Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#207206 06/22/13 07:24 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have been playing guitar since age 11 (nowdays I play AT guitar the way I play AT golf) and have never used a capo. Not that I haven't tried. I popped the thing on and just CAN'T ignore the fret markers to make the capo become the nut.

Did it take you real guitar players a long time to get comfortable with a capo? I just think it's "cheating" somehow.... like "Real men barre frets!!"

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #207208 06/22/13 07:40 PM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I mostly use guitar as accompaniment, either finger-picking or strumming. So I use a capo to easily and quickly transpose songs to the key I wish to sing them in. Plus I find the open chord forms are usually more pleasing to my ears than their barre versions.

I truly do not remember whether it was difficult to get used to as I have been doing it so long I just automatically adjust the markers in my head as soon as I put on the capo!

As to whether it is cheating I have found most of that nonsense is spread by fellow musicians...listeners could care less whether or not you use a capo and they are the ones I am hoping to please!

eddie1261 #207210 06/22/13 11:39 PM
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: eddie1261

Did it take you real guitar players a long time to get comfortable with a capo? I just think it's "cheating" somehow.... like "Real men barre frets!!"

this thread contains songs and artists who used a capo
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-714330.html

Quote:
I popped the thing on and just CAN'T ignore the fret markers to make the capo become the nut.

popp the thing on and just close your eyes and play
works for Jose Feliciano

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
eddie1261 #207211 06/23/13 12:11 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

The capo isn't a crutch, it's a tool. While I've never used one on an electric guitar, it's quite useful on an acoustic guitar in order to get the sustain that you can only get from open strings, or using a capo.

If you have a vocalist that insists on trying half step increments in order to find the perfect key, it's an invaluable tool.

A better tool would be to get a new vocalist! wink

bobcflatpicker #207213 06/23/13 01:28 AM
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

The capo isn't a crutch, it's a tool. While I've never used one on an electric guitar, it's quite useful on an acoustic guitar in order to get the sustain that you can only get from open strings, or using a capo.

I agree totally with Bob. It's not something I use very often, but when you need to it's invaluable.

BTW Bob, do you actually have an electric guitar?

ROG.

ROG #207216 06/23/13 01:49 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

I agree totally with Bob. It's not something I use very often, but when you need to it's invaluable.

BTW Bob, do you actually have an electric guitar?

ROG.

Roger,

I've owned a few dozen electrics over the years. The only thing I've got at the moment is an Epiphone Dot electric guitar, a custom Martin acoustic guitar and a customized mandolin.

Since I like eating more than I like my instruments, I've had had to sell everything but these 3 instruments after the mass layoff when the company I worked for got bought out.

Oh well.....

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 06/23/13 01:58 AM. Reason: Cuz I wanted to!
bobcflatpicker #207217 06/23/13 02:27 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
(The capo isn't a crutch, it's a tool. While I've never used one on an electric guitar, it's quite useful on an acoustic guitar in order to get the sustain that you can only get from open strings, or using a capo.)

I'm glad my guitar tutor stressed the ability to play in any key on guitar.....double barre's included! Recently, because of my excursions into "flat picking"....I follow the experts...use a capo where it sounds best!
Here's a tale....back in the sixties, I was recording a "skiffle/country cover" in Abbey Road Studios...(name dropper!)....a few problems....,they had already swapped rhythm guitar over to lead, so Big Jim Sullivan was on lead, much to my delight! When the others were on their break, he came over & said "Joe, play it through for me the way YOU play it at home?"........he tried a few fills...hammer-ons...(Wonderful!)
When we started again it sounded so much better.....the Bass player offered "to slap"...better still! Ready for a take..........the producer asked Big Jim...."That's great, but what will you do for the key change?"......Jim said, "If the bass will cover me for a couple of bars, I'll slap on a capo." (You could almost feel the other guitar player's amazement!)
In those days studio time was really expensive,( I was expected to do at least six numbers in a 3 hr. session!)
......the result of Big Jim's use of "a tool"? Next take was the one!
Ah well! Back to flat picking....."Whiskey Before Breakfast".....capo 2nd fret!! Regards, Joe G.

Last edited by Joe Gordon; 06/23/13 02:29 AM.
Joe Gordon #207219 06/23/13 02:46 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

Quote:
Back to flat picking....."Whiskey Before Breakfast".....capo 2nd fret!! Regards, Joe G.

I prefer "Whiskey Before Breakfast" without a capo, ... but I Like to drop the the low E down to D and play it in D instead of using a capo on the second fret while using a C position.

But that's just me.

bobcflatpicker #207225 06/23/13 04:22 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Darn Bob! Now you've got me thinking.......I wonder if??.....
Joe G.

Joe Gordon #207231 06/23/13 05:53 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tommy Emanuel don't need "crutches" but he loves "tools". Chet used a capo to great advantage also.

Watch Tommy use one and weep.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199184#Post199184

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 06/23/13 05:56 AM.
eddie1261 #207235 06/23/13 07:11 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I tend to avoid the capo - not that I believe everybody should.

It's easier for me to not worry about it, as my hands are always close by - I play electric/rock and not the kind of music that needs that kind of ringing - and the capo makes the guitar a little sharp (I've verified this with a tuning meter).

For the kind of playing I do, I tend to avoid the "cowboy chords" (open string chords as my now deceased guitar guru used to respectfully call them) and play mostly movable chords where I can use finger pressure to either sustain, choke or get somewhere in between.

