Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#215357 - 09/18/13 06:18 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone?
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Loc: Scotland
I have the latest version of Band In a Box.
I can use it as a backing for my guitar.

I have just acquired an Alto Saxophone and had it checked out by a repairer and it is good to go.

Where do I start with baby steps in Band in a Box?

I have a little (and I mean a little) idea of reading music.
I used to play the piano when I was a kid but that was a long time ago.
I could WILL pick up the notation again.

All help gratefully welcome.

George

#215366 - 09/18/13 08:17 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
First, you will need a sax method book with fingering chart and setup tips.

To play along with BIAB, you will need to transpose everything down a minor third because a sax is a transposing instrument (alto sax is pitched in Eb). BIAB has a setting to do this easily. I'm not at a BIAB computer now, but it's something like Opt., Preferences, Notation and then select Alto Sax in the pull-down menu. Don't forget to set it back to Concert pitch to play along with your guitar.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#215368 - 09/18/13 08:55 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I have been doing exactly what you want to do with my EWI-USB wind controller. Although I can read music and did play trumpet the wind controller trumpet fingerings and playing techniques are quite different than a real trumpet.

What I did was to purchase a couple of Norton’s fake book disks to the fake books I had. That way I just brought up a song from the disk and played along with the book. This saves a lot of time, as you do not have to put the chords in yourself. Plus you can start with slow songs and work you way up to faster one. I am not at the faster ones yet! If you go this route be sure to buy a fake book in Eb.

Good luck and have fun.

(edit) An after thought: The absolute best way to get started on the alto sax is to find a good instructor. That way you will learn the correct playing techniques from the git-go. It is much harder to correct bad techniques than it is to learn them correctly right from the start.

Edited by MarioD (09/18/13 09:00 AM)

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#215372 - 09/18/13 10:00 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
George, if you are at all serious about the endeavor, I heartily recommend that you also find a good teacher and invest the time and small amount of money required in order to get the basics of fingering, breath control, embouchure etc. correct the first time, which will eliminate the kind of bad habits that can happen when we don't know that which we don't know.

It is usually far more difficult to break a bad habit than it is to get started off on the riht foot in the first place.

Along with those lessons, of course Band in a Box represents a great addition to any practice regimen and it too, can be used to get there much faster, provided that you get those all-important basic things from that teacher as you work with the sax.

Because one of the biggest keys to success is efficiency when the subject is musical instrument practice.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#215390 - 09/18/13 03:39 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Matt Finley]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Matt,
Quote:
First, you will need a sax method book with fingering chart and setup tips.

Can you give me any idea about which book?

As to BIAB I use the Bb>C Icon to transpose.

George

#215391 - 09/18/13 03:45 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: MarioD]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi MarioD,

Which songs or tunes did you start with?

I will use the many many song and tunes I already have for BIAB.

As to finding a good instructor - I am drawing a blank so far.
As I live in a rural area they are as hard to find as hen's teeth.

I have contacted the music schools in my area but they don't do private tuition.

George

#215392 - 09/18/13 03:51 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Mac]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Mac,

I am deadly serious about learning the Alto Saxophone.
I understand that to practice and practice - if you have not been taught the rudiments - only reinforces the bad habits.

I am having a hard time sourcing a teacher, but will not give up.

Quote:
Because one of the biggest keys to success is efficiency when the subject is musical instrument practice.

I wholeheartedly agree.

George

#215394 - 09/18/13 04:14 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Try contacting the local school systems and ask for Band Director. If they can't do the lessons themselves, likely one or more of them can give you a lead on who can.

There also may be online or computer-based courses available as well, a quick Bing search brought this site up, rudimentary, but there are likely good sites and such online for just about every level these days.

http://www.saxophone-players.com/learn-to-play-saxophone.html

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#215407 - 09/18/13 07:08 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: George Nelson
Hi MarioD,

Which songs or tunes did you start with?

I will use the many many song and tunes I already have for BIAB.

As to finding a good instructor - I am drawing a blank so far.
As I live in a rural area they are as hard to find as hen's teeth.

I have contacted the music schools in my area but they don't do private tuition.

George

Hi George,

I don’t remember the names of the songs but start with something simple like the Beatles "Nowhere Man". In other words start with songs that use mostly all quarter, half and whole notes or in your talk crotchet, minim and semibreve notes. Thank God for the Internet wink

You might also google/bing major scales for the alto sax or as Mac has indicated search for instructional material for the alto sax.

As Mac said check with local high schools and see if the music teacher teaches privately, here in upper western New York state that is quite common. If he doesn’t tutor then maybe one of his high school alto players may be able to teach you the basics.

