Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi all,

On a previous post I opened a discussion on the importance of certain 'synth sounds' that characterize a song, and learned that in addition to synth sounds, even more important is the arrangement.

I've begun to write some original instrumentals, and would like to make them more interesting by adding other instrument parts. Trial and error, instinct, listening to other artists, and using one's ear is a great way to start - and I'm doing so.

But in addition can anyone recommend some 'classic' books that would speed up the process, or help me save time in getting better at this skill ?

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Critical listening and observation are the keys, not reading. That's my opinion.

Take your favorite pop tunes and analyze what is there from an arrangement standpoint.

Instrumentals are very rare in pop music, BTW. Lyrics do matter. A great deal, in my opinion.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

IMO, the problem with most instrumentals is there's no melody - just a bunch of jamming instead of a cohesive song.

If I was going to write instrumentals, I would learn from the masters. Here's a concert of one the most successful instrumentalists of all time. You can hear and see him and the live players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mejBINAhFI

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Have you mastered the harmony function in BiaB? This is the two strips on the upper right. Probably say <no harmony> right now.

Open a very simple song - something from the "50 SONGS" folder. Try a couple different preset harmonies. The "Convert harmony to melody track" will cause the new harmony notes to show up as notation.

After a LOT of experimentation, you will begin to see how these harmonizations work. The defaults that come with the program are standard models that real arrangers use all the time.

Once you are pretty sure you know whats going on with the defaults, try the "Edit" button. It will take some figuring out, but it is so worth it.

I learned harmony the hard way from books and classes. It takes years. You already have the best harmony-teaching tool I have ever seen.

Last edited by flatfoot; 07/08/13 10:04 AM.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Flatfoot makes a great point. BIAB has the two Harmony pull-down menus (in the upper right, just over the little keyboard) for the Melody and the Soloist. Start with "3 above" then "6 below" then move into more advanced. The only catch is you must know intervals to decipher the names. Many of those choices even have clues in the name to explain what they are doing. Often the first number is the number of voices (say, 4 parts) and the second is something with an interval (like drop 2).

I have a shelf full of books on arranging. The sad part is, they are often more beneficial after you already know how to do it. Try some experimenting in BIAB and study what it does, learning what different choices of harmony sound like. Usually you would use either the Melody or the Soloist harmony pulldown, not both. One little cautionary tip: if you like a harmony and freeze a track, don't apply more harmony to it, or your head will spin trying to hear all the parts.

And here's a little kept secret: BIAB does some fine arranging on its own. I just finished a project arranging my music for a symphony orchestra. For one soli, I needed open voiced trombones to back me up on a line. I set the key signature and used BIAB for the melody phrase and chords, and let it generate the parts by Harmony #218, open fourths. I saved it as MIDI and imported that into my notation program. Task done, quicker than doing it myself.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sometimes I use the harmonies just as BiaB creates them. Other times I will edit the parts in the Notation window to make the sound a little more humanoid.

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Matt! Congratulations on the symphony gig. Sounds totally fun!

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
I've begun to write some original instrumentals, and would like to make them more interesting by adding other instrument parts.

it might help if we knew
what style of music the songs fit

what instrument parts you'ld like to add

what tools you have to produce the sounds you want, keyboard, synths, percussion etc

if you have chords + melody have you tried using various biab styles with the songs

the first 4 links here http://pghboemike.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/songwriting-lessons/

may be helpful

from an amazon search for arranging music

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0...arranging+music

Last edited by pghboemike; 07/08/13 01:47 PM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Thank you all for the great suggestions on using the features of BB/RB and the links - I hadn't thought of using those features of the program to explore harmonies, and the links are exactly pertinent also.

Stylewise - I'm 'locked' into the songs I group up with - I love multipart harmonies and the arrangements from the old groups such as the Eagles, Beach Boys, Abba, Chicago, Fleetwood mac. I would love some suggestions on some newer music to listen to that is a little more 'modern' (e.g. not decades old !!!) and has songwriting just as solid as these old megagroups.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Joe,

Take just one song that you like from the 'old' groups and break it down arrangement-wise in thus fashion:

First listen through, write out the section names and lengths in number of measures.

