Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sounds reasonable Gary, but it also sounds to me like the AGP NVIDIA card is not installed. If he reinstalls it using the latest NVIDIA Geforce driver software package for that card from

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

he may be able to get the card nailed down better. This board and bios may be so old though that the bios itself may need a flash update of the bios to be able to even recognize an AGP type card in the first place. If it's an AWARD bios he can get that at the Award web site. I think he's still got the bios divvying up ram for the on board video chip, and that Mac is trying to get him to reset the bios to either not allocate any ram to the video chip or turn it off. In any event you'd probably agree that his system would be better off without the CPU and RAM doing any video processing when all that could be done by the GeForce AGP card, right?

DrDuBose
"Gettin' a life."

music at
http://www.bandmix.com/drdubose
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Do what Gary says above and then also DrDuBose except....

I wouldn't install the latest Nvidia drivers for your card (did you post the model somewhere) if it's less than a series 8 because the new drivers load Physx which you don't need and can't use.

Good drivers before Physx are 169.21 and 175.16. Note that with Nvidia the best driver is the one that works for your computer AND software and not necessarily the newest one.

A good program to sweep out your old drivers is DriverSweeper. It can find your motherboard drivers and remove them as well. Be alert!

Here's a link. DriverSweeper

Remember to backup your system at intervals when changing out drivers. That alone will save you days worth of work if a driver doesn't work out well.

DTuna
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Sounds reasonable Gary, but it also sounds to me like the AGP NVIDIA card is not installed. If he reinstalls it using the latest NVIDIA Geforce driver software package for that card from

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

he may be able to get the card nailed down better. This board and bios may be so old though that the bios itself may need a flash update of the bios to be able to even recognize an AGP type card in the first place. If it's an AWARD bios he can get that at the Award web site. I think he's still got the bios divvying up ram for the on board video chip, and that Mac is trying to get him to reset the bios to either not allocate any ram to the video chip or turn it off. In any event you'd probably agree that his system would be better off without the CPU and RAM doing any video processing when all that could be done by the GeForce AGP card, right?

I did update the Nvidia card as I have done before to version 7x.xx (I could look it up, I just don't care any more). It seems to work fine.

I downloaded and ran, or attempted to run, the Flash utility. It doesn't recognize anything, even though it is said to be specific to my mobo. (It is clearly quite generic.) When I run the default routine, it says, "CHIPSET/FLASH PART ISN'T AVAILABLE. THE FUNCTION WILL BE INVALID." And so it is. The utility gives me lists and lists of numbers to choose from, none of which I understand or care to investigate. I'm good, but I'm just losing interest.

I can't make any of my music-creation programs talk to each other. I once recorded a bit of a CD into Nuendo. Wow. And before I actually needed to, I was able to link Reason with Nuendo via ReWire. It hasn't happened since. RealBand is, to me, quirky and unpredictable. I finally printed the manual and maybe that will change. I am still able to create things I like in BIAB--but I can't do anything with them, because I can't figure out how to record Reason, which is where I send things after I'm through with them in BIAB, into a DAW. I feel like an idiot--I even have the Dummies' Guide to prove it--and I am about to give up.

It can't be this hard. There are people here who are much less technically adept than I who are doing wonderful things. Although there have been difficulties, it isn't the machine. I READ THE FREAKIN MANUALS, most of which are opaque, incomplete, or assume vast knowledge of the arcane. I can make BIAB and Reason tap dance; I just can't DO anything with the results.

I want to take music from BIAB and/or Reason, put it into a DAW and record guitars and maybe some voice. Is that so freakin much to ask?

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We need to hold hands and sing Kumbya, I suggest the folk.sty LOL

I know what it's like, I've got 5 computers in the house and touch wood (touches head), all are and have been working fine, but I miss being able to use the Dxi synth on Vista 64.

Not PG's fault, but it makes rendering mp3's from arrangments a royal pain.

A slow royal pain.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

I am still able to create things I like in BIAB--but I can't do anything with them, because I can't figure out how to record Reason, which is where I send things after I'm through with them in BIAB, into a DAW.

Why can't you export your tracks in Reason as wave files and import them into your sequencer?

DTuna
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm assuming that if you want to record in Reason, you have to have a controller keyboard. Do you? I mean, you can do drum loops and stuff, of course, and you should be able to import MIDI (can't do it with the demo) and select from there. I don't know if your VG-88 will work as the controller for Reason.

