Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#206143 - 06/13/13 08:58 AM [Off-Topic] discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit?
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
This thread is a spinoff from another one in which Aleck said:
Quote:
The issue of whether music is an intellectual or emotional or aesthetic experience could form a blockbuster discussion all by itself. But I wouldn't take part, for reasons that follow.

It is moot from my point of view, because everything personal - and I mean every single thing - your thoughts, dreams, regrets, hopes, guitar licks, tickles, itches, pains, plans, etc. - issues from the squishy gray lump sitting inside your skull. Music is brain output of a certain type. Poetry, philosophy, mathematics are brain output. Charles Darwin said that the brain "secretes [these things] like the liver secretes bile."

Both Albert Einstein and Wes Montgomery are called geniuses. Einstein lived in an obscure world of mental objects; Wes was no man of intellect, but he also lived in a world of mental objects - his melodic ideas, which, like a virus, went on to infect thousands of future musicians. I'm one of them.

Now, no one shouts out "yeah!" during a Physics lecture, but they do at a Jazz club. Are the people at the Jazz club agreeing with something when they shout, "yeah!"? Or is it just another word for "good!", in which case, what is it that was good at that particular moment?

I'm not much interested in the question whether music is an intellectual or emotional or aesthetic experience because, to me, all are brain output with complicated cross-talk between the three experiences. Songs make people cry. The equations of modern physics do not. Why? Beats me.

what's YOUR point of view?

#206145 - 06/13/13 09:09 AM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

I agree that EVERYTHING we do originates in the brain... but the it is also true that the brain addresses the same topic differently if it sees it as a logical question or an emotional one.

Studies show more left brain activity when solving analytical problems, and more right brain activity when involved in playful or emotional activities.

Creative decisions based primarily on a formula (such as musical scales) would probably stir the left brain... whereas creative decisons made "because it feels right whether it fits the formula or not" would probably be driven by the right hemisphere.

Whether this is a moot point or not becomes most important in the teacher-student relationship because research has also shown that people learn more easily from teachers whose teaching style matches the student's learning style

#206147 - 06/13/13 09:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
It is a mix/balance of all three - proportions dependent on what you are listening to and why. It's music.

#206149 - 06/13/13 10:32 AM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Yes, by definition it becomes a mix of all.

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#206153 - 06/13/13 10:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

OK, Obviously a complex process consists of a mixture of stimuli. But there is a hierarchy, and depending on which is being prioritized the results will be different.

For example, a college kid furnishing his dorm room might rationally prioritize cost above all else, and end up with books stacked in shipping crates he got for free.

Later in life when cash isn't his biggest constraint, he might furnish his home with a variety of completely different goals:
1) to please his wife
2) to impress his colleagues
3) to please his senses

the point I'm making is that the exact same task gets handled differently when we approach it as a primarily analytical process as opposed to a primarily emotive process

I'll go so far as to say that Hendrix was probably NOT writings songs with music theory as his primary consideration

#206155 - 06/13/13 12:30 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

50/50. You need the intellect to be able to cohesively and cogently present something that elicits emotion. If your music is not both intellectual and visceral, you have fallen short. People listening to your writings need to be given both something to think about and something to feel. When you touch both of those senses, your song is a success. Whether it is 6 minutes long or 3:34. wink

#206158 - 06/13/13 12:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

But if you can do it in 3 minutes instead of 6 minutes you are twice as successful! (ha, ha)

Intellectual or Emotional?? When it comes to art, then it is two sides of the same coin.

#206163 - 06/13/13 01:39 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Intellectual or emotional?

It think can probably be both, either together or in isolation, but for me it has to be emotional above all.

I won't listen to anything which is purely intellectual but devoid of soul, but on the other hand, I'm quite happy with something which moves me emotionally without necessarily being technically clever.

If I was a philosopher, I could think that anything which has the power to move me must, therefore, be clever in some sense, but this starts to make my head spin.

ROG.

#206166 - 06/13/13 01:54 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Rog
So far your reply is closest to what I'm looking for

Obviously music enters both realms, but I'm curious to hear how that works Itself out for each of us

#206169 - 06/13/13 02:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: ROG]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: ROG

It think can probably be both, either together or in isolation, but for me it has to be emotional above all.

I won't listen to anything which is purely intellectual but devoid of soul, but on the other hand, I'm quite happy with something which moves me emotionally without necessarily being technically clever.

