You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#206767 - 06/18/13 01:50 PM [Off-Topic] The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Okay, this one is for all your guitar players. I want to replicate to late 1950's and early 1960's guitar sound used on so many tracks by all sorts of artists, i.e., The Ventures, Jan and Dean, The Beach Boys, Dick Dale, etc.

What I'm looking for is the primary guitar used, any effects that are used, and settings and pickups. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to reproduce this on my Korg keyboard, but it's something I want to try. I know that the guys and gals here will be the ones to give me the information I need.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

#206772 - 06/18/13 02:06 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Gary Curran]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Hi Gary,

You start with a single coil pickup guitar, usually a Fender (Stratocaster, Jaugar, or Jazz Master) or a Mosrite. You usually use the bridge (treble) pickup for more bite and run it through a Fender Amp with plenty of reverb and the tone controls set for lots of treble. I preferred the Fender Super Reverb Amp with four 10” speakers. Sometimes tremolo is used also. Note humbucker pickups (Gibson) and large speaker sizes usually so not work well for surf music.

Other amps may be used as well however most will be set up very similar to those I have stated above.

If you need help feel free to PM me.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#206775 - 06/18/13 02:44 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Gary Curran]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#206786 - 06/18/13 06:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Gary Curran]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Pretty much what Mario said.

The Jazzmaster was very much in favor and the wide flat single coils had a sound which was very distinctive. A twin reverb, super reverb, or most other Fender amps will complete the set-up and with a bit of adjustment should provide the sound you're after.

ROG.

#206787 - 06/18/13 06:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Gary Curran]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
You don't HAVE to use a strat or other single coil guitar to emulate the surf sound, but it may help.

It can be done on just about any plank, even those with humbucker pickups, such as the Gibson SG, Les Paul Junior, etc.

I remember one cat who did a great job on his Gibson ES-335.

The "RECIPE" is as follows:

*Bridge Pickup

*The longer the string length, the better. This means that even if you can play certain note in higher positions, if you can play that note down closer to the nut, by all means play it there.

*Lose every bit of any studied articulation you may have worked on, such as the kind of picking used for Jazz runs, try to avoid Circle Picking, instead use a slightly more flexible pick and hit the strings darn near perpendicular for both up and down strokes.

Most Important Part:

*Pick some target players or songs, Dick Dale readily comes to mind, and internalize them. Learn to play them. That will give a beginning 'pallette' of phrases, devices and whatnot that can translate into the beginnings of emulating the style in other songs and places.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#206805 - 06/18/13 09:34 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Mac]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
What Mac said. That "sound" isn't too elusive.

It is pretty cool though.

#206814 - 06/19/13 12:13 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
If it isn't already obvious, be sure to use a spring reverb.

I must say, you're pretty ambitious here. I've used a synth in the past to simulate bass and distorted lead guitar sounds, but never a clean guitar. On the other hand, that was many years ago. Synths have come a long way from the monophonic analog units I was using. Please let us know what you come up with.

#206836 - 06/19/13 07:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Gary Curran]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Actually, the Surf Sound started *before* the famous Fender Reverb came out.

As referenced in the article that 90dB posted above, Dick Dale used no spring reverb on any of his early and genre-defining cuts.

However, today is another story, once the Spring Reverb was available on just about any amp to be purchased, the surf sound morphed into being drenched in that effect.

Pay attention to the TREMELO effect and how it differs in different amps. Not all are alike at all. Even the fender amps have featured different kinds of tremelos in certain models. And Ampegs have a Tremelo that is, well, "Ampeg".

Today we can use the various digital effects to great advantage as concerns the Reverbs and different types of Tremelos, highly recommended for the journeyman guitarist who may have to cover not only the Surf sound, but the entire gamut.

As with any effect, I find that it is important to resist overdoing it on the settings, though. If the reverb masks the definition of notes, the surf sound does not sound "right" to me.

Those aspiring to the sound should add The Ventures and The Shadows stuff to their arsenal as well as Dick Dale. Sprinkle on plenty of Skunk Baxter's expertise on that subject as well.

--Mac

Edited by Mac (06/19/13 07:59 AM)

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#206839 - 06/19/13 08:42 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Mac]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Adding to the tremolo confusion is the fact that some companies, including Fender, used the term interchangeably with Vibrato, see here: http://www.fender.com/news/tremolo-and-vibrato/

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#206844 - 06/19/13 09:44 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Gary Curran]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
These guys are really into it:

http://surfguitar101.com/ygroup/thread/69/

Of course, you have to actually be a surfer.

Edited by 90 dB (06/19/13 09:48 AM)

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#206890 - 06/19/13 05:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: MarioD]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Adding to the tremolo confusion is the fact that some companies, including Fender, used the term interchangeably with Vibrato, see here: http://www.fender.com/news/tremolo-and-vibrato/

That's one of the factors I was alluding to above, matter of fact, Fender once released a different kind of Tremelo effect in one of their amps, that not only changed the Amplitude of the signal repetitively, which is the classical definition of Tremelo, but also varied the PITCH very slightly in accordance with the pulse of the oscillator at the same time.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#206914 - 06/19/13 11:32 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Gary Curran]
Keith from Oz Offline
Veteran

Loc: NSW Australia
Look for "The Atlantics" on Youtube. Now THAT'S a surf guitar sound!

#206964 - 06/20/13 11:34 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Keith from Oz]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Originally Posted By: Keith from Oz
Look for "The Atlantics" on Youtube. Now THAT'S a surf guitar sound!

by request: atlantics on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7piZDR2EP6E

#206982 - 06/20/13 05:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The Quintessential Surf Guitar Sound [Re: Gary Curran]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Thanks everybody, I'll be working with my synth over the weekend to try to come up with a sound that is as authentic as I can get it. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Gary

PG Music News
National One-Hit Wonder Day!

Today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!

Have you ever created a "one-hit wonder" (that you'll admit to)? Post it to this thread - we'd love to hear it!

Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Forum Stats
27994 Members
57 Forums
54099 Topics
446311 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
nitz, smokinhalfnote, snenamor, yes daddy music, grivers

27993 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 499
David Snyder 181