Print Thread
Go To
#203817 05/21/13 12:57 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
tonnie Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman

In two recent issues of Down Beat (December 2011 & June 2013). There are articles on “poly chords”.

Two chords stacked one upon the other, e.g. Cmaj7 plus Dmaj7.
This can be written as Cmaj7/Dmaj7, however not in BB as the slash is used to indicate a desired bass note (e.g. Am7/G).

Of course if one spells out the notes of Cmaj7/ Dmaj7: C, E, G, B, D, F#, A and C# one could use the tertian terms (for the Dmaj7 chord tones): 9, #11, 13, #15. This has however some unlucky consequences in BB, as #11 will alter the G in the C-chord and #15 is not recognized.

Has anyone a suggestion that will work around these two problems?
Please let me hear from you.

Tonnie

tonnie #203822 05/21/13 01:48 AM
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Hi Tonnie. Interesting question. I've had the same issue making backing tracks for Kurt Rosenwinkel numbers and other modern stuff.

I'm not sure a programme like BIAB, amazing as it is, will ever be able to cope with really wierd note-stacks.

For example, just putting a C triad over a Db triad (a fairly common modern jazz harmony) gives you:

Dbmaj7(#9 b5) (Notes: Db F Ab C E G)

I only have experience with BIAB RT's, but my approach is:
a) listen to what I'm trying to emulate
b) listen to what BIAB does with different options, especially given the chord that comes next.

In the above example, I might end up writing C/Db, or Dbalt, or Db7#9.

Have you found other workarounds? Best - Andy

tonnie #203838 05/21/13 05:07 AM
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Sorry Tonnie - I meant to comment on your Cmaj7/Dmaj7 example.

The central problem, I think, is that you have a 7th and a major 7th in there (C & C#). No standard chord system I've come across (including BIAB) will find that easy! (btw, there's no #11 Ab, I think).

I'd experiment with things like: Cmaj7/D; D13, D69 and see what fits best....

After all, no comp-er includes every note in the harmony! Best again - Andy

tonnie #203848 05/21/13 06:09 AM
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I will admit upfront that I know very little on this subject. However, would it not be possible to put RealBand into the process?

Could you not put the first set of chords (say with the Cmaj7 et al) into BIAB then export all the tracks to RB?

Next, do the same song with the alternate chords (say with the Dmaj7 et al) in BIAB and export only those tracks that would be affected by these new chords? You could omit the drums and perhaps the bass.

Would they not all play the way you wanted them to in RB?

Good luck!
LLOYD S

tonnie #203849 05/21/13 06:23 AM
Veteran
Veteran
For a work around in BIAB, do one chord, freeze the track, then change to the other chord. All the chord tones will be heard.

The problem is that many of the resulting notes will be in the wrong register.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
tonnie #203853 05/21/13 06:47 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
i believe they're used for keeping your parrot on his perch

Andrew Lloyd
tonnie #203858 05/21/13 07:27 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: tonnie

This can be written as Cmaj7/Dmaj7, however not in BB as the slash is used to indicate a desired bass note (e.g. Am7/G).

Hi Tonnie,

I'm a proponent of using the "pipe" to indeicate the Polychord in fake notation, rather than the slash.

That way, the slash is always indicative of the ostinuto or pedal bass note, the pipe indicates the Poly chord.

Cmaj7|Dmaj7

Fake notation is a living language, it is not uncommon to find printed amterials where the slash is used instead of the pipe.

At this moment in time, BiaB does not recognize the Polychord.

I have, however, come up with workarounds that can sound okay if not look good in the notation. Depending upon the tune at hand, one might try entering Gmaj9/C for the above Polychord, for instance. That would yield the C as bass note, plus the G, B, D, F# and A. But there are quite a few workarounds for these, actually, that won't play every note in the given stack, but can be used to play the "important" notes in most cases. The pieces where the really dense sound of every note in the Polychord, though, I've found difficult to reproduce by just entering chords in BiaB. For those I've had to resort to playing in the part via my MIDI keyboard on the Thru track and leaving it saved as a static part on the Melody or Soloist track. Then, adding BB autoaccompaniment, Bass, Drums, sometimes guitar, as appropriate, can yield the target song in sound if not in chord sheet.

But I do encourage you to make a post on the Band in a Box Wishlist Forum so that development can assess the amount of interest in such, it might just end up as a New Feature some day.

--Mac

tonnie #203868 05/21/13 08:01 AM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Tonnie, Another work around is to use Matt’s freezing suggestion then bring the tracks in your DAW to arrange the notes in the order that you wish. This of course will only work with midi.

Good luck,

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
tonnie #203928 05/21/13 03:34 PM
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Agree with Mac 100%.

I so wish the pipe could become the universal standard.

For Cmaj7/Dmaj7, it's clear.

But often I've assumed Cmaj7/D meant D note in the bass... and only later realised they meant Cmaj7|D (ie D triad).

Best - Andy

Andy123 #203948 05/21/13 05:46 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
For it to be a true polychord the register has to be separate otherwise it becomes an added note voicing.
Obviously you can move the chord track to a melody and soloist channel and then transpose one of them by the requisite amount of semitones.

The other way which is one I do quite a lot isn't so much a polychord as an added note voicing which will give you the dissonance level but without the separation of register. (It's a moot point as to whether you hear a polychord as two distinct chords anyway or one large chord tied to the root)

to achieve it find the nearest voicing to the combined chord using an inversion over a bass note. Move it to a spare melody channel then use the 'low root' voicing in the melody harmony feature moved up an octave or to to add any missing note from the voicing. The problem with this is that you'll have to enter the note as a single note chord in a new chord sheet to get the melody harmony to add it, meaning a lot of cutting and pasting two sets of changes.

A third way is to find a really sparse left hand chord style that outputs only 3 or four notes max. Enter the first of your two chords and use the same method as above but this time use a 3 note melody harmony to get the other chord.

HTH

Alan

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,734
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195