Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#208013 06/29/13 06:19 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
OP Offline
M
Hi BiaB experts.

While I do own a BiaB license, I am here to ask in behalf of a friend of mine who does not (yet).

He requested me to help him purchase a program called RealBookSoftware for some $150, but when doing a bit of research on that software in the Internet, I got the strong impression that the thing is a fraud.

The advertising for RealBookSoftware says, using it you can search a database of a great [*****] of RealBook songs and have the program play the selected song for you and display/print the lead sheet or musical notes and text.

I do know that BiaB would be able to do just this, when combined with a huge (well structured) directory of decently done RealBook transcriptions.

So I would like to recommend him to purchease a copy of BiaB. But where to get a really good collection of RealBook BiaB files ?

Thanks for any help,
-Michael

J
Expert
Expert
J
I think you're into an interesting aspect about licensing here, because if my understanding is correct, purchasers of BB/RB are free to sell their compositions. To the extent that the material itself is in the public domain (of which I would imagine most RealBook tunes are not) - then it would be perfectly legal.

For those tunes that are not in the public domain - then I would imagine the issue would be that of not paying royalties to the copyright owners of each song, but NOT for the generation of the music.

There are many more knowledgeable than I about such things. I hope to learn more and if appropriate be corrected regarding the angle I presented.

Veteran
Veteran
Michael, I would not recommend RealBook software. Like you I did some research and not only does it look illegal there are also a lot of activation problems with it, if in fact you can activate it at all!

A much better and legal way to do this is to buy BiaB, a legal fakebook like one of these http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_6szbqc16ue_b
and the matching Fake Disk, if there is one, from Norton’s music http://www.nortonmusic.com/contents.html#fake

It is legal as Norton’s Fake Disks have the chords only, however the chords are in the identical key as the fake book. Just load the song in BiaB and play along. You can not copyright a chord structure so all chord progressions are legal to copy and distribute. It’s the lead lines that can be copyrighted.

If there is no Fake Disk just input the chords from the fake book and go from there.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
M
OP Offline
M
I did find the site of Phillips Music and downloaded a ZIP file with some 500 BiaB File, seemingly containing chords and melody, many also the words.

I suppose this will be a good starter. BiaB can create a song list from the files that has some information What is lacking here is a kind of database that provides e.g. the Author.

-Michael

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Michael, I would not recommend RealBook software. ... there are also a lot of activation problems with it, if in fact you can activate it at all!

Exactly, This package rears it head occasionally over the years. My experience based on the money I paid for it - don't go there! eek

Veteran
Veteran
Check out www.iRealb.com Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Journeyman
Journeyman
+1 for iRealb

I had major issues with the RealbookSoftware. False delivery schedules, things NOT working as advertised etc etc just not a happy experience at all. It promises much, and delivers very little. To be avoided!

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Check out www.iRealb.com Later, Ray

No offers like that for Windows PC ?

-Michael

Veteran
Veteran
It's for Mac and Android. I sometimes use iRealb on short gigs. I have it installed on my android phone and android tablet. Later, Ray

Last edited by raymb1; 06/29/13 04:46 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
J
Expert
Expert
J
Originally Posted By: MarioD

A much better and legal way to do this is to buy BiaB, a legal fakebook like one of these http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_6szbqc16ue_b
and the matching Fake Disk, if there is one, from Norton’s music http://www.nortonmusic.com/contents.html#fake

Mario - thanks for that suggestion - it sounds interesting to me.

How good do the arrangements in the matching Fake Disk sound, and are there any tricks to quickly making the sound better (if that's even needed) ? Also - what do you think of the song selection in the particular Fake book(s) available in this format ? ?

Joe V #208269 07/01/13 08:20 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joe,

A fake book only has the melody line and the supporting chords. There are no arrangements. The chords in the FakeDisks match identically to the chords in the fake book and will input a corresponding style. Most of the time the style matches but occasionally I change the style. If you are looking for an exact arrangement to say a pop song it isn’t gonna happen with BiaB styles without a lot of manipulations.

I have three of the Norton FakeDisks to date, The Beatles, The Ultimate Broadway and The Ultimate Pop and Rock, and I like all three. I also have a few other FakeBooks that are not on Norton’s list. What you want/need will depend on what you want to play/practice.

