Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
OP Offline
I rebuilt my utility system to zippy 8-core AMD, 8 gigs RAM, SSD, and realtek audio built-in to motherboard. I reinstalled BIAB and put back all my BIAB song files from a thumb drive.

I went to change the mix/balance of a playback on a song, and went to re-render it, so that I could get a new MP3 file to put into my ipod world.

I clicked on the WAV button and on the menu clicked on save in other audio format and MP3 (which I recall automatically generates the interim WAV file.

It renders a 33MB WAV file, and prompts for the MP3 in a pop-up window. However after clicking on "save as raw mp3" or whatever in yet another pop-up window, I get an error that reads:

Driver cannot do the requested conversion

and I get an mp3 file in the target directory that is zero bytes.

I thought BIAB had some built-in rendering. I installed ASIO4ALL, but I have it disabled since I'm just playing back on my computer speakers without any MIDI instruments since I use all RealTracks and REalDrums. My sound card drivers are pretty up to date.

What could be my problem?

Jim

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi Jim,

Sounds like your machine does not have an mp3 codec installed.

The free LAME encoder works very well here, a Bing should bring it up, I got mine from the Audacity.exe home site.

--Mac

OP Offline
Thanks Mac, but I installed LAME and it still didn't work. I still get the same error. Is there something I need to do to tell the OS where it is or something? I ran the LAME installer....

As a work-around, I just have itunes open the big WAV file, which converts it into what my ipod needs anyway. It would have been nice to have a universal mp3 tho...

Last edited by saxguy007; 05/17/13 06:42 PM.
R
Expert
Expert
R
This has always been a problem in Windows. This is probably due to Microsoft's desire to move the world towards using WMA. Your solution is what most people end up doing. Take the WAV file and use the converter of your choice. Personally, I use open source Foobar which gives me flexibility to use any number of codecs and options.

If you are willing, using the WMA format works very well within BIAB. As far as MP3, I've never had any luck converting to a high bit rate from within BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
Did you install the LAME stand-alone or the LAME ACM file. BIAB does not use an external CODEC like other programs use, so it has to be installed into Windows. You might want to try the LAME ACM CODEC and see if that works for you.

Also, you might try the K-Lite Codec Pack and see if that works for you.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Hi saxguy,

What version of BIAB do you have? When I was running BIAB 2012/2012.5 I couldn't get mp3 rendering to work either. Then, after installing 2013, the process worked fine. I'm not quite sure what happened.

In the older days of BIAB, LAME.dll was needed for rendering. These days, though, I think PG Music's software calls on Microsoft processes. The below quote is taken from a PG Music tutorial on rending found at

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_bbwrender.htm

Originally Posted By: "PG Music"
Note 2: If you get a "Driver cannot do requested conversion" error when trying to encode an MP3 file, this suggests that your computer does not have an ACM (Audio Compression Manager) compatible MP3 codec installed. Band-in-a-Box uses the Windows Audio Compression Manager functions to compress files. The types of files and bitrates that Band-in-a-Box can encode depends on the codecs you have installed on your computer. On Windows XP, you can check to see if you have an MP3 codec by going to Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices | Hardware | Audio Codecs (Properties) | Properties. On Windows Vista/7, try going to Help | About | Technical Support Information in Windows Media Player. Look to see if there is an "MPEG Layer-3" codec listed there. Also (on Windows XP), select it, click on Properties, and check to see that it isn't a "decode-only" codec. If you don't see an MP3 codec there, or if it is a decode-only codec, PowerTracks won't be able to encode MP3s.

To solve the problem: Due to licensing restrictions and patents on MP3 technology, we can't include MP3 codecs with our software. There are a couple possible solutions - (1) The latest version of Windows Media Player includes an ACM-compatible MP3 codec, l3codecp.acm, which you should find in your Windows\System32 directory, and it can encode MP3's at high bitrates. This codec may or may not be enabled on your computer though. Or, (2) Search online for an MP3 codec that you can download and install. Or, (3) Save your file as a stereo wave file and do the conversion from wave to MP3 in a third party program.

If you follow the above link, the information on this is near the bottom of the webpage.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 05/18/13 02:26 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
OP Offline
Wow, thanks for the replies all! I use 2012.5

I guess it really wouldn't kill me to just use a stand-alone conversion software and a few extra clicks. I guess I just got spoiled when my original system (running Windows XP) was able to get it to work WITHIN BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
Saxguy,

My preferred audio convertor is a freeware program called Free Audio Convertor (freeAc) found at the below link. I like using variable bitrate.

http://www.freac.org/

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rachael
This has always been a problem in Windows. This is probably due to Microsoft's desire to move the world towards using WMA. Your solution is what most people end up doing. Take the WAV file and use the converter of your choice. Personally, I use open source Foobar which gives me flexibility to use any number of codecs and options.

If you are willing, using the WMA format works very well within BIAB. As far as MP3, I've never had any luck converting to a high bit rate from within BIAB.

What Rachel sez. I use DBPoweramp Converter. I bought it and their dvd/cd ripper software. I do my conversions at a higher quality rate with it and have been happy with the results. I just plan on doing it this way for my BIAB songs unless I take them into Sonar for further editing.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I mostly use the free Audacity.exe
audio editor for mp3 conversion from the .wav file, the program also is good for a bit of editing before conversion, shaving off heads and tails, even gainchange, etc.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,529
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200