Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#216448 09/28/13 08:15 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm not a real political kind of guy.
I have my opinions (like most folks), but you generally won't find me on a soapbox.
There is, however, one thing that riles me...
At work, every year at the beginning of the school year, there are boxes set out so that we can fill them with school supplies to be distrubuted to the local schools. Because they don't have the money to buy books and pencils and paper.
Education should be the top of the heap - not the bottom.
We can spend BILLIONS killing people. We can spend BILLIONS bailing out the banks 'cause they apparently forgot how to run a business...
But we can't supply our schools. Or pay our teachers. Or keep people working, for that matter...
People who WANT to work can't find jobs. What has happened?????
Seems to me...

SOMETHING'S GONE WRONG

ain't afraid of a little hard work
mud on my boots and a sweat stained shirt
long as i'm paid... it's never been that tough
i'm good with my hands... i can drive truck
never been one to depend on luck
or charity... but it's never been this rough

thought i'd try the hardware store
turns out chuck isn't there no more
there's not enough work for the extra hand
checked the warehouse and UPS
they got all the men they need i guess
or they'll just make do with what they got if they can

tell me what i missed.. who made that call.. who changed the game
how'd it come to this.. who dropped the ball.. tell me who's to blame
oh, when a good man can't find work feed his family
and hope is gone
something's gone wrong
something's gone wrong

i cast my vote.. i help put them there
i was damn proud when i heard them swear
they're gonna make things right.. they're gonna change the rules
there's plenty of cash for a war or two
gotta help the banks what else could we do
but there's not enough left to send my kids to school

tell me what i missed.. who made that call.. who changed the game
how'd it come to this.. who dropped the ball.. tell me who's to blame
oh, when a good man can't find work feed his family
and hope is gone
something's gone wrong
something's gone wrong

I played the rythym acoustic and rythym mandolin
and did vocals and harmonies.

And here is the rest...
RealTracks in style: ~~520:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 165
RealTracks in style: ~~407:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 633:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanMuted Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 1684:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPromiseCrispHeld Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 1000:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLAFuzzyHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1540:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 1838:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGrooveSync4s Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 2035:Mandolin, Soloist CountryAndy Ev 120 .... (the outro)
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

Have fun.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I totally agree with the sentiments and the song is brilliant. I am chomping at the bit, so just whisper Health too.

I like the written way you introduce the song in the post, it is almost like a "live" intro.
The mandolin at the end was a MASTER TOUCH that evoked a feeling of despair, in my mind, sort of like *shrugs shoulders, my life has to go on, somehow*

And so the song is excellent.
Production etc up to you high standards
and back to the live analogy ---

*rapturous applause*

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

Just a sec, I'll put on my 'critical thinking' hat. Nope, that doesn't help. I can't find anything to be critical of. This song is eccellentissimo, loistava (I put that one in for Dani48), très bien!

I'm totally behind you on this theme. While most governments seem to realise that employment is important, so few of these governments seem to acknowledge that education is such an important requirement for long-term economic prosperity. The thing is that it takes about 20 years for education mis-management to be seen. By that point in time, most people forget what the cause was.

A standout for me in your writing was the head of the chorus. I LOVED the lyrical acceleration you achieved with the ABCABC quick succession of rhymes. This was VERY VERY effective and was a great way of flicking on the spotlight to say "Listen up! Here's the chorus."

While I'm not a fan of fade-out endings, I have to say that it was absolutely the perfect choice for this song. For me, it was 'thinking time' and allowed my brain the chance to process what you had said and to think about it relative to my own experience in Australia. (Yet again, you've shown me a few tips and tricks in your writing that I've taken on board. Thank you smile )

Overall: great harmony, very catchy melody, super arrangement, top-notch singing and capped off with a gold-star for superb mixing.

Really excellent work!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

Great song - love the vocal and production as well. Nice work.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd

Incredible song. The lyrics were heartfelt and music was excellent. Your words hit the nail right on the head. Things are definitely mixed up. Watched a documentary about kids coming out of University with massive student loans and no jobs. Billions being spent and very few seeing the reward.

Scott

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Alyn,

I actually included Health in my initial rant, but removed it - and some other stuff before finishing so that it wasn't quite so long...

I think an bit of an introduction is a good way to get going, so I'm glad you like that. It is how I would introduce songs when I used to actually play out. Never liked introductions that started with...
"Umm...this is a song about... ummm..."

Thanks for your comments...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

your lyrics apply to many countries.
Let me quote Noel: great harmony, very catchy melody, super arrangement, top-notch singing and superb mixing.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent work Floyd, an important and heartfelt song extremely well delivered. Well done my friend.