Since you have to use Reason's instruments for all the sounds, you'd want to make sure you have the sounds you want. It seems to me that Reason is very dance orientated, and if that's what you're looking for, I guess it's okay. From the demo, I wouldn't use it.

Since Nuendo is 1.6, and the lastest version is 4.2, I'm not even going to guess.

My Opinion is that with the VG88, the JV1010, Real Band and Real Instruments, you probably have enough to get started on what you want to do, and then we can start working with Reason later on to export the audio and import it into Real Band.

Give me some details on kinds of music, etc.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite/Pro...D=1&LanID=0

Is this you mobo? If so, you need to figure out how to navigate the BIOS setup menus. You seem to be confusing some specs for the IDE (Hard Drive s and other drives) with the FSB speeds, and I think the manual could help clarify things. Check out the manual download on the far right in the middle, below downloads. Leaving flashing to perverts, and consider returning your BIOS to factory defaults, which should be a setup menu option, and one that should be featured in the manual. Then try one thing at a time in your music making. Each application may prefer different drivers or settings. Set your first application up, produce your tracks, check them to be sure you got them. then restart and change the settings for whatever goes next - produce the next stuff, check it, save it - move on. restart and reconfigure for the third app., and produce that , check it save it, and you may be the next susan boyle or Paul Pott (sp?). ...

If this is you board it's much fresher than I thought and it can handle whatever you throw at it.

DrDuBose
"Gettin' a life."

music at
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Gary,

You've been a big help in the past. That said, I was prepared to sniff at your last paragraph until I got a call from a friend who talked me off the ledge a bit. *g* Yes, I can go on creating bits and pieces of music until I can get all this stuff together. Sure would be nice to share all of what I'm doing with people outside of my music room, though.

The VG-88 does not do pitch-to-MIDI, durnit. A Terratec Axon Mk II PTM converter/synth is the next major investment. I have an M-Audio Keystation 49e USB/MIDI keyboard controller which works well when my programs recognize it at all.

My version of Nuendo isn't an issue. It has ReWire, which is designed to port audio and MIDI directly between slave and host. (See my recent re-post in the Wishlists for a full explication.) In one triumphant moment it worked, and if I can get it to do so again and consistently it will be all I need for straight recording with Reason as a soft synth. (I still want RealBand for other reasons.)

Reason has an odd rap. Think of Reason as a rack full of all the modular samplers, synths and processing gear you want (up to the limits of your system's resources) and you will be much closer to the truth. And you can do anything you want with an instrument. Put another way, Reason is a DAW without the A, and even that is only partly true. It can handle audio, only indirectly. I use it as a big lashup of a bunch of synths and wash stuff I create in BIAB through it.

A very short definition of my music is electronica with blues overtop of it. Fairly unique AFAIK. Here's an excerpt of an ad I placed in the Atlanta craigslist:

Quote:

OBJECTIVE: To play blues-informed electric lead guitar in an ambient/techno/prog pop setting, or add ambient values to a blues group . . .

OUTLOOK: As a guitarist I consider myself an electric blues player but would prefer to play in a techno/prog pop/fusac setting, OR join a blues band which would allow me to bring some of those values to the presentation. (Still wanna play some electric lead, though.) Think Stevie Ray Vaughan with David Bowie ("China Girl"), Santana with Weather Report ("This Is This"), or Rick Holmstrom's Hydraulic Groove CD . . . (To get an idea of my ideal, go to Klasyka Muzyki Elektronicznej (Classic Electronic Music)* and listen through your preferred media player. I wanna play guitar over that!) *g*

Love to know what you think of all that.

TYVM,

R.

* At polskastacja.pl and way down the list, if the link doesn't work directly.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just checked the manual, and you need to be sure to set the Primary Graphics Adapter setting to be AGP on the PCI / Plug and Play set up page. cursor down to Primary G... A... then when it s highlighted either go right to the right side and highlight AGP. You might also be able to change it using the +/- keys... Anyway be sure its set to be AGP... Then "save changes and exit... When it reboots you should notice a difference in video response... good luck again...

DrDuBose
"Gettin' a life."

music at
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That be the bad boy. I tried ta tole ya, I am not just anybody's idjut! I put this thing together from components only half knowing what I was doing, but I don't think I did a bad job. I'm stuck with IDE drives for now, but they're FAST IDE drives (WD Caviar Blue, 7,200 RPM 8 Mb cache). And I know what to do when I get (well, build) the new system . . .

