Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
P
profbob Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I use BIAB 2012 for Windows.

I Audio Record playing a banjo tune with a Style and everything works except the banjo sounds very tinny.
I am using a Sony dynamics microphone (cheap one).
Is it the microphone causing this?

If I use the mic in Audacity to record, it sounds good, though.

(By the way, if I export from Audacity as a wav file into biab, the song is out of synch with the biab style playing in background - but this might be a topic for another thread).

Last edited by profbob; 05/04/13 07:52 AM.
Expert
Expert
I'll chime in...

If I understand you correctly and it's actually you playing the banjo.

IMO....a 'cheap' Sony dynamic mic would achieve less than adequate results.
If that's all you are going to be working with then mic placement is even more critical.
You'll have to be very close to the mic and then be aware of 'proximity effect' issues. (low frequency predominance).
So, your playing technique will also be part of the equation.

EQ'ing may help a bit.
Meaning, reduce the offending high frequencies and if you got lucky there are some mid frequencies on the original track to smooth out the take.
Others may have their take on it but I'd say get a MOR condenser mic to add to your recording arsenal.
They've become quite affordable over the years.

Something else to keep in mind that what may sound 'tinny' to your ears when soloing this track may sound very close or even acceptable in a final mix with other instruments playing.

If you are insistent on keeping the track and using that mic significant experimentation will be necessary.

Hope that helps...carry on.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 05/04/13 09:52 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Good advice above.

I'm just wondering - are you recording to the audio track in BIAB?

If so you will enjoy better results by opening your BIAB file in Realband and then recording your banjo track(s) there.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

I've just read through your post and a couple of thoughts sprang to mind. They were ...

ONE
Chulaivet1966 and Sundance offer some excellent advice that would resolve the issue and is worth considering.

TWO
My take on the issue is that if the banjo records ok in Audacity and not ok in BIAB, then it's not really a mic problem because the audio would be tinny wherever it's recorded since both BIAB and Audacity use the same soundcard process to record.

This got me wondering about mono and stereo. A microphone is mono and if Audacity is recording in mono, it will be heard on both speakers when played back. If, however, BIAB is recording in stereo (BIAB's default) then only one speaker will be heard with the banjo on playback. This could sound "tinny".

To check my theory, try setting BIAB to record in mono and have a listen. To do this, refer to the image below and the instructions that follow it.

• Click on Audio (#1) then select Record Audio (#2).
  • Now select Audio Options (#3) from the window that pops up.
  • From the next window that pops up, set the Audio track type for THIS song to MONO (#4)

Now record and have a listen to the playback.

Regards,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 05/05/13 01:51 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

In relation to the audio recorded in Audacity that becomes out of synch when imported into BIAB, it's possible to correct by time-shifting the audio track as follows.

• Import the audio.
  • Select Audio (#1) and then select Edit Audio.
  • Now select Timeshift Audio (ms). (Note: 1,000 ms = 1 second.)
  • Trial and error is required to get it right. Simply try different values. Negative values will cause the audio to come in earlier and positive values will cause it to come in later. I'd start with 500 ms (half a second) and see how that sounds.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Bob, Welcome! Lots of good advice so far! Another thing to be considered, is the banjo itself......5 string? ....Plectrum?
As already mentioned, I use a moderately priced condenser mic....SAMSON CO1. I sometimes use 2 of them, depending on how I want the banjo to sound. Experiment with placings. Regards, Joe G.

Veteran
Veteran
Howdy, I've recorded a LOT of banjo over the last 35 years and have always found it challenging. Typically I was trying to give the banjo picker the sound that he or she desired. And often they referred to it as a "fat" sound. A 1930's Gibson will give this sound pretty readily but with a lot of banjos it requires more work.

For the last 15 years or so I've used a Rode NT1, AT-4033 or and MXL when recording banjos although it's been a few years since I last worked with one. From my experience a decent quality large diaphragm condenser mic (like those mentioned) is the best. I place the mic about 8-12 inches away favoring the bottom third of the "head." I would mix with a very small amount of reverb and perhaps slight EQ boost around 1K. Also I would avoid having the banjo face a window or other "bright" surface. Of course, now days, for me it's all banjo RealTracks!

Bud

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 05/05/13 12:10 PM.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Howdy, I've recorded a LOT of banjo over the last 35 years and have always found it challenging.

In the band I was in during mid 70's we had a good banjo player for a couple of old select tunes but I've never recorded banjo.

Just out of curiosity what have you found to be the offending/challenging frequencies?
In my recording banjo ignorance I'd guess anywhere from 3K-8K or so but I'll let you correct me on that.

It also seems to me one would have to capture those mid frequencies (mic placement critical) well or carving away the offending highs would be of little help to arrive at a smooth, full sounding banjo track.

Carry on....

P
profbob Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks for all the advice. I use a 5 string and play clawhammer style.
I am able to export from Audacity to BIAB and with some equalizer adjusting things are sounding better (got help watching youtube video).

Sundance: I don't know how to mess with Real Band (?).
I see references to Real this and that but just ignore.

Noel96: will try your suggestion about the synch problem.

Last edited by profbob; 05/05/13 03:27 PM.
Expert
Expert
I've been recording banjo for years and it is one of the more difficult instruments to capture a great sound from. But here is my advice:

1. Use a large diaphragm condenser microphone.
2. Never close mic the banjo. The sound right up on the head is going to sound tinny. Get back 3 or 4 feet from the microphone.
3. I like to get the microphone up a little above the height of the top edge of the head pointing down. Don't aim for the middle of the head.
4. If you are still getting a tinny sound try moving back even farther from the mic. I've had to sometimes back up to 6 or 7 feet depending on the room to get the banjo to sound right.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Howdy, I've recorded a LOT of banjo over the last 35 years and have always found it challenging.

In the band I was in during mid 70's we had a good banjo player for a couple of old select tunes but I've never recorded banjo.

Just out of curiosity what have you found to be the offending/challenging frequencies?
In my recording banjo ignorance I'd guess anywhere from 3K-8K or so but I'll let you correct me on that.

It also seems to me one would have to capture those mid frequencies (mic placement critical) well or carving away the offending highs would be of little help to arrive at a smooth, full sounding banjo track.

Carry on....

It depends so much on the banjo that it's hard to answer. Some pickers want the bright sound and others want the tubby sound. I just learned what they wanted and try to EQ to their wishes. There was no substitute for a great instrument and a picker with good tone and chops. Just can't make the old silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199