Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I want to be able to record promo videos at home.I want to be able to use the audio from my mixer.
My plan is to use a Logitec HD web cam and a laptop with a high quality PCMCIA audio card.
What I now need is free video recording software that will let me choose the web cam as the video device and the soundcard as the audio record device. Then do some editting and finally dump it down to MPEG 2.
Software recommendations?
Thanks

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I can't help you out on the free software front, but can tell you that it is very important to find out if the webcam, software, computer and chosen format for the video results in good audio to video sync when it is a music performance video.

I can tell you that at this end, we gave up trying to do it with a computer solution for the actual recording and use one of those digital cameras that include a stereo mic on it that has jacks, I put together a simple set of resistive Y pads with ten-turn pot adjustment to enable jacking Line Inputs into those mini mic jacks on the camera. The camera is a JVC, middle of the line model, even here one has to check the actual camera for good sync'ing by itself before taking the plunge.

The extra expense over a webcam is worth it, the resolution is much better, the lens is very much better and I can get the digital video into the computer for editing, web publishing, burning of DVD, etc. using either the USB connect or memory card.

That sync issue was a real bummer and IMO attempts to get good demos without sync was time wasted.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The issue is you can't find cheap camcorders that have any input jacks anymore.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: silvertones
I want to be able to record promo videos at home.I want to be able to use the audio from my mixer.
My plan is to use a Logitec HD web cam and a laptop with a high quality PCMCIA audio card.
What I now need is free video recording software that will let me choose the web cam as the video device and the soundcard as the audio record device. Then do some editting and finally dump it down to MPEG 2.
Thanks

if you decide to go the webcam route, it will almost certainly come with a CD containing some kind of video capturing and editing software.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Thanks

if you decide to go the webcam route, it will almost certainly come with a CD containing some kind of video capturing and editing software.

Never thought of that.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The thing I'm trying to get straight before I by a webcam is this:
The webcam has built in mics however I don't want to use the mics so the software needs to let me choose the audio source and the video source separately.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You can mute the webcam mic in the software, no problem.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The webcam has built in mics however I don't want to use the mics so the software needs to let me choose the audio source and the video source separately.

John,
I think you'll find that most video editing software will let you completely replace the existing audio with audio of your choice. So, if you are recording yourself singing along with backing tracks, you should be able to replace the recorded audio with your studio version. The timing will be exact, you'll just have to slide it along the timeline until it synchs with your lips as you sing

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This video stuff is all new to me.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

And that is where I found the sync to go straight to hades...

Two completely different internal clocks. And it is difficult to impossible to get things to line up via editing, as the audio file may end up shorter all around than the video, or vice verse.

I'm trying to find an affordable digicam that will sync it up for you.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

I've just been playing around with VideoPad Editor from NCH software. From what I can see, it's free for home use. It's also relatively easy to use.

If you have a look at any of the songs in my signature, these were assembled using Open Shot Video Editor in Ubuntu. (I know you use Ubuntu and Open Shot is opensource freeware and a multitrack video editor).

I'm just passing this information along in case it's useful.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There's a whole host of freebie screen capture softwares that will allow you to capture specific programs and claim that they will allow you to choose the audio source.

I was unable to make this work with any of the following on my system, but all were recommended to me as being capable.

YouCam
Camtasia
CamStudio

I think the issue is that right now, I have to run my 32 bit DAW software as administrator, and the screen capture software was running native 64 bit on my Win7 Home Premium 64 system. None of the folks recommending these programs had that hoop to jump through.

I do think that Mac's answer is probably where you will see/hear the most joy. The problem arises from the fact that web cams also usually are USB 2.0 devices, and a high quality video data stream may not be even possible over USB.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
John,

I've just been playing around with VideoPad Editor from NCH software. From what I can see, it's free for home use. It's also relatively easy to use.

If you have a look at any of the songs in my signature, these were assembled using Open Shot Video Editor in Ubuntu. (I know you use Ubuntu and Open Shot is opensource freeware and a multitrack video editor).

I'm just passing this information along in case it's useful.

Regards,
Noel

I happen to have that app. It worked very easily. I dragged in a video that Pat made, muted it's audio, dragged in the good audio and voila. I just need to find the equivalent app for Windows now. Thw ubuntu machine is to old and slow.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
John:

Here is a guy who is using a flip camcorder and recording his audio into Reaper and then assembling them in Reaper.

He used a clap to sync his audio and video. I don't know how well this works but the youtube video is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZX06U51zA

You could possibly record your audio into RealBand or into something like a Zoom portable audio recorder and use the same technique to sync them in video software.

I've just started using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 for which I paid $79 but is available now for $29 - download at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Movie-Studio-...ny+movie+studio

Movie Studio Platinum 12 has some requirements of the video card which you would want to check out
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope

Just some ideas. Not totally free, but fairly inexpensive.

John

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,
Depending on which version of windows you have, you might already have windows movie maker. It can do what you want.

The more recent versions don't come with that app anymore, so here's a link to CNET's DOWNLOAD.COM search results for "VIDEO EDITOR"

search cnet for video editors

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
John,
Depending on which version of windows you have, you might already have windows movie maker. It can do what you want.

The more recent versions don't come with that app anymore, so here's a link to CNET's DOWNLOAD.COM search results for "VIDEO EDITOR"

search cnet for video editors

There is still a movie maker app for Win 7. It's called Windows Live Movie Maker and I can't remember if I downloaded it, or if it's squirreled away somewhere and you have to 'discover' it.

MS says that it's part of a freeware package called Windows Essentials. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/movie-maker

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
MovieMaker now requires a MS Live/Essentials routine, and usually a download .. although it does come pre-installed on a few systems.

There is rumor that you can download the older WMM without needing the new Live version; as quite a few people prefer the older version over the newer one.
Imagine that. Consumers not liking the new 'improved' MS product.<grin>
The older one actually has more features.

Last edited by rharv; 09/08/13 06:57 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So I purchased the Logitech HD 615C high def Webcam.It's a 1080p and the audio comes from the mixer headphone jack into my A2ZSNB sound card with the special Lex Nahumury drivers that he built just for me.
The Webcam also comes with capturing software as well. Set the video as 615C and the audio dropdown to the A2ZSNB.
The sound and video quality is fantastic this way.
BTW I use a separate computer as the video/audio capturing device.
I'm very please. Next test will be tonight when it gets dark. All the interior lights off.Will then see how the video records with just my stage lights.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
next cool trick:
if you put a background of a single solid color (hang a blanket or tarp or something) then you can replace the solid color with scenes from other videos or photos.

Find a video of the stage at the grand ol' opry and you can superimpose your video right onto the stage

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
next cool trick:
if you put a background of a single solid color (hang a blanket or tarp or something) then you can replace the solid color with scenes from other videos or photos.

Find a video of the stage at the grand ol' opry and you can superimpose your video right onto the stage

You're reading my mind but how would I do that.Get the picture on the blanket.I want to redo my video demos that you did and this time have a background,maybe outside at night,that will really show off the lights and I'll even wear some sort of costume.And of course having the line in audio is awesome.
BTW Video Pad is far superior to the capture prog that came with the camera so I'm now using it.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199