Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi
I hope someone can help me.
I bought a new computer equiped with Intel core i7 an running on win 7

I was with XP pro before

The problem is that I can'nt get my sound card SB audigy 2zs working.
The card plays wav and mid but I can't install the software that goes with it. I downloaded creative media source for win 7 but It don't work.
So I've got the sound card but I have no control on the mixer to set what I want to record. I open Real band and it plays ok what I Have previously recorded but if I want to record a new track through the line or midi, or wav, there's no way I can instruct the card to record my preference.

I don't know if my description is ok but all I can say is that I can't do any recordings because I can't manage the sound card recording inputs. Can't install the necessary software.

I'd like to know from someone if it would be better for me to change my sound card and suggestions.

Thks to all

Réjean

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you are trying to install drivers and software for the Audigy 2ZS using the original disk that came with the card, it won't work on the later Win7 operating system.

The 2ZS is a discontinued product, Creative website lists it as "end of service life" BUT, they have published drivers for Win7 on their Support page. Download and try installing them as per their directions.

http://support.creative.com/downloads/?h=7

That's a hotlink direct to the drivers.

Be advised that there likely won't be any more drivers issued for this card, nor much in the way of support available.

So even if you can install drivers and get it working for now, might be a good idea to start thinking about a replacement sound device that is more up to date.

--Mac

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you

I tried about all the updates including the one you suggested but I can't install them.

I think I might be better changing my sound card

Do you have any suggestion for a good sound card that could work on win 7

Réjean

Veteran
Veteran
I had the same thing happen many years ago. I had a sweet Midiman D PCI card that worked great with cakewalk software...on Win 95 but the next OS came out and I needed to upgrade the OS for some business software that had to run on that same computer and the PCI card stopped working.

Same deal, the company was not writing new drivers for the new OS. I ended up getting out of recording music on my computer for several years as a result. About 6 years ago I got back in with all new gear.

I would move away from the Sound Blaster product line and look at a dedicated sound card/interface based on USB and ASIO drivers. SB is ok for some things but recording is not it's strongest suit.

I hate the computer software industry. Each time they come out with a new version.... Windows 8 for example, there is always the doubt as to what will continue to work and what has now just stopped working?

I built a computer for my studio about 4 years back and made the decision to run XP/32 Pro. I know that as time goes on I'll be more and more limited by the software coming out as they shift away from 32 bit compatibility but that was a decision I made. My thoughts: Get and maintain a working studio. As long as it serves my purposes, let it roll. When it breaks and is not repairable, we'll have a look at a major upgrade at that time.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/11/13 05:26 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Between using the stock Windows mixer settings and the software settings for the DAW software, you should be able to make this work .. but things would be much better with a newer soundcard.

You mentioned Realband. If you go to Options-Preferences-Audio Tab then click the Drivers button, there's a good chance you'll see options for the SB card. Select it on the input side, make sure it is the only one selected, select Move Selected Device to Top to make it the default recording input for RB, then 'OK' out of there and try to record.

In my experience the SB cards work OK in Win 7 using Win Drivers, just not worth fighting with the Creative Drivers.
Sometimes it's better to disable the native card and make the SB the Windows default card.

Last edited by rharv; 09/11/13 04:27 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
See if there are kx project drivers for win7 and your card. Silvertones here is an expert.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Audigy 2 zs is available for wn7. http://kxproject.com/faq.php?language=en#cards
These drivers rock but you do have to put in a little effort to unleash the potential. Mixer applet is not too hard but wait until you see what is possible with the card. Creative hid most of its function from users

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Audigy 2 zs is available for wn7. http://kxproject.com/faq.php?language=en#cards
These drivers rock but you do have to put in a little effort to unleash the potential. Mixer applet is not too hard but wait until you see what is possible with the card. Creative hid most of its function from users

Yes KX will work fine with that card in Win 7. I Use an A2ZSNB card in mine. BUT it is very difficult if you're not a techie.Now the surprise. I'm very friendly with Lex Nahumury.I hael him do a lot of testing of his drivers. He's been the guy that wrote the code to make KX more musician friendly. Eugene was the original developer of KX.
LEX wrote a set of drivers just for me for my A2ZSNB card.Nothing fancy. Just a pair of inputs show up and 4 pairs of outputs. No interface mixer or anything. Let me ask him if they will work with your PCI card and if I can give them to you. BTW the Win 7 version is ASIO only but on that computer should be fine.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
PS
I still have a Creative Live 5.1 card installed in my music computer with KX so if you go that route I can help.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have a setup which is very simple for KX with an SB Live card as well on this desktop that I'm using to type this. I bypassed all of the internal effects capability as I preferred to do that in the DAW software.

The user forums at KX or some other location (it was a LOONG time ago) helped me figure out how to make the setup much simpler on the KX DSP screen to make it work like I wanted. I don't know if my .kx files would work for an Audigy model or not.

-Scott

Veteran
Veteran
The most important thing NOT to do with KX is try and use the default DSP setup. If you decide to try KX I'll link you to a tutorial by my friend Lex that explains the whole thing in easy to use musician terms.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Veteran
Veteran
Looks like KX is your only option.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, there are many good selections to be made from new sound devices these days.

Veteran
Veteran
Rejean,

I had an XP Pro PC with an Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro which I loved for its hardware synths and associated utilities. When I built a new machine which had Win 7 I found that I was unable to use the SoundBlaster or any of the utilities.

What I have done is to keep the older machine for certain audio processing (impulse noise reduction from records, for instance, which one of the SB apps does a fair job with) and got a new sound card for the Win 7 box.

It is a Presonus AudioBox USB, a simple 2 x 2 audio/MIDI interface with sample rates up to 24 bits/48 kHz, which is all I need at present. It has separate front-panel volume controls for speakers and headphones, which I like very much. It is available new for $149 USD through Musician's Friend and elsewhere.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Richard,

Did you ever try using the KX drivers? I had great success using them in WinXP on my Live Platinum card with Live Drive.

Veteran
Veteran
I could show the OP how to setup a very basic KX DSP.At no cost but we haven't heard back from her.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
John, Same here - my DSP map in my KX is really 'clean'.

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thks to all
After trying almost everything, nothing to do with my audigy 2zs so I ordered a new card m-audio audiophile 192
which is supposed to work well with win 7.

I should receive it shortly.

I just did the same thing for the same reason....I quickly found out that M audio will freak at any other internal windows things going on....for instance if your power settings are on anything but full power, sleep mode turned totally off... you'll get awful noises coming out of this thing.
Now I'm dealing with the fact that if I have the soundcard set to asio...BB doesn't see my usb microphone. It will work in the default mode but not in asio, which sounds so much better to me.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: tami

Now I'm dealing with the fact that if I have the soundcard set to asio...BB doesn't see my usb microphone. It will work in the default mode but not in asio, which sounds so much better to me.

Try going to BB's Audio Settings, ASIO, locate the "ASIO Always On" setting and UNcheck it. Reboot and see if you can now use your USB mic alongside the M-Audio.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,533
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200