Go To
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
I will probably never write a song where I have to worry about this - but I might be curious if a song I wrote ACCIDENTALLY violates someone else's copyright. So I thought I'd open a discussion with the following questions.

How close does a melody have to be to another to be considered copyright infringement ? Who determines this and when ?

For the sake of discussion, if the first 2 notes of George Harrison's opening notes to "My Sweet Lord" were put in opposite order - would that have excluded it from the copyright infringement claimed by the Shirrels in "He's So Fine" ?

For those intentionally looking to reuse the influence of a copyrighted melody, is there a quantitative way to change it to eliminate the possibility of violating a copyright infringement ?

Are there any software tools that can help with this ?

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Who determines this and when ?

It's all subjective, but ultimately the courts decide. You only have to look at history.

ROG.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Changing the note names likely would not change it enough, it isn't a one-input problem. Note values, timing and rhythm play a very significant role, and don't overlook that songs that have lyrics, the lyrics are also copyrightable, too.

As for your given example, this should show the why of the decision:

My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Ultimately a single grace note is what decided the MSL/HSF case against Harrison.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I think you mean, "pickup note" rather than Grace Note. Since there aren't any Grace Notes heard in either song.

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Thanks for your feedback. This IMHO, while not maybe the most interesting 'legal' question - as ROG said ultimately courts decide. But I think it interesting from a computer science and artistic sense.

When big $$$ and lawyers are involved, the first winners are always the lawyers. They make a nice dime regardless of the people they represent, and are smart enough to only take 'slam dunk' obvious outcome cases pro-bono. When you write the laws, it's great that you can define the business in such a way that you pretty much always make money. If the case is in court - obviously some money has probably been made already, and aside from the person making the money on the song - everyone else has not so much to lose for being involved in such a case (this could be another interesting discussion for an entirely different website : )

But with regard to copyright and patent infringement for that matter, my feeling is that ultimately the winner is based on a subjective decision that may have some 'sound' (pun intended : )reasoning behind it with respect to a stated law that will be very broad, general, and vague with respect to the particular problem at hand. This is because as Mac said, determining copyright violation is at best a 'fuzzy' problem based on 'fuzzy' variables and therefore ultimately 'fuzzy' laws.

Music is becoming more and more a 'science' in terms of how it's generated and the way it affects us emotionally...not that it wasn't a science before, it was just a generally less understood and less quantitative science.

The ability for the 'science' problem of codifying rules to generate pleasing music sequences that people would like to listen to is paving the way - granted it will be a while before a program like BB/RB is paired with a composition tool that allows it to 'write' things that for today, people (probably on this very site) will insist cannot be placed by a computer.

And while the thought of writing a copyright test program to compare to mp3 files and spit out a "Yes" or "No" to the answer "Does song B violate the copyright of song A ?", thinking about how one would TRY to write such a program would certainly lead to some interesting insights about the art and science of music.

Just my 75 cents worth of ponderings. Feel free to ponder back : )

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Joe, this isn't really something to worry about ahead of time unless you are blatantly copying right out of the gate.

Go write and record your songs. Look at it this way, a whole pile of folks are using RB/BIAB to generate accompaniments. There are going to be similar guitar riffs, backing of various instruments, etc. as a result. IF someone gets famous using the autogenerated stuff, it will sound a heckuva lot more alike than the the Satriani vs. Coldplay case:

http://andyontheroad.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/joe-satriani-v-coldplay-settles/

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/cacdce/2:2008cv07987/432491/#20090909

If you are really concerned, copyright your stuff. It's not hard nor expensive.

I would say there's not much to worry about until you get fabulously popular. By then, if you aren't paying a good lawyer, shame on you. Just don't blatantly copy somebody's work knowingly.

-Scott

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The first hurdle to jump in cases of copyright infringement is simple enough.

Unless and until your work makes serious money, you are unlikely to get much more than the Cease and Desist letter.

And, if you are in the wrong, you should do what that letter's title says.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mac
I think you mean, "pickup note" rather than Grace Note. Since there aren't any Grace Notes heard in either song.

What I meant was to quote Judge Owen's Opinion and Order in the case of Brite Tunes Music Corp v. Harrisongs Ltd. He concludes in his order that a "grace note" possibly added by Billy Preston and included on the lead sheet was what brought him to decide that Harrisongs infringed BTM's copyright.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That last post by Mac was what I was going to add.

On the other hand, if you recognize that you are accidentally copying another's work, you should give yourself the "cease and desist" order. Just for ethical purposes.

I once wrote the melody to an instrumental blues song while messing around on the flute. Never really published it, but continued to play it every once in a while simply because it was fun.

Or I thought I did. Then I went to a used record shop and bought a Dave Brubeck LP that I owned when I was a child but lost when I went on the road at 18 years of age.