Second listen through the song, simply write down all of the 'parts' that you can hear. Just make a list. Then use a spreadsheet software to put the sections in the rows and the 'parts' in the colums.

Example:

Row names: intro, verse 1, chorus 1, verse 2, chorus 2, bridge, verse 3, chorus 3, chorus 4, outro, etc.

Column names: acoustic guitar 1, acoustic guitar 2, electric guitar 1, electric guitar 2, drums, bass, piano, organ, etc.

Then listen through the song specifically listening for each part by itself, as you pace through the sections, write out what that 'part' is doing, eg. arpeggiated chords likely in root position on neck, strummed lightly on 8ths, etc. Delayed (dotted 8th) lightly distorted lead on electric, etc. Also make particular notes of where the part is silent - one of the best ways to make arrangements better is to mute parts for sections.

It doesn't matter if the song is old or new. Get this skill nailed. It doesn't take a book to learn to do this. It takes practice. Do it enough, and you will start to see patterns and recognize how an arrangement 'clicks'.

I do this for all of our church's worship team songs - even though I'm not the worship leader, we use these grids to lay out how we are going to divide responsibility in the band, for every song that is in our playlist for the week.

It takes me about an hour to do a 4 minute song - to write out all of these notes, count out the section lengths, etc.

Again, whether the song is old or new, doesn't really matter. Decide what you want to sound like then see if you can ape it.

Here's an example: I really loved hearing Beck's album "Sea Change" on a flight from Detroit to somewhere. I had no idea who the artist was, but I loved the arrangements and orchestration. When I found out it was Beck, I was shocked, because I had really loathed his previous material. Here's a YouTube of the opening track, "The Golden Age": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zAT15vaFk

I loved the use of quirky instrumentation, big sounding reverbs on the vocals, etc. and the space of the song. It is as wide open as the desert imagery that are in the video and in the lyrics.

I wanted to see if I could copy the vibe of the song - so I tried a 2 minute version of it for a KVRaudio.com song contest that concentrated on covers. Out of about 70 entries that month (if I recall correctly) - I won. Most of it was down to pretty simple instrumentation, and a scrupulous critical listening to the arrangement then trying to copy that arrangement to the best of my ability in my basement 'studio'.

Here's my 2 minute version (KVR song contests were limited to 2 minute versions). http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/new...ute%20cover.mp3

I had some accusing me of outright copying the song - which if you listen carefully, I did not - rhythm acoustic is different, vox different, etc.

But I pretty much nailed the arrangement details. Mix might not be exactly right, effects are off a bit (drums in particular) my singing might not be up to snuff, but I use this as an example of what I'm referring to as 'critical listening'. It's somewhat laborious, but it pays off, in my opinion as one arranges and produces a finished product.

No book would tell me how to do that process. So, pick a simple song by one of the fave bands above, and get at writing out a verbal description of what you hear. Once you are able to hear each part in isolation, you are well on your way to being able to arrange for a particular vibe.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
>>>...I love multipart harmonies and the arrangements from the old groups such as the Eagles, Beach Boys,...>>>

VOCAL harmonies are a different smoke entirely. Mostly the groups you mention, and others, work out their parts without notes or books. I learned to do it at a Bluegrass camp, and I had to unlearn some my Conservatory practices before I got it right.

I suggest you lieten to the Louvin Brother on You Tube. They are kind of the grandaddies of the genre. The Everly brothers learned from the Louvins, the Beatles and the Beach Boys learned from the Everlies, and so on. Then find samples in the BiaB harmonies that will help you

Last edited by flatfoot; 07/08/13 06:37 PM.

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
agreed with flatfoot that you are up a creek with trying to match Beach Boy and other vox harmonies. Was it in this thread where you stated you wanted to do instrumental pop music?

Anyways, on the critical listening front - I have just spent the last hour and a half analyzing this recent modern worship hit song: http://youtu.be/qOkImV2cJDg

I have a spreadsheet where I wrote out all of the part descriptions for each of the song sections.

I'll see if I can post the excel file to my website and then provide a link to it.

