Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good question, Alan. You've managed to peg my ...
I DON'T KNOW-O-METER
0_____________/_100

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alan,

A good example of what you're talking about is Eva Cassidy's version of "Over The Rainbow" (found at the below link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RDmXsGeiF8

I reckon that if Eva's version was played as an instrumental, no-one would know what the original song was. There are little snippets of phrases that hint at the original melody but, for the most part, the melody is essentially a whole new song. I suspect that upon hearing it, people would feel a sense of familiarity but not necessarily know why.

Since chord progressions are generally not copyrightable, if Eva sang different words, I bet that this would standalone as a whole new song.

For what it's worth: Using a chord progression from a song and writing a new melody over the top of it is recommended by just about every songwriting book I've read as a great way to start learning how to song-write.

Regards,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 05/25/13 06:28 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Alan,

Much of this debate reminds me of a story they tell about the sculptor Rodin. Someone asked Rodin, "How do you sculpt an elephant?" Rodin replied, "Well, you start with a big block of stone and chop away anything that doesn't look like an elephant." Incidentally, what Rap "music" does is start with the elephant and slap sufficient concrete onto it until you get back the block of stone.

This is an old philosophical chestnut. Since things are defined by their features, how many features must be altered or removed before the thing in question fails to qualify as its former self. Take, on the one hand, some cattle and, on the other, some steaks. Obviously a cow is not a steak and vice versa. At what point in the butchering process can you point and say, "There! Stop there - now its not a cow." A less frivolous example concerns how modern homo sapiens stands in relation to its anthropoid ancestors. Was there a "first" homo sapiens? In a continuum of small adaptions it's hard to know.

For the very same reason, all other considerations put aside, the idea of a cover song is inherently vague.

In conclusion, let me say that none of my posts have been taken down by moderators, and in past discussions, I have offered over and over to take down any post that offends any member for any reason. I haven't received my first such request but I continue to maintain this policy. I would never be offended by such a request precisely because, as has been pointed out, this is a civil Forum of many talented, thoughtful and articulate people all of whose opinions get the same weight.

With kind regards,

Aleck

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
For the very same reason, all other considerations put aside, the idea of a cover song is inherently vague.

and yet the the idea of an original song seems pretty easy to grasp

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
having said all that, I think its safe to say that your posts are going over well, and I doubt that anybody wants you to stop. *I* sure don't

I just want to hear what you'd come up with given the challenge of writing a totally original song that borrows neither theme nor title nor melody nor lyrics from a well known song.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi alack this is a great forum lots of great feed back and comments that encourage people like myself its a journey of learning not having the theory back ground and don,t sing well I rely on my ears and try to do intrumentals I respect all musicians here who contribute there songs and work and I like your guitar work and the notes you choose very tasteful I have to say I enjoy lots of genres and love to here more from musicians that are successful out thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Pat,

You got it - the original tune you ask for.

Aleck

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Pat,

You got it - the original tune you ask for.

Aleck

Thanks Aleck, but... I don't see a link in your post... is it somewhere else?

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Another great performance Aleck. Really enjoyed the locked-hands approach.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Great guitar & bass playing!! Thanks

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Here it comes baby!

Aleck

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: alan S.
But what if someone were to post a so called 'original' composition that used the melodic outline and form of a well known song changing a note here or there perhaps adding some additional notes but not in a way that really disguised it's identity? Perhaps a chord or two is changed but again the functional structure is retained with all the points of resolution clearly following the original tune.
Assuming the tune was well enough known to be recognizable in the first instance, what would be the attitude of the forum towards this kind of re-creation? And would such a tune qualify as a contrafact at all?
Alan

I'm very new here and to BIAB.
I've only done one original song using BIAB as my test subject.

Regarding the above post could one say the following?:
If a verbatim song structure is easily recognizable by someone would that not define it, by default, as contrafact or derivative?
Would one say that not enough original thought/modifications were implemented in said song for one to actually call it an 'original'?

I think much of this is inherently determined by each of our own personal criteria/interpretations.
I can easily understand the diversity of opinions on this subject.
Hopefully, I stayed within the context of the entire thread of opinions.

Feliz Viernes to all....carry on. smile

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here it comes baby!

Aleck

You keep teasing us! Where is it?

-Scott

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Here it comes baby!

Aleck

You keep teasing us! Where is it?

-Scott

Scott,
he posted it in a new thread, located here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=204924#Post204924

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Who would have ever thought that a Jazz performance would get 600+ (and counting) listeners?

Quoting that revered philosopher of old NY radio DJ's, "Jocko" (of Jocko's Rocker Ship): GREAT KOOGA-MOOGA!!

You should also be warned about Jocko's judgment: He once introduced one of Jerry Lee Lewis' most famous songs by saying:

JACK BE NIMBLE, JACK BE QUICK, JACK JUMPED OVER THE CANDLE STICK ...

... and now, here's Jerry Lee Lewis with ... "GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!"

And Jocko was promptly fired. Nevertheless, I want thank all you who commented favorably, and say one more time, "GREAT KOOGMA-MOOGA, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!

Aleck

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I think it's safe to conclude that, if the numbers aren't lying, one answer to the "Problem(s) with Jazz" is now forthcoming. Many responses to my original post emphasized accessibility, a clear line-of-sight to the melody even when it is being transformed under improvisation.

And there was the oft quoted word, "noodling" as in "aimless noodling, possibly at 120 mph". Well, you just can't noodle with chords or play them at 120 mph, although I must say I do try.

At first I thought smooth jazz might be the accessible music that could attract the interest of Forum members. But numbers don't lie. Cerveza! will wind up getting more listeners than any of the smooth jazz, parody tunes, funk, vocals, or blues that I've posted. Because the improvisation is melodic. That's progress.

Aleck

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The problem with Jazz is that there is wayyyy toooo much talk about it and too little playing it.

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I wish that I could play guitar and bass like that!

IMHO this puts you in the upper class of jazz guitarists and justifies your place along side greats like Tony Mottola, Johnny Smith and others.

This is a keeper.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I wish that I could play guitar and bass like that!

IMHO this puts you in the upper class of jazz guitarists and justifies your place along side greats like Tony Mottola, Johnny Smith and others.

This is a keeper.

+1

(even though I pick on him)

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Mario,

I've never received such a profound complement. Wow! As a token of appreciation my next post is directed to you, compagno.

I hope I don't screw it up, but I can tell you that Pat Marr liked Blues for Pat the cat with the black hat. I'd like to keep batting 1000 if I can.

Aleck

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191