Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#216606 - 09/30/13 09:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: floyd jane]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Floyd !

I think that what you are singing about
is a global thing, and I also share your
sentiment whith these absolutely brilliant
lyrics to this touching tune ! I am sure there
a couple of billion people agreeing with you
on this pressing issue!

I do not find the right words to
prize this magnificient song and performance !
I think I have to use the word loistava = shiningly brilliant, as brought up by Noel !:))

Thank you Floyd !

Cheers
Dani

#216611 - 09/30/13 10:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Noel,

Always enjoy your assessment of a song!

>>> the ABCABC quick succession of rhymes

I thought you would like (and mention) that. One of those spots that looks fairly simple once it's in place, but can take a bit of thought to get there in the first place. The trick is to "make it look easy". It should never stand out as "oh..he worked on that one!"..

>>> While I'm not a fan of fade-out endings..

That has been said by others. I happen to really LIKE fade out endings. For a couple of different reasons. Many of the endings that I hear here are so "standard" as to be uninteresting - they don't reflect what has gone before (meaning the song) - they are just a standard "wrap up of this final chord". They don't have the flavor that one would actually find studio musicians doing to complete a particular song. That is in no way a "knock" on BIAB. It does all that it can possibly do given the situation. And... second, the RT soloists can do some really cool stuff if you give them time. I'm not fan of long solos in the middle of a song. At the end, the listener can choose to "go with it or not". I enjoy that final ride...

In this case, the main lead instrument had been the electric, so I let him start to take it out. But this is a "working man's song" so the mandolin seemed like the guy to "have the last word".

Thanks for you kind words. Greatly appreciated. floyd

#216612 - 09/30/13 10:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: rsdean]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

Great song - love the vocal and production as well. Nice work.

Bob

Appreciate that, Bob

#216615 - 09/30/13 10:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: Scott C]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Hi Floyd

Incredible song. The lyrics were heartfelt and music was excellent. Your words hit the nail right on the head. Things are definitely mixed up. Watched a documentary about kids coming out of University with massive student loans and no jobs. Billions being spent and very few seeing the reward.

Scott

Thanks Scott.

It is mind-boggling how so much gets spent for the wrong things...

#216616 - 09/30/13 10:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: boehm]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

your lyrics apply to many countries.
Let me quote Noel: great harmony, very catchy melody, super arrangement, top-notch singing and superb mixing.

Guenter

Guenter - that is an interesting thing that has come from this... finding that these "problems" seem to be worldwide. And, is a reminder of the fact that we, on this forum, are "a community" made up of people from all walks of life and many different country. That in itself is a very cool thing...

And... thanks for the listen - floyd

#216638 - 09/30/13 12:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: floyd jane]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
What a great way to express a powerful sentiment. Beats the heck outa watching talking heads ad nauseum. I'd rather listen to a great song with a great message any day. I really like this and as usual your high productions standards accompanied a great vocal!!

J&B Website

#216682 - 09/30/13 03:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: floyd jane]
sixchannel Offline
Expert

Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
Amen to this, Floyd.
We are heading for a similar situation in this country. The money is getting spent the wrong way round.
Education should be right up there when it comes to spending the money that WE, the taxpayers put in there for our Government to spend WISELY.
Top Dollar, Floyd.
cheers
ian
ps - I loved the fade out ending - not usual for you and just seems to add to the Professionalism of the whole thing somehow.

BB2018Plus,505,RB3,Cakewalk GTPro2(2003),Adobe Audition1.5(2003),WindowsXPPro and Win7

http://app.box.com/s/p7lirbbuvjae03dsd4v5

and for tracks that use BIAB specifically-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel

#216709 - 09/30/13 08:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: Skyline]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Excellent work Floyd, an important and heartfelt song extremely well delivered. Well done my friend.

I had a twinge watching the BBC new lunchtime. There was a man in India, shopkeeper by trade but by no means wealthy, who decided something needed to be done to try and give local street urchins a chance in life and he'd set up, with his own time and money, an open air 'school' right under the noisy city concrete overpass, open to the elements. He'd painted a black square on a wall to serve as a blackboard. The kids sit on mats on the ground while he delivers basic lessons. The occasional volunteer donates exercise books but they didn't look like they had much of those. It's a topsy turvy world.

John,

Thank you for that.

An awful lot of the good that happens in the world is because one man stood up and did something...

#216710 - 09/30/13 08:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Floyd, nicely written, well recorded and nice vocals. This is a subject I have approached in songs before. It's important to write things like this once in awhile so we can all help each other make sense of this crazy world. Thanks for posting, Tom

Tom,

Thanks. And you're right.. it is important that we do that once in a while - floyd

#216711 - 09/30/13 08:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: Sundance]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Floyd,

I absolutely LOVE this. Great vocal and lyrics that are sad but true and very well written.

All that said, my favorite thing about this song is the tune(melody)and the hauntingly beautiful arrangement. So many of these types of songs I hear don't have that. This one left me wanting to hear more.

Josie,

Appreciate that. Sometimes the right package is all that is required to really get the message heard. I like that you think that this song accomplished that to some degree. - floyd

#216713 - 09/30/13 08:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: ROG]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

I've been missing for a couple of weeks, but I'm really glad I didn't miss this one.