Good luck.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#215422 - 09/18/13 10:19 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Veteran

There are plenty of fingering charts on the Internet, but here is one: http://www.lightandmatter.com/music/saxfingeringsbasic.pdf

You will want to find a teacher and a method book to help make sense of this. Good luck!
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#215430 - 09/19/13 04:28 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Mac]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Mac,

Thank you for your help.
The link you supplied was very helpful.

No joy with finding a local tutor at present.

I will try the internet.

I have had some success at making a toot wink on my sax.

Bought some Vandoren reeds and purchased a Yamaha Mouthpiece.

I was surprised at how easy it was to use the Yamaha mouthpiece as opposed to the student mouthpiece ( no name ).

George

#215431 - 09/19/13 04:35 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: MarioD]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi MarioD,

Quote:
I don’t remember the names of the songs but start with something simple like the Beatles "Nowhere Man". In other words start with songs that use mostly all quarter, half and whole notes or in your talk crotchet, minim and semibreve notes. Thank God for the Internet wink

Thanks for the info you provided. I will start with baby steps and then try to increase my knowledge by practicing hard.

Quote:
You might also google/bing major scales for the alto sax or as Mac has indicated search for instructional material for the alto sax.

I have done that and there are oodles and oodles of Sax sites smile

George

#215432 - 09/19/13 04:42 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Matt Finley]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Matt,

Thank you for finding that finger chart.
I have also downloaded many others and feel that they will help.

As I have said there are no local teachers available.

I have heard there is a jazz group (with Sax players) that play in a social club relatively close to me (around 30 miles) so I will visit and ask them if they know anyone who might help.

George

Edited by George Nelson (09/19/13 04:43 AM)

#215436 - 09/19/13 07:48 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Veteran

That is sounding more promising.

Which Yamaha mouthpiece? 4?

#215448 - 09/19/13 10:23 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: George Nelson

Bought some Vandoren reeds and purchased a Yamaha Mouthpiece.

I was surprised at how easy it was to use the Yamaha mouthpiece as opposed to the student mouthpiece ( no name ).

Don't be hasty to judge the original mothpiece as being inferior, it was likely designed to fit the embouchure of a preteen through teen mouth. And for them, it may be an easier blow than your new Yammny mouthpiece, which may be easier for you to obtain sound with simply because the Yammy better suits the size and shape of your embouchure. We ain't no spring chickens anymore, George me laddy...

so don't throw the old mouthpiece out.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#215464 - 09/19/13 12:14 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Veteran

The Yamaha 4C is their student mouthpiece. It's an excellent place to start.

#215466 - 09/19/13 12:45 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Matt Finley]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Matt,

Yamaha 4C

George

Whoops Matt beat me to it.

Edited by George Nelson (09/19/13 12:48 PM)

#215468 - 09/19/13 12:47 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Mac]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Mac,

Don't you know I'm Scottish.... throw away just doesn't compute wink

George

#215574 - 09/20/13 12:35 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

To answer your original question, no. Nothing can teach you how to play. It can give you music to play along with, but only you and practice will teach you how to play.

No shortcuts available to learn a skill. You can't learn to weld by watching welders do their craft. You can't learn to cook by watching cooking shows. You can't learn to use a router from watching woodworkers. You need to burn a lot of metal, ruin a lot of wood, and make some really bad food on your way to learning. In this case, you will make a lot of squeaks.

A good teacher will show you basic fingering and give you some scales to play that will build your speed and muscle memory. I did a lot of Hanon scales on my sax, just like I did on piano and guitar. Mainly it's about investing time and repetition.

#215635 - 09/21/13 06:01 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: eddie1261]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Eddie1261,

Quote:
To answer your original question, no. Nothing can teach you how to play. It can give you music to play along with, but only you and practice will teach you how to play.

Yes I hear what you are saying. Perhaps the original question should have read " Can BIAB help when I am learning the Saxophone".

Quote:
No shortcuts available to learn a skill. You can't learn to weld by watching welders do their craft. You can't learn to cook by watching cooking shows. You can't learn to use a router from watching woodworkers. You need to burn a lot of metal, ruin a lot of wood, and make some really bad food on your way to learning. In this case, you will make a lot of squeaks.

How right you are. At the moment all I am trying to do is use the mouthpiece and the neck to make a consistent tone ( I believe it should be a G# ) but as you say I am making lots of squeaks cry

Quote:
A good teacher will show you basic fingering and give you some scales to play that will build your speed and muscle memory. I did a lot of Hanon scales on my sax, just like I did on piano and guitar. Mainly it's about investing time and repetition.

Wow! I remember now that that was how I was taught when I was a kid. Never knew how useful they would be.

Thanks

George

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Happy National Techies Day!

Happy National Techies Day to all our program users! And, a special thanks / shout-out to all of our BETA testers - you're a big part of our Band-in-a-Box program!

Forum Stats
28066 Members
57 Forums
54389 Topics
449504 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC, Mallie Riecken, Tim Radel

28066 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 151