Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I would like to see an option to include a 'count-in' when playing from a point somewhere within the song (Play from), the same as the way a count-in is provided when playing from the beginning of the song.

E.g. if practicing a section with a real band (one with humans), you would always perform a count-in to the bar you want the band to start playing from.

I believe that such a feature would be a very useful addition when using Band In A Box to practice specific sections of a song, especially when working with several musicians, or trying different styles, part markers etc. It would be really nice if there was a checkbox in Options that states: Include Count-In when 'Playing From'.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Seems like a reasonable request.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
+1. I remember requesting this several years ago. It would be a great help when practicing sections of a tune with a combo.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
R
+1
I have the same question and found this post. I really hope they will include this simple option in the next version.

Rodin

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
This will be very useful!
Curly

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
I know that the lead in option is only available when playing the song from bar 1. However, suppose I wanted to create a series of 4 bar chord progressions to use as teaching examples. Is it possible to create the effect of an audible lead in anywhere within the song? Basically, I want to instruct BIAB to play 4 beats of stick only in specific measures.

So instead of having 4 bars, I'd have 5 bars. The first one being the work around lead in, with the following 4 the actual chord progression.

For example:

Progression 1: bars 1-5
Progression 2: bars 6-10
Progression 3: bars 11-15

So I would have my work around lead in bars be bars 1, 6 and 11. In those bars, I'd only want the drum stick to play for 4 beats. Can BIAB accomplish this? If so, how? Thanks!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Hmmm. You may be able to use F5 to mute all instruments except for drums on bars 1, 6, 11, and choose a drum pattern for only those bars that simulates a count-in.

You could also do it with MIDI on the melody track, playing a 4 beat side-stick on those bars only, and muting everything else.

Probably a few other ways also.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Thank you for the reply, however, treat me like a beginner. Can these topics be found in the manual, if so, under what?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1 for the original suggestion, as an option of course. Could be very helpful.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
In skimming the manual, it appears I can change the style at any particular bar in the bar settings dialog. With that in mind, would it be possible to create a dedicated style that emulates the lead in side stick (just 1-2-3-4) and apply it only to the bars that I need? Would something like that work? And if so, can you direct me to some resource on how to create such a style?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1 for the count-in command idea as originally requested by VideoTrack

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: mc3997
Thank you for the reply, however, treat me like a beginner. Can these topics be found in the manual, if so, under what?

OK, I'll try here with one method that might work. In this case I'll choose just bar 6 for a location to put your count-in:

A: Layout your song as normal, however many bars you need.
B: Open the Notation Window and select the Melody Track - 6th from left(1), Edit(2), and drop 4 notes on the stave(3)
C: In the mixer select MIDI Instrument Patch > Select General MIDI patch > a MIDI bank such as Agogo-114 or Wood Block-116 (4)
D: On the Chord sheet, click on bar 6, and press F5 (or right-click and select Chord Settings)
E: Mute all tracks except for the track with the Agogo (or Woodblock) on it (5)
F: Click on Bar 7, press F5 and return all tracks to normal (6)

If you have multiple choruses, you may have to repeat the MIDI trick on other bars as I don't know if those notes play during the chorus repeats.

If you get brave, you could reserve 2 bars for the count-in and use a 1 - 2 - , 1-2-3-4 technique.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-04-07_11-49-26.jpg (104.22 KB, 81 downloads)
2017-04-07_11-52-33.jpg (72.75 KB, 80 downloads)
2017-04-07_11-54-54.jpg (115.59 KB, 80 downloads)
2017-04-07_11-57-52.jpg (67.66 KB, 80 downloads)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
BUMP for this excellent idea wink

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
VideoTrack,
I just saw your reply with the step by step instructions. Going to give them a try now. Yesterday after I got off of here, I tried doing what I thought would work but I must be doing something wrong. I created a style called count-in.sty that plays four quarter notes on the side stick (attached, but take off the .jpg extension) and I Went to the bar settings and did a style change. The style does indeed change, but no side stick plays... I'm going to give your method a shot.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
count-in.STY.jpg (185 Bytes, 66 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
mc3997,
Thanks for the response. I'm sure that there may be other ways, but that was perhaps the easiest to articulate.

Let us know if this works for you (at least sort of, anyway)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
It's working! The notation editing was quite a pain! I don't know how the manual claims it dramatically speeds up the entry of notation. But once I was able to get 4 quarter notes in properly, it worked laugh That feature, along with being able to display 5 bars on a line will make this much easier now. Thanks again!!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
The only thing, and it's just a minor annoyance, is when I double click to play from say bar 6, sometimes, BIAB will play the piano for just a split second as it starts to play the wood block. It's almost like it was left in memory from the previous play. I say this because if I play the wood block bar, and then stop it and then play again, the piano isn't heard. Any idea what causes that, and if it can be fixed? If not it's ok, it's minor.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Try doing a complete song generate, rather than just play from, and see if that assists. If it does, maybe then freeze the tracks.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
That seemed to help a little bit actually. I want to freeze the tracks for faster playback, because the examples are going to be used while filming a video. What I have is perfectly workable though. Many thanks.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: mc3997
The only thing, and it's just a minor annoyance, is when I double click to play from say bar 6, sometimes, BIAB will play the piano for just a split second as it starts to play the wood block. It's almost like it was left in memory from the previous play. I say this because if I play the wood block bar, and then stop it and then play again, the piano isn't heard. Any idea what causes that, and if it can be fixed? If not it's ok, it's minor.

Still can't figure out how to fully get rid of that slop that plays at the beginning of my stick count bar. Is this just a software bug? Regenerating the song doesn't quite fix it. Any ideas?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,451
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195