You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#210502 - 07/26/13 05:40 PM [Off-Topic] My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically. With an attempt at 'poetry':

Last week, to celebrate my happy birthday
we drove to West Palm, stopped at the VA

To the hospital, in the nursing home
where the wheelchair bound vets, live and roam

No talk about money, we didn't take any
but our rewards, were good and plenty

We played for an hour, then a little more
for the gentlemen, crowding the floor

They clapped, and laughed, some had tears in their eyes
and when it was done, we met some great guys

This is the second time, we volunteered here
and they've invited us back, to do it next year

The Stuart Elks made all, the arrangements for us
we had all the fun, they did all the fuss

To all the vets, who served yesterday
we're happy to have helped, brighten your day

It was great, and the warm reception from the vets was a great birthday present for me.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#210507 - 07/26/13 07:19 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically [Re: Notes Norton]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
So proud of you, Bob.

Not only as a veteran, but as a wee Orishman trapped within a bent and broken body.

#210517 - 07/26/13 10:02 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically [Re: Notes Norton]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Way to go Notes, ya really got to be there to experience the enjoyment these old soldiers get from a little music and a little attention. Did I say "attention"? sorry, never yell that in an old vet's home!

As Russ says Good On You!

later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#210538 - 07/27/13 09:49 AM [Off-Topic] Re: My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Thanks Don and Danny,

When I was 18, I was shuttled to Miami with a busload of other young guys for our mandatory physical exam for the selective service (draft).

I wanted to join the Air Force Band. I was first sax in the all-state band 3 years in a row - and although the honor goes to the alto player by default, I got it playing tenor. So I figured I had a good chance at the band.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I had chronic bronchitis as a youth, and I had just gotten over an attack before the physical. When the doc listened to my lungs he asked me some questions about the bronchitis, and passed me on to the next station (it was like an assembly line).

When the draft board classification came, I was classified 4F - unfit for service.

So I do small things like this as my contribution to those who served.

While I don't agree with everything my government asks our men and women in uniform to do, I have the utmost appreciation for those who risk making the ultimate sacrifice to do our country's bidding.

It's rewarding for me as well as the audience, and I highly recommend others to volunteer. If you don't know how, contact a local Elk's lodge. They did all the leg and phone work, we just had to show up and play.

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove

#210543 - 07/27/13 12:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically [Re: Notes Norton]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Bob, you are my personal hero for bringing the joys of music to nursing homes. I have witnessed first hand how music makes Alzheimer, Dementia, and end-of-life patients glow with renewed life and hope when they hear the music of their youth on a customized playlist and iPod.

I am discouraged by the lack of interest that I and my niece have been able to generate in The iPod Project. Very disheartening.

An afterthought: My retired Dynavox VMax device is still getting US$5000 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DynaVox-Vmax-Ser...=item20d59d702a

If nothing else, I will sell it then buy iPod knock-offs from China and give them to patients here.

Edited by Don Gaynor (07/27/13 12:50 PM)

#210634 - 07/28/13 03:27 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

If anyone else wants to donate some time to the vets, it's easy and personally rewarding. Here's what you do
  • Make sure you have a little material for the WWII and Korea vets and a lot for the Nam vets, as is the age group that are mostly in the nursing home (we met two 90+ year old's who served in WWII)
  • Contact your local Elk's lodge. The Elk's have veterans service as one of their main interests. They can provide all the logistics and coordination - all you have to do is agree on the date and show up
  • Show up, play for an hour or so, have fun, and share a good day with some deserving people

It doesn't take a lot to spread the joy, and if you are like Leilani and I, you will get as much out of it as the vets do.

The first time I did this, I thought it would be depressing to play for a bunch of wheelchair-bound people. But I was completely wrong. Sitting on those chairs are some very interesting people -- people who might not have use of their legs, but have some very good brains in their heads. Talking with them after the show was great.

As a pro, I don't play for free for just anybody, and definitely not for someone who is making a profit on my performance.

But if I believe in the cause, and it isn't a profit-making venture, I am happy to donate some time. It's a good way to give a little back.

And serving those who served us just seems right.

#210660 - 07/28/13 07:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically [Re: Notes Norton]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
That is a great birthday present to you and to the vets.

Our wedding band, when we were together, has played at our local vets nursing home. They were the only free jobs we played.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#210701 - 07/29/13 10:49 AM [Off-Topic] Re: My birthday was last week And this is how I celebrated musically [Re: Notes Norton]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Good for you Mario!

I've also done a few benefits for fellow musicians who had serious medical problems - (as most of us are uninsured), one to put pressure on the local government officials not to approve a construction project that would have had severe environmental impact for our Indian River Lagoon (one of the most diverse fish nurseries in the USA), one to help Hurricanes Andrew and Katrina victims, and a few others.

It doesn't amount to a lot of free gigs, maybe one or two per year, but if I believe in it, if I think it's not a profit making business in disguise and if it isn't either religions or partisan political, I'll do it.

Sometimes it just feels good to know you've done something to help.

Notes

Edited by Notes Norton (07/29/13 10:51 AM)
Edit Reason: Huge typo

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonials!

Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Forum Stats
27147 Members
49 Forums
50348 Topics
413325 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
okelly, Hakans Evergreen, serg_s_baklanov, Hisham Hammad, maryyy

27146 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 260
Noel96 223