Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
OP Offline
Firstly, a really BIG hello from me from the UK. After listening to numerous demo BB tracks, I have just bought the EverythingPak on the external hard drive (received a week ago) and am starting to work through the manual (whoohoo). So I'm delighted to join the community on this Forum.

Please can I have help with my first problem.

I have had a play and made my first test tune in BB and have loaded it into RealBand - it consists of 5 Audio tracks and 1 Midi track (the melody). I then right click on the Midi Track (as I want to patch in a string section) and go to Specific Vsti/Dxi synth for midi tracks and the drop down list appears of all my plug-ins. However, when I click on Cakewalk's Dimension Pro or Rapture on my list I get the error message "Sorry, real band cannot make the connection". Also, I CAN patch in SampleTank but think this is the cutdown version that comes in the BB package and not the SampleTank 2 XL full version that I also own.

Alternatively, I could use my Sonar X2 to patch in plugin sounds BUT I can't see a way of exporting the RealBand song into a multi-track format that would load correctly into my SONAR X2.

So at the moment I have a half finished song - I would really appreciate some pearls of wisdom from fellow members.

Many thanks in advance

Malcolm F Hill - writer and producer of beautifully relaxing ambient instrumental music.
Veteran
Veteran
On your MIDI track in RB, click the little arrow on the left and select Edit DX
then select your synth of choice in the top slot (this is important).
The top slot is for the synth, the next three are for effects if desired.

Another route is to go to Options-Preferences-MIDI Devices and find the checkbox for 'reroute all MIDI to DXi synth' and then select your synth there. This will cause all MIDI tracks to use that synth as the default.

To get tracks to Sonar; click the little DAW icon at top to run RB in DAW mode, then you can load the tracks into a little spot that will allow drag/drop to sonar, or use the Render Audio/DXi button at top to export the tracks to separate files and then import them to Sonar.

Welcome to the Forum

Last edited by rharv; 09/14/13 04:56 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
OP Offline
Many thanks rharv - using your suggested methods, I have now managed to get all the tracks into my Sonar X2 DAW.

One strange thing though - the one MIDI track (the melody) now plays faster and finishes earlier in Sonar and therefore is not in sync with the 5 Audio tracks which ARE in sync. I would have thought that dragging and dropping a track should copy across an exact replica! Any help gratefully accepted.

Thanks again, Malcolm

Malcolm F Hill - writer and producer of beautifully relaxing ambient instrumental music.
Veteran
Veteran
RB tempo should match Sonar tempo.

OP Offline
Thanks again, rharv - I've now managed to get all the tracks working perfectly in sync in Sonar and it sounds amazing.

I've only been using BB and RB now for a few days but the software looks and sounds phenomenal. I really feel just like a young boy in a sweet shop - so many goodies and so much to choose from - even though I am over 60! Looking forward to discovering even more on my BB journey over the coming months etc. Will post my creations when totally finished.

Regards, Malcolm

Veteran
Veteran
I work in a similar but perhaps slightly different manner.

I use BB, RB, and Sonar X1 in this manner.

I write and compose the music and lyrics in BB. I make sure I have the song exactly as I want it,,,, intro, structure and ending.

Close and save the song in Band in a Box.

Open Real Band and load the song from BB. It renders all the existing tracks as real tracks. I listen and evaluate if I like them or not. If yes, I export them track by track into a folder I set up for this song project on the desktop screen. If I don't like them, I select a new track (highlight it) and choose the appropriate track and render it.

I will render as many times as is needed to get the correct Real Track playing the part the way I need it played.

I also will render the "other" instruments such as steel, fiddle, dobro and whatever else I need.

I export all the tracks from RB to the folder. I also am sure to keep the BPM the same in BB/RB, and as I move to Sonar, the first thing I do is set the BPM to match.

I open X1 and after setting up the format of the project, I begin to import the tracks into Sonar audio tracks. Once there, I save it and then begin the editing and mastering process and this is where I add my own guitar tracks, mandolin tracks, and vocal tracks.

This method seems to work the best for me and I use it on all the songs on my music site.

NOTE: there is no single "right way" or "wrong way" to work with this software. Develop the method you like best, and use it consistently. Because, no matter which way you get there, if you use the same methods you will begin to learn the nuances and produce CONSISTENT results. The goal is to have each song sound good and as if it came from the same studio in the same year.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/16/13 04:59 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I begin to import the tracks into Sonar audio tracks. Once there, I save it and then begin the editing and mastering process and this is where I add my own guitar tracks, mandolin tracks, and vocal tracks

In my experience, I find it's better to stay in RB a little longer.
If you can start recording your new personal tracks in RB it leaves the option open to change a Realtrack or two, or even extend the song and regenerate where needed. This flexibility comes in handy sometimes.
I only move out of RB once I see a reason to. But I tend to stay there longer in the situation you described. Recording new tracks alongside Realtracks has not been an issue here.

Veteran
Veteran
I normally audition the tracks in RB, to see if they are close enough for rock and roll....

If I get them into X1 (Sonar) and play them and don't like them, or they are not quite right, I will not hesitate to delete them and return to RB and render another track with the same RT or perhaps select a different RT to try.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195