If I was a philosopher, I could think that anything which has the power to move me must, therefore, be clever in some sense, but this starts to make my head spin.

ROG.

I agree!

This reminded me of another thread that was about playing fast, running scales etc but with no melody; I can’t remember what thread it was. I personally don’t like music that is nothing but fast rifts and/or shredding instruments (guitar, sax, mandolin etc) with no melody, regardless of the genre. This does not move me however it may move someone else.

I prefer a good melody. A musician who can combine a good melody with some technically challenging parts can really move me. Musicians like Miles and Coltrane come to mind. But some may find this boring.

Thus the only correct answer to the question is the one you come up with.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#206186 - 06/13/13 04:10 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
I just try to keep them under 3 minutes. I leave the musical philosophy to the experts. grin

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#206187 - 06/13/13 04:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: ROG]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA

ROG.

ROG saved me some typing since he hit the nail on the head.

It's got to have soul. I can't define that, ...but I know it when I hear it.

#206205 - 06/13/13 06:24 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
Music is all about emotions. In the creative process, emotions play the major part. Intellect comes in to make it all come together in a cohesive way to come up with a finished product.

My take, anyway.

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#206210 - 06/13/13 06:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
Jim Fogle Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
I think emotions rule the music world. Pride hearing your child's first recital, ear candy technical wizardry giving you pleasure, amazement at the clever turn of lyrics. It's all about emotions. Nothing can change your mood as fast as three minutes it takes to play a song.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#206219 - 06/13/13 09:57 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

My POV is this.

Intellect is learning how to make music so you can share your emotions with others who will relate to the feeling in your music. That's why it's known as the universal language.
My Videos

#206220 - 06/13/13 10:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Kemmrich]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
But if you can do it in 3 minutes instead of 6 minutes you are twice as successful!

Well, my success level at this point is ZERO.....

I may not be twice as successful, but it I cut them in half I would have twice as many songs!!

#206248 - 06/14/13 07:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Just one example of something which is a simple chord sequence, minimal instrumentation and yet, to me at least, strangely moving. If you've seen it before, it's possibly worth another go - if not I hope you enjoy it.

If you're put off by Bruce Springsteen, try to watch until the other singers take over.

Bob CF - I hope there's a bit of soul in this one for you my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1wg9jyvfN0

ROG.

#206268 - 06/14/13 10:57 AM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: ROG]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Just one example of something which is a simple chord sequence, minimal instrumentation and yet, to me at least, strangely moving. If you've seen it before, it's possibly worth another go - if not I hope you enjoy it.

If you're put off by Bruce Springsteen, try to watch until the other singers take over.

ROG.

good example Rog. I really liked that

#206386 - 06/15/13 12:32 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: ROG]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana

ROG.

Sorry ROG . . . I could not get past Bruce. I'll try again later, maybe fast forward.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#206397 - 06/15/13 01:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: discussion: from YOUR point of view, is music an intellectual or emotional pursuit? [Re: Pat Marr]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Pat,

As usual, your ideas are fascinating.

Something I left out about the "gray lump of matter" is this: It has the power of understanding, not to say that other clever species are devoid of it, but our power is finite, just like theirs. There are things that I believe human minds will never understand. One of these is precisely how music can make people react emotionally. Songs - blasts of air - can make people cry.

The responses show that members recognize a mixture of intellect, emotion and aesthetics in music - with complex interactions between the three. What these interactions are and how they work, is what I'm saying is forever beyond human understanding. The mind lacks the horsepower to understand itself, to say nothing of the more fundamental question of how the soggy gray stuff conjures up the 3-D, technicolor "theatre of the real" that each of us lives in as conscious beings.

To conclude - and I ask readers who have not have this experience to take it on trust - I've heard musical passages (no lyrics) that made my knees buckle, made my heart ache, brought tears to my eyes. Or I might just shake my head, feeling a perfection that cannot be described in words.

Like poetry, music is supposed to express things that cannot be said with mere words. Do you think that one day how these processes work will be thoroughly understood at the neurophysiological level? Here's a simpler problem: Describe precisely - neurophysiologically - what happens just before a guitar lick in your head travels down two arms into the fingers onto the instrument and then out into the world.

Here's when I think any of these will receive answers: Not ever.

Aleck
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Forum Stats
28066 Members
57 Forums
54389 Topics
449525 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Andreu Casado, Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC, Mallie Riecken

28066 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 150