Checked since your earlier message. I am using matched PNY PC 3200 DDR sticks of 1 Gb each, for the system max of 2 Gb. Now, the system's only rated to PC 2700; do you think that could be an issue?

Been through the BIOS a bazillion times, pretty sure I've got it aced. Now that this thing boots in 45 seconds I don't have a problem takin' another look from time to time, though.

R.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I am using matched PNY PC 3200 DDR sticks of 1 Gb each, for the system max of 2 Gb. Now, the system's only rated to PC 2700; do you think that could be an issue?

R.

No.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rys, The 3200 or 2700 isn't going to make a difference, the mobo will just slow the memory down to what it can run at.

I know RB and BIAB aren't ReWire capable. I would have thought (although I tried the Reason 4 demo) that you would be able to export audio. I don't know what else is ReWire capable, though. I'm guessing Nuendo is.

I still think you need to start with RB, BIAB, the JV1010 and the VG88 and just use those for the moment. The M-Audio keyboard should work with Reason, though.

We'll have to figure out Reason later on.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
You can absolutely export tracks in Reason 3 to audio. It's in the file menu. It's called "export song as audio". To export several tracks you have to do it several times, once for each track, soloing that track and muting the rest. Each time. Reason doesn't have a separate track function in 3. You can export midi as well. Reason Rewires to Nuendo as well as Reaper, Sonar, Cubase and other rewire capable hosts. Reason would be the slave to Nuendo. Setup is a little different in each host with Sonar probably being the easiest to grasp.

DTuna
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

You can absolutely export tracks in Reason 3 to audio. It's in the file menu. It's called "export song as audio". To export several tracks you have to do it several times, once for each track, soloing that track and muting the rest. Each time. Reason doesn't have a separate track function in 3. You can export midi as well. Reason Rewires to Nuendo as well as Reaper, Sonar, Cubase and other rewire capable hosts. Reason would be the slave to Nuendo. Setup is a little different in each host with Sonar probably being the easiest to grasp.

Duh. *facepalm* I don't have the manual, but I coulda looked at the File menu . . .

It will export the whole thing as a stereo WAV file, too, which is what I wanted right now. I've pulled it into RB and am listening as I write. Odd, though--I recorded the thing at 140 bpm but it's playing back at 120, even when I set the tempo in RB first. But THIS IS SO COOL. First real interprogram communication I've had so far.

Yes, Nuendo has Rewire, but I haven't been able to make it work but that one time. Hope springs eternal.

R.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Google "Reason 3 Manual"

I'm sure it's out there!

DTuna
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Reason manual is a 300-page PDF included with the program. So I HAVE it, but gimme a break, I just wore out one color and one black cart to print the freakin RB book.

Lol,

R.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I went over to the Paperless Office somewhere back in the late '80s.

And I ain't looked back.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If you learn best, or even acceptably, in the cockpit, more power to you. Me, I need ground school.

Something I know about myself is that I learn best from the printed word, as in "ink on paper", which I can dogear, underline, flip back and forth between other places in the book where I have my fingers stuck or otherwise personalize. And I can take it with me when I leave the PC.

R.

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
PROGRESS NOTE: I just finished running Gibson Research's "Spinrite 6.0" on my main drive. It took three days to run Level 4 maintenance on its two partitions.

The D: (Maxtor 80 Gb) drive name is in red and there have been bodings of Ill Things were I to run Spinrite on it at all. When I went to actually do it, a robot ran out waving its arms, saying, "Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!" and referred me to the grc.com website, where I found this message about a rare problem with my BIOS.

Oopsie. I've tried to update the BIOS once, without success. Even though the machine is running well, now it sounds more important than ever. I'll try again but may come looking for help.

R.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

If you learn best, or even acceptably, in the cockpit, more power to you. Me, I need ground school.

Something I know about myself is that I learn best from the printed word, as in "ink on paper", which I can dogear, underline, flip back and forth between other places in the book where I have my fingers stuck or otherwise personalize. And I can take it with me when I leave the PC.

R.

Just a matter of changing the tools a bit.

Find a .pdf program that allows you to highlight, underscore, even create your own custom search logs.

Use Notepad or Wordpad. With Wordpad you can often copy from .pdf and paste into the wordpad to create your own "notes" fast.

With a laptop, or the handheld, I can even take my .pdf manuals with me for study almost anywhere.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195