I buy the FakeDisks as it saves me a ton of time, I don’t have to input the chords and find a starting style myself. However you can buy a FakeBook that is not on Norton’s FakeDisk list and manually put the chords and styles in yourself.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Mario,

On the strength of your recommendation I am going to try one of these Norton disks. I have always thought them a bit expensive, but I did not realise they contained all the chords written out.

Do they also have recommended styles for the tunes (within BIAB of course)?

Dennis

Veteran
Veteran
Bob Norton can answer better, but my experience has been that the Norton Fake disks use a mix of both PGMusic-provided and Norton-provided styles. He chooses a style he feels best works with the song (as I understand it, also based on the input from his own beta testers). So, if you don't have Norton's styles, you'll see the "style not found" message and have to load one that you do have. If you then save the song with the new style applied, you won't get that message the next time you open the file.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hmmm I just bought one anyway, as a test and I am going through the songs, and already I have an error.

The Sher New Realbook 1 (legal) has Black Narcissus as a 3/4 Jazz Waltz yet the Norton disk has it as a 4/4..

I have sent an email enquiring about the methodology used in ascertaining styles. It is not a criticism at all as other songs seem to be fine, although I have not finished the song scan yet. It is more to say that there may be some Norton songs that actually don't match up to the book charting.

EDIT: Thanks John, I just noticed your post after I did mine.

Yeah I read that in some of his spiel. I have the full BIAB style library so hopefully there should not be too many mismatches. As I wrote I am a little concerned re correct time sigs..anyhoo I have sent an email to him so I will await his instructions smile

Dennis

Last edited by joden; 07/01/13 01:49 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Brilliant support - Bob has already replied and we are now checking the style list..I do have the entire BIAB style library and at his end the jazz waltz style is loading...

More to come...

Journeyman
Journeyman
Well it looks like it may be a PG Music issue. The style supposed to load is #J~WLTZ1.STY but after a search of the BB directory (factory default installation) there does not appear to be any styles that start with the prefix #

And the Norton website says no user styles are used, only factory ones. So it cannot be a missing "user" style.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
My version of Black Narcissus sounds fine with the PG style, ^J~Window

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
Journeyman
Matt what is ^J~Window ? And I assume it is a 3/4. As I tried to stress it is NOT a criticism in any way of the Norton disk, and in fact Bob is providing good support.

But when I am using BIAB live, I need songs to load as per the book. I really do not have time to go through every song listing (I have quite a few fakebooks so I ws planning to buy several of the Nortons Disks) and if I get a call for a tune I have not checked, I was sorta hoping the songbooks would load up according to the chart.

Imagine if I had gone out and used this one cold at a gig, got a call for BN, everyone is expecting a 3/4, and it pops out as a 4/4 standard shocked

This is the first Norton Disk I have bought, and I am only at B's - with a mismatch already...I guess I am trying to ascertain just how accurate they really are...

Random selections also seem to only throw up a base ZZ style. So even though the books are setup, I suspect there will be a lot of editing to more accurately match styles, BUT at least all the chords are entered so that is a major bit of work that can be avoided smile

Dennis

joden #208299 07/01/13 03:26 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Dennis,

Then I think you and Bob have the answer - unless I misread your post.

I just read elsewhere ( http://bandinabox.wikia.com/wiki/Styles ) that it is Notes Norton styles that start with a "#" , NOT PG Music styles?

As confirm I also have no styles starting with "#" in my directories anywhere (I've got all files/styles going back to BIAB for DOS and I'm up to date with 2013 but I have zero Norton styles)

Even sans the "#" there is no "J~WLTZ1.STY" - closest thing NAME WISE is a style called

"J~WLZTRI.STY" - for the record it IS a 3/4 time, jazz trio waltz style.

Difference between your given style and this one is: The "Z and T are transposed" and where you have a number "1" this style has the letter "i" (eye) - but again sans "#"

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ahhhhh thanks Larry. That makes sense.

So what you are saying is I would also need to buy Nortons Styles as well, to get a 100% accurate match-up, yes?

Dennis

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195