I had a twinge watching the BBC new lunchtime. There was a man in India, shopkeeper by trade but by no means wealthy, who decided something needed to be done to try and give local street urchins a chance in life and he'd set up, with his own time and money, an open air 'school' right under the noisy city concrete overpass, open to the elements. He'd painted a black square on a wall to serve as a blackboard. The kids sit on mats on the ground while he delivers basic lessons. The occasional volunteer donates exercise books but they didn't look like they had much of those. It's a topsy turvy world.

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, nicely written, well recorded and nice vocals. This is a subject I have approached in songs before. It's important to write things like this once in awhile so we can all help each other make sense of this crazy world. Thanks for posting, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

I absolutely LOVE this. Great vocal and lyrics that are sad but true and very well written.

All that said, my favorite thing about this song is the tune(melody)and the hauntingly beautiful arrangement. So many of these types of songs I hear don't have that. This one left me wanting to hear more.

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

I've been missing for a couple of weeks, but I'm really glad I didn't miss this one.

The protest song has always had an important role to play in our musical heritage and this one hits right to the heart of a subject which is on a lot of people's minds.

The standard of the writing, performance and production is excellent, as usual.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, my comments on your works are not very helpful. I absolutely love everything you do to a song so I'm not very much help, sorry.

The theme is very topical and could as well be taken from any headline in the world.

I, too, liked the mando outro. A pleasant surprise.

Well done, my friend.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

Although the title states something has gone wrong, I can state for sure that IMHO anyway, "nothing" has gone wrong with this project".

Well done!

later,

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Good one Floyd! Enjoyed the rhyming scheme and the emotion in the song as it built towards the end. Like the way you use a lot of tracks without the backing sounding crowded. Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not 100% sure of the rules here on political speech (it's off limits on other forums I go to) but putting it into a song is totally legit. So I will tread lightly....

They are simply two sides to the same coin....

I like the song and totally agree. My wife is a teacher and we buy her classroom supplies from our own pockets. If we didn't she would have to do without.

Check out my web site: I have 2 political songs there that name names and spell it out... Hope & Change and Leave This Country Alone

I enjoyed your take on this situation.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/30/13 04:51 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !

I think that what you are singing about
is a global thing, and I also share your
sentiment whith these absolutely brilliant
lyrics to this touching tune ! I am sure there
a couple of billion people agreeing with you
on this pressing issue!

I do not find the right words to
prize this magnificient song and performance !
I think I have to use the word loistava = shiningly brilliant, as brought up by Noel !:))

Thank you Floyd !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel,

Always enjoy your assessment of a song!

>>> the ABCABC quick succession of rhymes

I thought you would like (and mention) that. One of those spots that looks fairly simple once it's in place, but can take a bit of thought to get there in the first place. The trick is to "make it look easy". It should never stand out as "oh..he worked on that one!"..

>>> While I'm not a fan of fade-out endings..

That has been said by others. I happen to really LIKE fade out endings. For a couple of different reasons. Many of the endings that I hear here are so "standard" as to be uninteresting - they don't reflect what has gone before (meaning the song) - they are just a standard "wrap up of this final chord". They don't have the flavor that one would actually find studio musicians doing to complete a particular song. That is in no way a "knock" on BIAB. It does all that it can possibly do given the situation. And... second, the RT soloists can do some really cool stuff if you give them time. I'm not fan of long solos in the middle of a song. At the end, the listener can choose to "go with it or not". I enjoy that final ride...

In this case, the main lead instrument had been the electric, so I let him start to take it out. But this is a "working man's song" so the mandolin seemed like the guy to "have the last word".

Thanks for you kind words. Greatly appreciated. floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

Great song - love the vocal and production as well. Nice work.

Bob

Appreciate that, Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Hi Floyd

Incredible song. The lyrics were heartfelt and music was excellent. Your words hit the nail right on the head. Things are definitely mixed up. Watched a documentary about kids coming out of University with massive student loans and no jobs. Billions being spent and very few seeing the reward.

Scott

Thanks Scott.

It is mind-boggling how so much gets spent for the wrong things...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

your lyrics apply to many countries.
Let me quote Noel: great harmony, very catchy melody, super arrangement, top-notch singing and superb mixing.

Guenter

Guenter - that is an interesting thing that has come from this... finding that these "problems" seem to be worldwide. And, is a reminder of the fact that we, on this forum, are "a community" made up of people from all walks of life and many different country. That in itself is a very cool thing...

And... thanks for the listen - floyd

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195