Well to my surprise, when "Maori Blues" started playing, there was my 'original'. Of course it wasn't exact, but I'd say at least 80% there and the first 8 bars almost verbatim.

You can revive things from your musical past, and not even realize it. So I issued myself the "cease and desist" order, but for another year or two, still messed around with variations of "Maori Blues", with a tip of the hat to Dave Brubeck.

I don't know of any software that can even give you a clue as to whether the song you wrote is an unconscious ripoff or not.

And to add to some of the subjects touched upon in this thread. I don't know if science will ever be able to analyze what makes a song good and put that to use.

After all, what's good to one isn't good to another. I recall going to a symphony where the last piece was a Shostakovitch symphony (#9 I think). I love Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, and many of the other composers of the era, but on the way out Leilani and I heard someone grumbling about the last piece saying it was trash.

On the other hand, I don't care much for Mozart or Bach, but I do recognize their genius.

Why do I love Dvorak but am usually bored by Brahms? Brahms did so many clever things in his music, that I am awed by his craft. But for some reason, the music is pleasant, but doesn't thrill me.

Why do I like Beethoven's 4th and 7th the best but don't really care for the public's favorite, number 9?

I like the sax playing of Stan Getz but another certifiable genius, John Coltrane's music doesn't often speak to me.

I love Thelonius Monk, Gene Harris and Dave Brubeck on the piano for entirely different reasons. Hiromi Uehara is fabulous, but her music doesn't move me.

I have dozens of Muddy Waters and Bobby Bland cuts on my iPod, but only a few Howlin' Wolf or Otis Spann.

And I don't know why.

I could go on but you all are probably bored by now.

The point is, there are only two kinds of music. Good music, and music written for somebody else.

What appeals to me is personal, and it may have something to do by the way my brain is 'wired' or developed during the childhood years of plasticity. But not directly by what I listened to, because some of the music my parents played I love, and others I didn't care for.

I guess these are the things the scientists are investigating.

I think what makes a hit record is more about promotion than about content itself. Not that content isn't important. But content changes. Al Jolson, Glenn Miller, Duane Eddy, and other genres from the past wouldn't make it today, because they are simply out of fashion. If you played any modern Rap music before it became in style, you would have been jeered off the bandstand.

When working for Motown, Berry Gordy gave the songwriter in our band the same famous advice he gave everybody. Write something close enough to today's hits to be familiar, but far enough away so it isn't a copy. And I'll add this: The rest is in the promotion.

To get back on track, Mac's advice stands.

If you make a fortune on the song, you can afford a good lawyer. If you don't, probably no one will care. I hope you make the fortune, enough money to buy the copyright of the song you are innocently infringing on.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've read a few of these court cases and what stuck me about them was the musical knowledge of the attorneys and judges.

Love em or hate em, attorneys are highly educated people who have interests just like everybody else. Most of them handling music related cases minored in music or are even grads from big name music schools, realized there's no money in it and then switched to law school so a lot of music copyright attorneys and judges do know what they're talking about.

Some of these cases really dig deep into the music school level of melody analysis. It isn't just some subjective opinion about what something sounds like.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hizzoner can way what he likes, many do, which may be part of our problems, but unless and until someone can point to Grace Notes in either of the two recording in question, I stand by what I've already said, which is, "I can't hear any Grace Notes" in them. Pickup Notes, I hear. Grace Notes, no.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
As with many cases in court, its what you put in writing that ultimately make the difference. The published written music both showed a grace note on the staves and that is where the court made its decision. The rest of the song was considered to be too common to have been a violation of copyright but the single note added to them was not.

Keith
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
And to all that I say: Joe V, record your song - don't delay. Get it out for us to hear what you have to play.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Not to soften all other replies:

The melody closest to an original rewarded with copyright is "Happy Birthday to You". The original "Good Morning to All" differs from "Happy Birthday to You" very decisively after the first quarter note for the lyrics pat "Good" was replaced by two eighth notes to resemble the two syllables of "Happy".

The rest of the melody is supposedly identical.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good Morning To You was in public domain. You can rip off the melody from anything in PD and it's OK.

Take Dan Fogelberg's "Same Auld Lang Syne" - the melody of the verse is the same as Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture". No problem.

There are dozens of other examples, but that was the first that came to mind. Zeppelin uses "Mars" from "The Planets", Deep Purple quoted Dvorak, Barry Manilow quoted Chopin, Procol Harum quoted Bach, and the list goes on and on.

I suspect that if you put new words to "Happy Birthday To You" you would be legal (note: I'm not a copyright lawyer - try this at your own risk).

In the end, if it's not PD, it's all about the best lawyer convincing or not convincing a jury.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW- “How close does a melody have to be to another to be considered copyright infringement” is directly proportional to skill of your lawyer.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,183
Members38,518
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01
38,517 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185