Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#200405 04/08/13 11:12 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
When will BIAB support 64 bit VSTi's? I have BIAB 2012, but it still only supports 32 bit...

Also the manual clearly states a VSTi can be assigned to each part (Bass, Drums, Guitar etc) (check pg 38 of the manual, but it is also mentioned elsewhere) but it refuses to load up more than one in the VSTi load/edit window?

Thanks

joden #200406 04/08/13 11:46 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Joden -

To laad different VSTi's on different tracks, you do that with the mixer window. The first slow is for the VSTi; the 2nd - 4th slots can be used for effects applied to the track.

But remember, that's only for MIDI tracks; audio tracks (RealTracks/RealDrums) don't use VSTi's.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #200407 04/08/13 11:58 AM
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks, but I guess q two is rather moot until 64 bit support is introduced...all my VSTi's (not effects) are 64 bit.

I am already aware of the differences between audio and midi (been using a DAW for decades) but thanks anyway, as you were not to know that...

I am trying to finally find a use for BIAB....but non 64 bit in this day and age is a bit restricting...

joden #200408 04/08/13 12:19 PM
Veteran
Veteran
You certainly have a point Joden but I'm on lots of other forums and this issue comes up all the time. Sometimes it's the other way around where a person has hundreds or in some cases thousands of dollars worth of VSTi's that are all 32 bit, the company hasn't yet come out with 64 bit versions of those plugs so now the guy opens up 64 bit Sonar, Reaper, whatever and his 32 bit plugs won't work. You're the first person I've read about that has all 64 bit plugs but there's no doubt the plugin companies are catching up quickly.

Imagine all the confusing questions these forums get from users who don't really understand the 32 bit/64 bit thing. They open up DAW's in one mode or the other then they have plugs that are both and it drives people crazy. To use one suite of plugs they can only use the 32 bit version of their DAW but to use another suite of plugs they have to use the 64 bit version. It's a mess right now for sure.

I would put your request for a 64 bit Biab in the Wishlist forum if there isn't a 64 bit request already. If there is then add your voice to it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Bob...yeah good points m8, and I agree with all of em For hdd streaming VSTi's 32 bit is fine, but for the modelling ones that NEED all the RAM you can throw at them, 32 bit just does not cut it...as you probably know.

Oh well time to shelve BIAB until another day I suppose. 'twas a good idea at the time

Dennis

joden #200410 04/08/13 12:54 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dennis,

When you say ...
Quote:

I am trying to finally find a use for BIAB....but non 64 bit in this day and age is a bit restricting...

... it made me wonder about what you'd like BIAB to do for you?

I never use plug-ins with BIAB because I use the program only to create audio and midi files that I then take to my DAW. It is in my DAW that I use the plugins to shape and massage the mix of my tracks. Since my DAW supports 64 bit plugins, I'm not at all restricted by the fact that BIAB does not support 64 bits.

I mention the above because if you are going to be using BIAB to build songs and arrangements using a DAW, it is unlikely that you'll need to use any plugins in the program.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #200411 04/08/13 08:54 PM
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
What Noel said.

I couldn't figure out the OP's issue but it seems he was trying to use it for a purpose for which it is not intended to be used.

Best,
Jim

av84fun #200412 04/09/13 11:11 AM
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
No issues at all m8 so nothing for you to figure out

Just saying it cannot run 64bit vsti's...if you do not know the difference between needing lots of ram (more than the 3gig maximum in a 32 bit system) for modelling vsti's as opposed to streaming samples which need relatively small ram allocations, then you would not realise the significance of why 64 bit operation is needed.

As I wrote in another thread, I can always run the VSTi's in an external host with virtual midi ports, but then I don't get the option of saving which VST is being used for each aprt and the vst settings all within the BIAB song structure....

If you play live you would get where I am going with this

joden #200413 04/09/13 01:12 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Joden -

There's a thread on the wishlist for 64-bit BIAB; you should add your name to the request, if you haven't already.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #200414 04/09/13 04:18 PM
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yeah I know John... there are already many requests in so I didn't think one more would convince PG Music t.b.h.

I think if they were at all interested, as 64bit has been around for years, they would have done so by now - even a beta...

No, I think they are content to run along as they are...using the same coding base which is now costing them nothing but bringing in profits, I am only talking about the core OS coding here, not the real tracks, or midi tracks or the other stuff ...why spend all that money to re-code to 64bit just for a "relative" few....

joden #200415 04/10/13 12:06 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with you Joden and while nothing has been happening with this and other "modernize the program" stuff for years I think there's a glimmer of hope. Peter himself started a few threads in the Wishlist forum asking for suggestions about midi, the GUI and the look of the program among other things and every once in a while he will drop a nugget of info that tells us he is definitely on top of what's happening in the computer world.

