Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have a Takamine electric acoustic guitar - EF349. (Built on Sunday 10/10/82. 23rd guitar made that day. LOL!) It's mahagony and is still beautiful after all these years. I bought it new. It's been a great feeling and sounding guitar. It has the plastic brown three sliders - treble, bass, gain on the top. I used to play and record with it a lot but I have rarely played it in years. Today I decided to plug it in the Emu interface with the signal going to Realband and no sound.

The problem is that the preamp which is battery powered has stopped working. You loosen the strings to get your hand through the hole and there's a little brown box that snaps out which holds the battery. Changed batteries, tried different cords, cleaned contacts with contact cleaner - dead as a door nail.

I'll keep it regardless, sentimental value...

Any ideas what's wrong? Is this an expensive repair? Should I even bother trying to get it repaired? Are there other options besides the built in preamp?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your advice and help.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie,

Have you plugged the guitar into an amp to verify that it isn't working?

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob,

I don't have a guitar amp to test it on, I plugged it into my Emu interface which I know works.

Thanks.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie.

Bob's right. Even if the Emu works with the mic input, there could still be a problem with the guitar input. Two ways to check it -

1) Try another guitar into the Emu.

2) Plug one end of a guitar lead into the Emu, give it a bit of gain and stick your thumb over the tip of the jack plug on the other end. If it buzzes you've got a connection. (I'm not sure that Mac is going to like this method!)

Let us know how you get on.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
1. does it have a tuner?Does it work?
2. did you put the battery in the right way
3. did it work when you put it away last?

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A replacement, if it it the pre, should not cost to much and you can probably DIY. Most likely a Fishman

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
When my Fishman died on my Larrivée, I took out the barn door electronics and now I have one of those fancy sound holes on the side of the guitar. Replaced it with a K+K and it sounds much better. Also check out the easy tI install LR baggs stuff.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Today I decided to plug it in the Emu interface with the signal going to Realband and no sound.

Did you have another known good guitar cable to try? Cables are the thing that stops the show more than anything else, always suspect a bad cable first when there is no sound.

Quote:
The problem is that the preamp which is battery powered has stopped working.

I haven't heard enough evidence yet to support that conclusion.

Unless and until you've tried another cable -- and another input source, such as an amp, this problem could be due to either the cable being broken, or the EMU, which may be broken, not set correctly for the input, or, since it is a software driven soundcard, there could be corrupted software, drivers, whatever.

Quote:
Any ideas what's wrong? Is this an expensive repair? Should I even bother trying to get it repaired? Are there other options besides the built in preamp?

Your best option might be to take the guitar AND the cable to a local guitar shop. There, you can try your preamp with other cables, other amps and find out what's going on first.

Preamp can be repaired, can even be replaced. But first find out if that is what is broken.

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Josie.

2) Plug one end of a guitar lead into the Emu, give it a bit of gain and stick your thumb over the tip of the jack plug on the other end. If it buzzes you've got a connection. (I'm not sure that Mac is going to like this method!)

And why not? Buzzin' the cable is the fastest way to find out what's happenin' - or not.

I might add that after getting a buzz from the center contact at the TIP, I then cover both tip and sleeve with the one hand, effectively shorting the input out with the resistance of my hand, and see if the buzz quiets a bit then. That checks the shield connection as well.

Buzzin' the input of an audio amp is a time-honored method of signal injection.

Just don't be a noob and turn the Volume up all the way because you don't hear anything when the Volume is in its normal position. That's asking for damage somewhere and is a useless thing to do when the sound stops altogether. Like flooring the gas in the broken automobile, it won't fix anything and can likely hurt things worse.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The cable passed the buzz check.

I'll take it to the music store sometime this week and see what they say.
I would like to know what's wrong. If it's expensive to fix. Maybe, I'll play it as is and mic it if need be.

I had to stop playing guitar because of joint pain and carpel tunnel problems. From time to time the spirit gets willing but in past attempts the body has tended to revolt so I don't want to spend much money on it without knowing I can hang with it.

It's a shame it quit working right. It's one of the real lawsuit guitars made in Japan that's somewhat of a collector's item now. I always loved it's sound.

Thank each of you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I'll take it to the music store sometime this week and see what they say.
I would like to know what's wrong. If it's expensive to fix. Maybe, I'll play it as is and mic it if need be.

Taking it to the music store is a good idea, but before I’d “see what they say”, I’d just take the guitar in and ask to try out an amp and they’ll supply the guitar cord automatically. If it doesn’t work, they’ll start trying to figure out why! wink

Then take it from there. I’d suspect the EMU before the preamp.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
And, treat whatever they tell you exactly like we should treat a medical opinion.

Get a second opinion before making any decisions regarding repair.

Often is the case that the ones I get in are something very simple, like the battery connects get broken or corroded from sitting, an easy repair for the competent tech and should not cost very much either.

If they start talking about more expensive possibilities, be polite, tell them you have to wait to afford that, and take the guitar to that second opinion place. If both tell you the exact same thing after troubleshooting, at least you will have confirmed the situation and can make a better decision about what to do from there.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Good idea Bob, I will try but I am the worst poker face in the world - I hope they won't see me coming a mile off. LOL!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mac, I'll for sure get a second opinion there's another music store that carries Takamine in a town not too far from here.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW, an acoustic player I jam with had his Ovation preamp die. A guitar tech indicated the cost to be around $300 as it was a proprietary device. I showed him my $12 Signal Flex SF-20

This is the same pickup I mentioned to Eddie in this thread, http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=211338#Post211338

A few other members showed interest in this. I have had great success with mine. I hope the other members also have good success.

Good luck.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you're even close to being handy with some hand tools, a replacement can possibly be found on Amazon or Ebay for a few bucks.

As someone said above... it might even sound better.

I shop Amazon all the time.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195