Here's the link to the xls file http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/songmaps/Whom%20Shall%20I%20Fear%20-%20Chris%20Tomlin.xls

Let me know if you can hit that or not.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 07/08/13 10:16 PM.
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Again - thanks for all the great suggestions. Often an open-ended post leads to a wonderful place I couldn't have predicted.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The greater majority of Pop vocals are going to be either the "one up" - "one down" or "one up and one down" harmonies.

The vocal harmonizer inside BiaB has those as Settings to select, and can represent a good way to learn, practice and know these.

The above can be based on the Melody line, or may be based on the Chord Changes sometimes.

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Joe,

I challenge you to take your favorite song from one of your list of bands, and simply start the process by listening through the whole song several times and just list all of the various instruments.

For example, The Eagles' "Take It Easy", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEzTdBJUHO8 on my first listen through I heard the following:

1. At least two different acoustic guitars
2. At least two different electric guitars
3. Bass
4. Drums
5. Banjo
6. Lead Vox
7. Harmony Vox, possibly 3 part in some sections - some are sung words, some are 'oohs'

Now, for each of those parts there are specific details that would help me play/arrange/record them, dedicate a track in my DAW project for them.

Let's begin to break down the song. Just looking at one part - I'm listening through again to try to isolate what I hear for that part.

I'll select the 2nd electric guitar that I hear. I'm talking about the electric guitar that is isolated to the right track - listen close, there's a slow arppegiated part twang through verses and choruses, which disappears somewhat in the mix at the instrumental - but it's still there. Panned hard right I would guess if I could hit the solo button on the mixer! It has a little bit of chorus on it and some reverb. Sits pretty far back in the mix. It doubles up on the hook riffs, but still sitting far back in the mix.

Can you hear that same part when you listen through? I picked that because I think it's one of the more subtle arrangement and mix choices that the producer/arranger made. But it adds without being obvious.

If so, write down notes like the above for what you hear - for each of the parts that are there. Write them out section by section of the song. You then have the framework of the arrangement for that song. Use it as a ghost song framework for your own song.

Why is it important to develop this kind of a skill as a composer/arranger?

How many times have I listened to this song in my lifetime? Hundreds of times, likely. I never noticed the banjo before. Not until doing what I call Critical Listening (perhaps others call it this as well).

In so doing, I heard an instrument in the song that was never obvious to me before. Now a banjo player would pick that out probably first time through.

But if I were to set out to do my own cover track of this Eagles tune, you can be darn sure I would have a RealTrack (or hire one of my banjo playing friends) to have that part in there.

I also know that to get an authentic reproduction, I'm gonna need more than one track for electric guitars. Whether I play it, hire it out, use a RealTrack or other, I'm gonna have to nail that in the arrangement.

etc.

Pay attention to where stuff drops out as well. Just as important as putting it in. This particular song doesn't have much dynamics - there's no significantly quieter section. In this regard, it's rather boring. It's kind of in your face the whole length of the song. People say there are no dynamics in modern music - well here's a classic country rock tune with almost no dynamics either.

-Scott

(Edit: I realize that calling this megahit 'boring' I may have angered some - but I'm just calling it as I hear it - sorry if anyone found it offensive)

Last edited by rockstar_not; 07/09/13 10:26 AM.
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Ok Scott - I'm going to give it a try tomorrow - I skimmed your post, but didn't read the details, and then compare with what you heard. Thanks for getting me started.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott, those are great posts by you on your critical listening technique - with step by step instructions and a spread sheet example. I don't think I've ever seen the subject explained so concisely that well.

Thank you for sharing that.

P.S. Excellent job on the Beck song.

Last edited by Sundance; 07/09/13 08:42 PM. Reason: to add kudo I almost forgot
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Scott, those are great posts by you on your critical listening technique - with step by step instructions and a spread sheet example. I don't think I've ever seen the subject explained so concisely that well.

Thank you for sharing that.

P.S. Excellent job on the Beck song.

Thanks, Josie. Practicing this is probably the most important skill I have worked on to improve my songwriting and composing and for being a band member playing what amounts to cover tunes on Sundays on our worship team at church. The Beck tune was the first one where I worked pretty hard at it and wrote it all out as to what i heard. Doing this also helps me mix our worship team for dynamic impact. I play the faders.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Josie,

Scott is one of the best we have on the forum for digging into the topic and explaining the details on a technical subject in a way that makes sense.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195