One thing to keep in mind is most of us here on this forum don't speak Japanese, German, French or all the other languages yet there's separate forums for all of them. We all think we're the majority but that may not be true at all. For all I know the Euro/Tech dance styles may be huge with the European or Japanese crowd but we would never know it because we don't read those forums. Country and gospel styles are pretty big on this forum but somehow I don't think they are in Asia.

There could be lots of things going on we don't know about.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes I agree Bob - and it would be nice to hear something along the lines that a 64bit version is in development or whatever, rather than ambiguous posts asking for suggestions...

If they (PG) are even thinking about it, then tell the user base. What harm is there in that?

Dennis

joden #200417 04/10/13 10:36 AM
Veteran
Veteran
As far as I can recall, PG Music has never announced in advance what would be in the next version. The only exception is an occasional post by Dr. Gannon that some fix or suggestion would be in the next update.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Matt this is not asking about whats IN a release...just what core OS it will be coded in. Two entirely different things imo.

joden #200419 04/10/13 12:13 PM
Veteran
Veteran
There's lots of potential harm in that Dennis. They talk about it then silence then it's never released and everybody yells and screams about it. Especially you.<Grin>

I'm sure there's always exceptions but for the most part software companies NEVER do that until it's really close, then you might, might hear a hint. Nobody knows squat until the beta testers get an email and they are sworn to secerecy. Even then there's no announcements because the testers may discover some unforseen show stopper and that proposed new realease doesn't happen on schedule if ever.

Bob

joden #200420 04/10/13 12:17 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

I think if they were at all interested, as 64bit has been around for years, they would have done so by now - even a beta...

No, I think they are content to run along as they are...using the same coding base which is now costing them nothing but bringing in profits....

With respect Joden, perhaps you are unfamiliar running or owning a business? IMO, this statement is lopsided and unfairly languaged. PG Music is not 'collecting profits' on something that 'costs them nothing'. Everything costs. Day to day operations, shipping, sales, payroll, R&D, fixes, updates, etc. It all costs and BIAB is their primary product. BIAB is a limited production tool despite how many uses people find for it and certainly it has no obligation to keep up with a technology that expands so quickly (few companies can keep up). But keep in mind, this is not generally because of being 'content' or because of a lack of willingness to support its customers. PGM has excellent support.

Some changes, despite how simple they may seem to the end user are not always so simple or cost effective for a company to implement. As an example I have been using UAD cards for years, my most recent purchase was just 5 months ago and still there is no support for 64 bit. This is the highest-end plugin processing company in pro audio production and still they have not managed to make the switch. I suspect, whatever challenges you are having with BIAB, they can remedied in a variety of ways. There is an abundance of experience on this board in terms of BIAB and implementing other software and hardware. Perhaps you can re-phrase your intent or problem and allow the support to help you? It is worth considering.

Cheers~

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Ah yes but you misunderstand the post - I am only referring to the core OS coding which is 32 bit code and was probably coded years ago and the costs of same were probably "written down" some time ago...and yes I am a self employed muso, of COURSE I understand the myriad issues that are involved in a business

And with respect, I may be able to actually teach YOU some things re Audio production and the use of software You never know hey

Please do not assume because the number of posts HERE are low, that you are talking with a novitiate to the world of PC's, audio and midi data operations

I already have several methods of doing all of this....but being essentially lazy, I always strive for the least complicated way of doings out in the real world of performing...not just "doodling" at home where one has time to create all sorts of convoluted and arcane setups..

UAD the highest end processing company???? Where did you dig that from? I would say that is strictly a matter of opinion, doncha' think

joden #200422 04/10/13 04:40 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thank you.

Not sure why post count is of consequence for you Joden, mine is even lower and my post did not reference it nor does it matter to anybody here. And yes, of course all music and sound matters are subjective to opinion. For clarity I said 'plugin' processing company and my point really is a matter of general consensus, not simply personal opinion. UAD processing genuinely is at the top the Pro Audio chain for plugins and was used, in context, as a example. I hope the example was clear as that was the relevant part of the post. That said, I have been in Pro Audio for many years. I don't know of a single major studio in Austin or LA (both cities I have worked) or any current colleague who does not employ UAD processing for plugins to some degree. And still that does not define anything, it is simply a point of interest and reference and still subject to opinion.

Good luck in your endevours.

Cheers.

joden Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Whatever rocks your boat man stick with it

- the reference to the post count was in response to your comment (direct quote).............

There is an abundance of experience on this board in terms of BIAB and implementing other software and hardware. Perhaps you can re-phrase your intent or problem and allow the support to help you? It is worth considering.

I already know how to implement rather a large range of software you jumped to a conclusion (wrong as it turns out) and you are having difficulty in dealing with it...it's all good it don't jar me none......so now we shall move on hey

joden #200424 04/11/13 04:32 PM
R
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
R
Hello,

I do not know if anyone has tried this with PG Music software but it is an application that attempts to bridge 64bit VST plugins to be run in 32bit hosts.

Jbridge Main page
Guide

Thanks,
Rob.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185