There of course is nothing wrong with a capo in appropriate circumstances, but then again, there is nothing wrong about not using one either.

It all comes down to the style of music you are playing, who you are playing with (if anybody) and your personal artistic taste.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
eddie1261 #207236 06/23/13 07:11 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
...just CAN'T ignore the fret markers to make the capo become the nut.

Hi Eddie,

Consider picking up an inexpensive Classical Guitar that has no fret markers on it. Great for breaking that bad habit of depending upon the fret markers too much, but also kinda cool in so many other ways. Those nylon strings, being easier on the fingertips and muscles, can make for extended length practice sessions as well.

The other bit of advice I can give on this is that you should start "picturing" the chord shapes in your head instead of on the neck itself. That one thing is what gives us "ownership" of he shapes, and can speed up the time between chord changes as well.

As for the idea that use of the capo is "cheating" -- the only people who seem to take that stance are the self taught rock guitarists and such. The truth is that the Barre Chords have their place and the Capo also has its place as the Capo can allow us to do so many things other than the Barre Chords it ain't funny. Dependent upon type of song, style, genre, etc. of course. For example, use of Capo in a jazz or bebop guitar rendition is not likely something to do. But use of Capo for various Rhythm, Fingerpicking or just playing in some of the keys that don't yield easy use of "open" strings for droning and such makes the Capo a very useful tool.

--Mac

eddie1261 #207246 06/23/13 07:52 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have two categories for people:

1.) This group includes those that a) think using capos is cheating; b) think normalization is a good idea and c) hate Bruce Springsteen.

2.) This group includes everybody else.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Kemmrich #207279 06/23/13 04:56 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
I have two categories for people:

1.) This group includes those that a) think using capos is cheating; b) think normalization is a good idea and c) hate Bruce Springsteen.

2.) This group includes everybody else.

Kevin,

I understand snarky comments from you when there’s something contentious being discussed, but I don’t understand them when there’s not a contentious topic at hand.

Especially when what you say is totally inaccurate. I didn’t say using a capo is cheating.

What’s the deal?

bobcflatpicker #207281 06/23/13 05:08 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My original post said that I feel like I am cheating if I use a capo. His snarkiness was aimed at me.

That being said, I STILL can't make my brain stop using the fret markers.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
bobcflatpicker #207282 06/23/13 05:17 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Norman Blake, capo 3rd fret (Eb), just because he likes the sound there.

http://youtu.be/sYau7QfiiuM

Flatpicker Tony Rice playing Church Street Blues and proper use of a capo. Tony don't need no steenking crutches! He is acknowledged as one of the best living flatpickers.

http://youtu.be/gE992CZQJmM

Note capo, 3rd fret (Eb).

eddie1261 #207283 06/23/13 05:21 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

Quote:
I STILL can't make my brain stop using the fret markers.

I do the same, primarily because I’ve never had a guitar without fret markers.

That being said, what I do if for example I’m using a capo on the second fret and using a C position, I think in terms of C when I’m playing next to the capo but I switch to thinking in the key of D when I head up the neck.

Don Gaynor #207284 06/23/13 05:23 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good clip Don. I've always liked ole Norman.

He's the only guy I've ever listened to that can write a brand new song, but when he plays the song he can make it sound like it's a hundred years old. Considering that old time music is his thing, that's a real plus. wink

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 06/23/13 05:32 PM. Reason: Just cuz.
bobcflatpicker #207302 06/24/13 02:03 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bob, I've always liked him too......even before my most recent foray into flat picking! He always picks really cleanly....and that wonderfully relaxed right hand! If mine was only 50% of that I'd be delighted! Joe G.

eddie1261 #207338 06/24/13 09:08 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As much as I have no need for a capo for the kind of music I find myself playing, I certainly don't consider them cheating.

In music, what hits the ear is important, not how it was done.

I remember back when I bought my first Atari/ST computer and started making Band-in-a-Box aftermarket styles, other musicians considered computers cheating. Now some of them buy my software.

Perceptions change.

I enlarged the fret markers on the top of the guitars I bring on stage. Sometimes the stage is dark, or with bright lights the neck is in shadow, I sing so my mouth is sometimes glued to the microphone, so it is very difficult to see the fret markers.

I can do one or two fret jumps without looking, but if it gets much more than that, I want to look out of the corner of my eye and get it right.

When I play, I choose the fret position for how the music sounds, which is sometimes not the easiest or most convenient position. I may want certain inversions of a chord, or play notes on certain strings for the tone, and if it isn't the closest position to the one I'm currently playing, if I can do it, I'll make the jump.

Of course that is according to my 'artistic' interpretation (for better or for worse).

Auto-tune - now that's cheating (oops, to respond to that, please start a new thread).

But capos like pedals, whammy bars, alternate tunings, slides, fret markers, and anything else you can think of aren't cheating, just tools that enable you to get a certain sound. If it works for you, use it and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

I read where some rock star (forget who) wrote note names on the back of his bass neck. Cheating? Nah. Whatever gets you by.

In my duo I play with backing tracks that I make myself. A good friend of mine is a keyboard wizard and in his duo he does everything live. Does he think I'm cheating? I don't care. Other duos buy karaoke tracks and sing or sing and play over the top. Are they cheating? Not as far as I'm concerned. I'd take that short cut if I thought it would make me sound better, but I really like making the tracks sound like I want them to sound, in my key, and with my arrangement.

Cheating is copying someone's test paper in school, playing music is using whatever you have to make the best music you can make.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195