Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#215357 - 09/18/13 06:18 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone?
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Loc: Scotland
I have the latest version of Band In a Box.
I can use it as a backing for my guitar.

I have just acquired an Alto Saxophone and had it checked out by a repairer and it is good to go.

Where do I start with baby steps in Band in a Box?

I have a little (and I mean a little) idea of reading music.
I used to play the piano when I was a kid but that was a long time ago.
I could WILL pick up the notation again.

All help gratefully welcome.

George

#215366 - 09/18/13 08:17 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
First, you will need a sax method book with fingering chart and setup tips.

To play along with BIAB, you will need to transpose everything down a minor third because a sax is a transposing instrument (alto sax is pitched in Eb). BIAB has a setting to do this easily. I'm not at a BIAB computer now, but it's something like Opt., Preferences, Notation and then select Alto Sax in the pull-down menu. Don't forget to set it back to Concert pitch to play along with your guitar.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#215368 - 09/18/13 08:55 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I have been doing exactly what you want to do with my EWI-USB wind controller. Although I can read music and did play trumpet the wind controller trumpet fingerings and playing techniques are quite different than a real trumpet.

What I did was to purchase a couple of Norton’s fake book disks to the fake books I had. That way I just brought up a song from the disk and played along with the book. This saves a lot of time, as you do not have to put the chords in yourself. Plus you can start with slow songs and work you way up to faster one. I am not at the faster ones yet! If you go this route be sure to buy a fake book in Eb.

Good luck and have fun.

(edit) An after thought: The absolute best way to get started on the alto sax is to find a good instructor. That way you will learn the correct playing techniques from the git-go. It is much harder to correct bad techniques than it is to learn them correctly right from the start.

Edited by MarioD (09/18/13 09:00 AM)

64 bit Win 10 Pro - 2017 BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#215372 - 09/18/13 10:00 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
George, if you are at all serious about the endeavor, I heartily recommend that you also find a good teacher and invest the time and small amount of money required in order to get the basics of fingering, breath control, embouchure etc. correct the first time, which will eliminate the kind of bad habits that can happen when we don't know that which we don't know.

It is usually far more difficult to break a bad habit than it is to get started off on the riht foot in the first place.

Along with those lessons, of course Band in a Box represents a great addition to any practice regimen and it too, can be used to get there much faster, provided that you get those all-important basic things from that teacher as you work with the sax.

Because one of the biggest keys to success is efficiency when the subject is musical instrument practice.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#215390 - 09/18/13 03:39 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Matt Finley]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Matt,
Quote:
First, you will need a sax method book with fingering chart and setup tips.

Can you give me any idea about which book?

As to BIAB I use the Bb>C Icon to transpose.

George

#215391 - 09/18/13 03:45 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: MarioD]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi MarioD,

Which songs or tunes did you start with?

I will use the many many song and tunes I already have for BIAB.

As to finding a good instructor - I am drawing a blank so far.
As I live in a rural area they are as hard to find as hen's teeth.

I have contacted the music schools in my area but they don't do private tuition.

George

#215392 - 09/18/13 03:51 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Mac]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Mac,

I am deadly serious about learning the Alto Saxophone.
I understand that to practice and practice - if you have not been taught the rudiments - only reinforces the bad habits.

I am having a hard time sourcing a teacher, but will not give up.

Quote:
Because one of the biggest keys to success is efficiency when the subject is musical instrument practice.

I wholeheartedly agree.

George

#215394 - 09/18/13 04:14 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Try contacting the local school systems and ask for Band Director. If they can't do the lessons themselves, likely one or more of them can give you a lead on who can.

There also may be online or computer-based courses available as well, a quick Bing search brought this site up, rudimentary, but there are likely good sites and such online for just about every level these days.

http://www.saxophone-players.com/learn-to-play-saxophone.html

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#215407 - 09/18/13 07:08 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: George Nelson
Hi MarioD,

Which songs or tunes did you start with?

I will use the many many song and tunes I already have for BIAB.

As to finding a good instructor - I am drawing a blank so far.
As I live in a rural area they are as hard to find as hen's teeth.

I have contacted the music schools in my area but they don't do private tuition.

George

Hi George,

I don’t remember the names of the songs but start with something simple like the Beatles "Nowhere Man". In other words start with songs that use mostly all quarter, half and whole notes or in your talk crotchet, minim and semibreve notes. Thank God for the Internet wink

You might also google/bing major scales for the alto sax or as Mac has indicated search for instructional material for the alto sax.

As Mac said check with local high schools and see if the music teacher teaches privately, here in upper western New York state that is quite common. If he doesn’t tutor then maybe one of his high school alto players may be able to teach you the basics.

Good luck.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - 2017 BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#215422 - 09/18/13 10:19 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Veteran

There are plenty of fingering charts on the Internet, but here is one: http://www.lightandmatter.com/music/saxfingeringsbasic.pdf

You will want to find a teacher and a method book to help make sense of this. Good luck!
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#215430 - 09/19/13 04:28 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Mac]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Mac,

Thank you for your help.
The link you supplied was very helpful.

No joy with finding a local tutor at present.

I will try the internet.

I have had some success at making a toot wink on my sax.

Bought some Vandoren reeds and purchased a Yamaha Mouthpiece.

I was surprised at how easy it was to use the Yamaha mouthpiece as opposed to the student mouthpiece ( no name ).

George

#215431 - 09/19/13 04:35 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: MarioD]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi MarioD,

Quote:
I don’t remember the names of the songs but start with something simple like the Beatles "Nowhere Man". In other words start with songs that use mostly all quarter, half and whole notes or in your talk crotchet, minim and semibreve notes. Thank God for the Internet wink

Thanks for the info you provided. I will start with baby steps and then try to increase my knowledge by practicing hard.

Quote:
You might also google/bing major scales for the alto sax or as Mac has indicated search for instructional material for the alto sax.

I have done that and there are oodles and oodles of Sax sites smile

George

#215432 - 09/19/13 04:42 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: Matt Finley]
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Hi Matt,

Thank you for finding that finger chart.
I have also downloaded many others and feel that they will help.

As I have said there are no local teachers available.

I have heard there is a jazz group (with Sax players) that play in a social club relatively close to me (around 30 miles) so I will visit and ask them if they know anyone who might help.

George

Edited by George Nelson (09/19/13 04:43 AM)

#215436 - 09/19/13 07:48 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Veteran

That is sounding more promising.

Which Yamaha mouthpiece? 4?

#215448 - 09/19/13 10:23 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Can BIAB Teach Me Alto Saxophone? [Re: George Nelson]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: George Nelson

Bought some Vandoren reeds and purchased a Yamaha Mouthpiece.

I was surprised at how easy it was to use the Yamaha mouthpiece as opposed to the student mouthpiece ( no name ).

Don't be hasty to judge the original mothpiece as being inferior, it was likely designed to fit the embouchure of a preteen through teen mouth. And for them, it may be an easier blow than your new Yammny mouthpiece, which may be easier for you to obtain sound with simply because the Yammy better suits the size and shape of your embouchure. We ain't no spring chickens anymore, George me laddy...

so don't throw the old mouthpiece out.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Forum Stats
26964 Members
49 Forums
49703 Topics
406853 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Kare Synnes, DrPersson, kenastill, Maulanarajatkhan, John Ashton

26963 Registered Users