Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The recent advent of Music Player/Cell Phones has surely left millions of iPods abandoned, tucked away in a forgotten dresser drawer, or otherwise just sitting idle.

I would like to put those idle iPods to good use by giving Alzheimer, Dementia, and end-stage patients the joys of music, especially from their youth, via customized playlists. If you were to contact school administrators, local businesses, churches, fire and police departments, etc. we could bring the power of music back to our elderly parents.

All who want to organize an "iPod Collection Drive" can email or PM me for further information. Meanwhile, please visit these sites to get your adrenaline and "happy tears" flowing:

www.musicandmemory.org

http://youtu.be/fyZQf0p73QM

http://youtu.be/Sd5S_hADV30

Interestingly, music also helps patients suffering from severe and chronic pain including cancer.

An iPod costs far less than one day's worth of mind altering drugs and medications without complicated side affects.

Please help me to bring a smile to these folks that are trapped within their own bodies.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Experience 12 Minutes With Alzheimer's Disease

http://youtu.be/LL_Gq7Shc-Y

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 05/31/13 11:48 AM.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Don,

I put www.musicandmemory.org forth as a suggested charity for any extra funds collected for the 2013 February Album Writing Month event that happened this year. I do not know the status as to whether there were extra funds collected or not. The organizer of the FAWM.org organization thought it looked like a worthy charity. I will check in and report back here to see what happened this year.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scott, you've got me crying 'happy tears'. Thank you, my friend.

If you haven't read it, I'm attaching the Music & Memory overview in .pdf format. It's basically on finding funding but it gives a pretty good description of the project.

Everyone I've introduced to the program raves on it's humanitarian value then promptly rejoins other commitments. I need help in maintaining forward momentum. I spoke with the manager at my bank and she thought it would be an excellent humanitarian project for her entire staff but, with my limitations, I have been unable to keep it moving forward.

It's not even a matter of money. I have a wealthy lady, who's sister is in my nursing home and would benefit from the project, who will contribute the initial $2K for 20 iPods and iTunes subscriptions but I can't get the Administrator to go along. He seems to see it as a potential liability. I have overcome each of his concerns and objections. Inertia and reluctance to change are my final hurdles.

Strangely, one of our 24 homes has taken the project as a test. I think I instigated that but I'm out of that loop. Apparently, it's a smashing success.

I corresponded with the HS Principal and she agreed to provide student volunteers to work with patients who are totally foreign to technology. That is an advantage to the iPod "Shuffle", only one button. Plus the students seeking a medical career would receive valuable hands-on experience. Everybody wins!

I have agreed to buy medical scrub uniforms for the volunteers and the kitchen will gladly feed them. I am confident that the volunteers will fall madly in love with the residents and vice versa. What have I missed?

Please download the .pdf file here. It's about nine pages:

https://www.box.com/s/18hhdypsc1ny7zrw8xve

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 05/31/13 08:03 PM. Reason: Added download link
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Don your post reminded me to check in over at FAWM.org headquarters. Bingo. 8 iPod shuffles donated as a result of FAWM collections. http://fawm.org/forums/topic/754/#c16891

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
actually 16 iPod Shuffles! FAWM rocks!!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
actually 16 iPod Shuffles! FAWM rocks!!!

There is a Country song, I've forgotten the artist, entitled: "See The Big Man Cry, Momma?" Well, that describes me at this moment.

John 3x and Scott, you are princes among men.

The end result is the same but I wish the iPods were coming directly to this facility for obvious reasons. Getting them into the "system" is still a monumental accomplishment for which I will be eternally grateful. You guys rock!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Upon reading my plight, my niece, Wendy, in Seattle promptly recovered her and hubby's idle iPods and rushed them off to me.

Most folks would rather donate them to Alzheimer/Dementia patients than to see them sitting idle. They merely need to be made aware and given an address to send them to.

Please, friends, help me make this dream a reality.

I wonder what a boost this project would get if Dr. Gannon and crew were to get behind it. Those wonderful people do the impossible routinely every day.

For the record, my address is:

Don Gaynor, Sr.
c/o Rebold Manor Nursing Home
1701 East 6th Street
Okmulgee, Oklahoma 74447

Let's show 'em what a badly bent Irishman can accomplish from a hospital bed and power wheelchair.

Addendum: I wish to publicly acknowledge the thoughtfulness of our own forum mates Shaststan and his sweet wife. They have already sent one iPod and preparing to send the second one. Thanks, Stan!

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 06/02/13 08:26 AM. Reason: Added thought
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My "beg letter" is going viral. I emailed it to my two nieces and about 50 friends and they did the same. I don't feel alone in this project any longer.

Thanks again to all.

I seriously hope that my mail carrier develops a inguinal hernia trying to lug these things in. I keep him supplied with cappuccino mix, he shouldn't complain.

Count so far: 8 (I can't count the 16 that I'll never see).

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Don,

I only know you from this forum but must say I sure do like you! Your level of caring for others is truly heart-warming!

I am gonna spread the word to my small circle and share your address along with the link to www.musicandmemory.org.

I was wondering if there are any certain items you want/don't want? iPods and iPod shuffles have been mentioned but what about other types of mp3 players? also, do they need to have headphones? if they do, do you want those as well? what about cables and chargers?

As I said I'll get the word out to some friends and ask them to do the same. Please keep us posted here on any progress.

You're a good man Don Gaynor!

John

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 06/03/13 12:16 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
John, in fact, we will need many sets of over-the-head headphones similar to the RCA HP335N here:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Audiovox-Basic-Overhead-Headphone/12535034?_mm=

They need not be high sound quality because they become contaminated and must be destroyed. Headphones are not sanitary items.

Any mp3 player is more than welcome. However,the iPod "Shuffle" is specified because it only has one button. Something that the patients can understand and, in many cases, control without staff intervention. We want them to not add to staff workload or the project will be rejected out of hand by management.

Student volunteers must be trained and willing to assume all involvement with the patients. Professional medical staff is already overworked but studies indicate that when patients are contented they become quieter, less demanding of staff attention. How do I convince a cautious, reluctant Administrator of that fact?

John, thank you so much for joining me in this effort.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
John, my niece said that she couldn't find one of the iPod-to-computer USB transfer cables. I may be able to scrounge one.

I was absent yesterday because, thinking she was being cute, the Activities Director sneaked up behind me and startled me. Wham! More mouse guts. Just glad it wasn't Matt's loaner that I threw.

It wasn't thrown in anger but a reflex action. Same as when I sneeze! Mouse guts!

Still looking for the correct pointing device. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 06/04/13 11:57 AM.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Don, your story reminds me of the last film camera we had. I had already bought a digital but since we still had the old camera I wanted to try to fix it. Seemed like something simple so I removed the case and then must have accidentally touched a charged capacitor because I literally slung it against the floor without meaning to. My wife was torn between cracking up at what just happened and being mad because I had assured that there would be no fixing it now.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've never bean (Canadian/British) known to be jumpy but I must sit with my back to the door while pealing paint and wallpaper off the walls with my Pandora music (by request from the therapists 2 doors down. If I stop playing, they are here in a flash to check on me) and BIAB compositions so it's easy to startle me unintentionally. Sneezing, same result...mouse guts. I sent it (the mouse) back to WalMart with the complaint: "This inferior product (mouse) just doesn't bounce as anticipated!" Now, if only I could build a fire under Tiffany to bring it back for exchange. Still using USB mouse from nurse's station until the get another admission. lol

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191