked. I've had my first go with auto-accompaniment software and the experience was generally good and has me thinking about it.

Back to this thread topic. Perhaps we are still talking about two different things? - I'm talking about the early reflections that change the timbre of the recorded signal like what is evident in the demo recording. I think that trying to use dynamics settings in a noise gate will affect the timbre of the recorded signal in a negative way, with some pumping becoming evident - but I would like to hear the result also - maybe you are talking about something different than what I demonstrated in the recording.

For GHincH:

GOBO, at least as far as I know, is a moveable physical screen meant normally to isolate acoustics between various players in a recording space. I think it's a modified abbreviation of 'go between', but I'm not entirely sure about that.

I started a different thread about acoustic treatment where I've got photos of the one that I built, the business side with the foam, and then the other side that is decorated with a colorful throw rug. I didn't build it for isolation between different sources, but basically to give myself basically a way to get manage the reflections off of the hard walls in my 'studio'.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"...I think that trying to use dynamics settings in a noise gate will affect the timbre of the recorded signal in a negative way, with some pumping becoming evident ..."

Actually, no. Not if it's set correctly.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've used a Blue USB mic for most of our recordings that have been posted here -- mainly out of convenience. Last week I bought a XLR interface that provides phantom power and has a USB out...so now I'm back to the Rhodes NT1 that I used in my predigital days. I just did some recording with it (redid the vocal on A Small Suitcase (posted in user showcase) and I'm very pleased with it. From our perspective it has a very warm sound with just the right hint of airiness.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
@Bob,

As much as I don't like to admit it, you were right that the snippet you took from my PM was arrogant.

I'm sorry.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

@Bob,

As much as I don't like to admit it, you were right that the snippet you took from my PM was arrogant.

I'm sorry.

-Scott

No problem Scott. I suffer from arrogance myself.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Citaat:

Sheesh!

All of this "treated room" stuff is ridiculous. Sells a lot of Aurelex, though.

Get a decent condenser and a pop filter, learn how to use a gate, keep your preamp signal moderate and get up close to the mic when you sing. Unless they're digging up the road outside your window with a jackhammer, you should be fine.

Hahahaha! Right on target!
It also doesn't matter what microphone you use: you can get any sound you like using an equaliser. You might even want to try a MyFirstSony radio for nearfield monitors. Should be just the same as real monitors.

Popquiz: what is closest to the truth:

A: I can fix it in the mix
B: crap in equals crap out

Improvement of your room acoustics can be done using inexpensive methods, just like Rockstar-not already wrote. You can also improve the acoustics by using DIY basstraps a. Cornertraps.

As for mics: In the ideal world we have a whole range of mics to choose from for every type of recording. Budget takes you to the real world however. The Rode NT2a is a very versatile microphone (as are other brands and models in that pricerange) and absolutely a good buy that you won't regret. Use a heavy micstand to prevent a dive to the ground.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, did this thread go down a weird path.

Far as I understand it once a signal gets past a gate it is live, right? So while the singer is singing 'I looooooove yoooo' (and the gate is open for that period of time) all early reflections are being passed on for that duration along with the dry signal, unless your gate is smarter than mine. Thus the room affects the recording.

Yes you can control a lot of it, but maybe you should experiment a little. Put the mic in a hallway, or a closet, or stairwell. Put the mic right close to the source and move it back a bit. Compare and adjust.

I have discovered that for lead vocals, I know of one hallway that offers all kinds of choices. Lots of early reflections or very little (depending on mic placement/direction and doors opened or closed). One singer needs the bathroom door open, but another sounds better with it closed.
/I just gotta hope nobody goes in there during a take.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
@mootsman "I've used a Blue USB mic for most of our recordings that have been posted here"

Which Blue? Which songs did you use the Blue on? And how is it for vocals? Been thinking of getting one. USB mics have a bad rep from what I've read on the Internet forums and reviews. Any input is appreciated.

"The desire for fame is the last infirmity cast off even by the wise."
Cornelius Tacitus
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,006
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186