Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
I am wondering if anyone has any good rules of thumb, or tips, about how to set the levels when mixing two tracks - a backing track such as from a BIAB (bass and drum) file or Aebersold file, and a solo track, such as from a digital piano.

Obviously, the ear must be the final judge, and the goal must be to be able to hear all the parts. But beyond that, is there a good rule of thumb to get in the right ballpark, such as prenormalize both tracks and merge them? Or look at the vumeters while mixing and make sure the two tracks are roughly equal? Or set them equal and then knock the backing track down so many dB?

The reason I ask is that I have been setting the two tracks roughly equal, but I am getting some feedback to the effect that the backing track level may be too high. I'm not sure what to make of this. When I listen to excellent pianists on Youtube who record with backing tracks, it seems to me that the tracks are usually set about equal. Maybe it is a very subjective thing. I'm wondering if some people just expect to hear the bass as a thump down there someplace that just marks time, whereas I like to hear the root motion of the chords, so I set it higher.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Veteran
Veteran
There are no fixed rules. Just comes down to a decision on what the listener should be hearing.

Sounds like you are the arranger and producer as well as recording engineer. Therefore, you get to decide how the levels are set based on what you want the listener to hear.

Otherwise, I have always been told - the producer has the final word, but that's you!

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I would not normalize either track before mixing. If you max out one track, then you have no headroom for further processing. Once you get a final mix, then you may adjust the final stereo track if it isn't hot enough (that's mastering).

One tip I use to mix is to listen at a very low volume. If I can hear all the instruments, it will be good when louder. I also listen from down the hall. I also test the mix on lots of players, from good stereo systems to boomboxes to headphones to earbuds to cars etc.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
For me, I often don't like the spread of a stereo piano track.

Most times a digital piano comes as a set panning of the L/R. So much low register on the left, and so much of the upper on the right.

One trick I learned long ago was to take those two channels (L/R) and split them to two separate mono tracks.

Then you can control not only how far 'left' the low register is and how far 'right' the upper is, but also the volume of each (and the timbre of each as well).
If you could get the desired 'thump' more centered in the mix, maybe the rest of the track wouldn't have to be so loud..

This trick can help to define a piano, especially when other tracks are involved.
Think about it from a listener standpoint; they are not sitting at the piano and hearing the L/R sound; they are in the audience and the piano may be off to the right and sound pretty much like one mono instrument..

IMHO most piano samples are done as if it was a Solo piano performance, which is often not the needed scenario.

Last edited by rharv; 08/11/13 11:31 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
I'm with rharv on this one. I always prefer the piano as a mono instrument - it sounds more natural and gives it more definition.

Also, I think Dan is right when he says that there are no fixed rules. If it sounds right to you, have the confidence to go with it.

The only other thing is that some pianos sound good on their own, but are often too dark to cut through a mix. Brightening the piano track can improve it's clarity without increasing the volume.

ROG.

Veteran
Veteran
I also agree with Rharv about the piano being a mono instrument and Dan about there are no fixed rules.

In your bass, drums and piano example I would think about how they would be on stage and arrange my pans as such. I would put the drums dead center, the piano on the left and the bass on the right. I would not hard pan either but more like a little left and a little right. This is just how I would do it and others may have other suggestions.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Ed,

I'll add this to the most excellent advice you've already received...

For more control, try mixing the bass and drums as two separate tracks so you're mixing three instead of two (or four if you split the piano tracks).

In addition to mixing while listening at relatively low volume, listening in mono can be helpful in setting and checking levels. Also listen just outside your studio doorway. And be sure to listen on both speakers and headphones.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I would not normalize either track before mixing. If you max out one track, then you have no headroom for further processing. Once you get a final mix, then you may adjust the final stereo track if it isn't hot enough.
One tip I use to mix is to listen at a very low volume. If I can hear all the instruments, it will be good when louder. I also test the mix on lots of players, from good stereo systems to boomboxes to headphones to earbuds to cars etc.

IMO....
The above is what I would recommend.
The only time I've actually need to use normalizing is when I went all digital back in 2000 or so.
I had (24) R/R tapes full of finished originals spanning almost 20 years.
I have found no need to normalize since then because of the ease of getting good signal on basic tracks in the digital domain.

Regarding the BOLDED: when I listen at said very low volumes (my near fields being 27 year old Tascam S1010m) I focus on the bass line.
If i can barely hear the bass line, even if it sounds a frog hair lower in gain of the other instruments, this would be my first reference mix which I would then listen to at normal volume on my KRK 8 G2's.
If the bass is setting in the mix without being too loud then I would burn and test on all mediums noted above.

Having relatively good quality monitors (subjectively speaking) is very favorable plus but it's also a matter of knowing one's monitors over time in the mixing environment and how they translate.

Sorry for the novelette.

That's my take on it.....carry on.

Veteran
Veteran
Without hearing the track, any advice is just a guess.

the ear has to be the final judge..... but the ear of a piano player (especially the one who played the part) is going to have a different bias than the ear of a drummer or an engineer.

This is where you have to trust your own ears to be non-biased and wear the many hats required in mixing your own stuff......or post it where people whose ears and advice you trust can hear it to advise you on the mix.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Thanks, guys, I appreciate your thoughtful and insightful comments.

Ed

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199