Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm trying to decide on a mic to use to make recordings of instruments and voice at home. The instruments will be trumpet, flute, and ukes. No, not all at once smile. The ukes will not have any wind instruments with them. Here's my current setup:

Micro Express destop 23b, 8gb ram, quadcore pentium sandy bridge. Win 7 home premium
Ua-4fx sound module mainly used for SD2
Other midi devices via usb: Akai EWI, Akai mpd18, alesis Q25
No fancy speakers. Just a powered 3 speaker logitech system.
I have a Soundblaster xfi 7pci soundcard, but, I think the sound is all going in and out of the ua-4fx. I don't have anything plugged into the sound card jacks on the desktop. I do have a creative external soundcard that I use with the netbook with some success so that's also available.

We have an AKG 1000c condenser mic (needs 9v battery for ext. power) that's rarely used. We were using it to for my wife's flute, but went to a clip on mic instead. The ua-4fx is supposed to have xlr phantom power. I read some posts that said the ua-4fx would not power their AKG 3000 condenser mic.

I'm finally ready to try some recording, but not sure where to go from here. I guess I could use my Nexus Tablet, but I'm thinking that the quality might be skimpy to say the least. Some have touted the H2's and H4's. I'm hoping to keep the cost around $100-$150--or less. Thanks for any suggestions.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Stan, looking at the manual for the UA, on page 11, it describes the mic input jack, and that there is a switch for phantom power on the underside of the unit. This should be able to power the AKG mic.

Don't believe posts - look up the details in the manual then experiment. Here's a link to the manual: http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=UA-4FX&id=10349680

I would stick to using the UA-FX. You can probably put the soundblaster aside. You have PG's RealBand or PowerTracks Pro Audio - correct? If so, you have all of the pieces of the puzzle for doing some home recording.

-Scott

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, Scott. I will experiment. I also have Sonar X1 studio and X2, but I haven't tried X2 yet. Mario has recommended a Tascam DR-05 which he has used with success. I'm seriously considering it since it is mobile and I can record our uke club also.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
No harm in buying something portable. I bought a BLUE microphones Digital Mikey, which gives me stereo microphone recording capability with my iPhone, but at home, I'm using a TASCAM US-800.

The only thing I caution you against is that in my opinion, TASCAM has one of the worst customer service attitudes in the industry. If you have a product without technical issues, no problem, but if you have one which has quirky drivers and so forth, you are left to fend for yourself.

The US-800 story shows how they handle poorly designed hardware/software. This product has known issues with the drivers. Rather than work on a driver set that actually works, they simply put the product on fire-sale and quit building it. The US-series of products used to go US-144, US-200, US-400, US-600, US-800, US-1200, etc.

Once the US-800 came out and they couldn't fix it's memory leak issue with the first update to the drivers, they simply quit trying. At least that's how it appears to this customer.

I will never recommend their products to anyone with how they behaved with this particular product.

For a whole bunch of threads on all kinds of different forums about how US-800 actually functions, simply type in "US-800 memory leak" into Google and see what pops out.

I believe that KeithS on our forums here is one of the TASCAM support forum moderators. He might be able to vouch for whether the TASCAM unit you are considering for mobile use is reliable or not.

-Scott

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
It was recommended to me by someone who is and has been using one with no problems. I don't think there are drivers for it as an issue. None come with it anyway. It's the DR-05.

Cornet Curmudgeon
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Stan, for your home recording use - the UA and the AKG are going to be better for recording your instruments. Mono simplicity.

Give the pair a try.

For field use to record gigs, something like the DR-05 is going to be way easier to use.

-Scott

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, Scott. The dr-05 works great. I discovered that I can also use it as an mp3 player for out gig backups. The menu system takes some getting used to though.

Cornet Curmudgeon
M
M
It's a bit out of your price range ~ but I give rave reviews to a used Equation Audio F20 mic a bought a few months ago. It sounds incredible on strummed instruments (the reason I bought it in the first place) and brass. It wouldn't be my first choice for flute, but I have some excellent mics to choose from, and I daresay it would perform quite well if you're looking for a one size fits all mic. You would probably need to tweak a bit of the high end out of the sound if you used it for flute. I paid $240 used. They seem to be hard to find - not many of them around.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,457
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195