The protest song has always had an important role to play in our musical heritage and this one hits right to the heart of a subject which is on a lot of people's minds.

The standard of the writing, performance and production is excellent, as usual.

ROG.

ROG,

Always good to have you drop in...That is a very nice thing to hear. One of things that I like about this song is that it is fairly simple and gets to the point - and requires little else.. - floyd

#216714 - 09/30/13 08:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: Don Gaynor]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Floyd, my comments on your works are not very helpful. I absolutely love everything you do to a song so I'm not very much help, sorry.

The theme is very topical and could as well be taken from any headline in the world.

I, too, liked the mando outro. A pleasant surprise.

Well done, my friend.

Don,

Always pleased to see you coming around for a listen. This should be brought up more often in the news. Perhaps it should always include a mandolin following the story. Make people think.. - floyd

#216715 - 09/30/13 08:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: Danny C.]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Floyd,

Although the title states something has gone wrong, I can state for sure that IMHO anyway, "nothing" has gone wrong with this project".

Well done!

later,

Danny,

Thanks. You made me realize how strong the title itself is. Kind of makes ya want to see what's inside. - floyd

#216716 - 09/30/13 08:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: RichMac]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Good one Floyd! Enjoyed the rhyming scheme and the emotion in the song as it built towards the end. Like the way you use a lot of tracks without the backing sounding crowded. Cheers.

Rich,

Glad you liked this.

There seems like a lot of tracks, I know - and I actually forgot at least one, I know... but several of those were used just to get the "big burst chords" that define the chorus - and they aren't playing anywhere else.

floyd

#216717 - 09/30/13 08:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something's Gone Wrong [Re: Guitarhacker]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I'm not 100% sure of the rules here on political speech (it's off limits on other forums I go to) but putting it into a song is totally legit. So I will tread lightly....

They are simply two sides to the same coin....

I like the song and totally agree. My wife is a teacher and we buy her classroom supplies from our own pockets. If we didn't she would have to do without.

Check out my web site: I have 2 political songs there that name names and spell it out... Hope & Change and Leave This Country Alone

I enjoyed your take on this situation.

Thanks, Herb.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - 49 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows boasts more than 50 new features... and a lot of the new features fill the requests posted by program users!

Some of these include:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I love the Audio Chord Wizard, as it figures out chords from mp3 and other audio files. But it is a separate program from Band-in-a-Box, and I can’t go back and forth to change things easily.

A. We've solved that, as BiaB 2018 has integrated the Audio Chord Wizard directly into Band-in-a-Box. Now load an audio file into BiaB, open the Audio Edit Window – Audio Chord Wizard mode, and let it automatically figure out the bar lines and chords for the song.

Q. I like to save songs as MP3 files, and can't do this with BiaB, except a very low quality one, 64kbps.

A. We've improved this, by adding support for Windows Media Foundation. This allows you to save MP3 in your choice of resolutions, up to very high 320mpbs. Better still, it works on current versions of Windows (Windows 7,8,10) and also on older versions too (Vista, XP).

We've answered 49 questions - review all of these answers on our forum post "49 of your Problems solved? List of 49 Requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box 2018" here.

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 3 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can update their version with the latest patch, Build 3. Download this patch here

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 3:

Added: Section Numbers supported. All section letter menus now include numbers 1 through 9 in addition to letters A through Z.
Fixed: Section letters in Notation Window were not being resized if the notation was zoomed in/out
Fixed: RealBand might freeze when generating audio harmonies
Fixed: Loading in a BB song (MGU/SGU) or generating realtracks could freeze up the program.
Fixed: Chords in Notation/LeadSheet on 1st beat of a bar were being drawn too close to bar lines.
Fixed: Support for XP and Vista.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_3

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 505 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can update their version with the latest patch - Build 505.

This patch can be downloaded here.

Summary of changes for Build 505:

Added: You can now put Section Numbers in your song. Previously you could only use letters A-Z, but now you can use 1-9 as well.
Added:You can now filter styles in the StylePicker for styles that contain Video RealTracks.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error "Procedure entry point MFTEnumEx could not be found in the Dynamic Link Library Mfplat.DLL" while starting up if using Windows Vista.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error message "dwmapi.dll cannot be found" while starting up if using Windows XP.
Fixed: The Transcribe feature in the Audio Edit window was not always working.
Fixed: The Windows Audio Devices dialog might show garbage text for names of devices if not running Band-in-a-Box in English.
Fixed: There was no Quality selector in the Render to Audio File dialog if rendering MP3 on Windows 7 or earlier.
Fixed: There were visual artifacts in the leadsheet & notation windows when moving the cursor.
Fixed: Using the Transpose or stretching features in the Audio Edit window might cause an access violation if the audio track is mono.
Improved: Band-in-a-Box will start up faster.
Improved: Importing ABC Notation files has been improved.
Updated: Help file and manuals.
Updated: RealTracks Artist bio's.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#505

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows... Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.
TIP: If you load one of the video RealTracks bands, you will have video RealTracks on 5 tracks, and you can make a video of 1-5 musicians!

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows packages during our December special.
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Holiday Special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: Video link - "Video RealTracks Sets 1-6 for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows"

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)! Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qDFYZMjrzAI

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade, on sale until December 31st!

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 4 - Available for both Windows and Mac!

We've just released Xtra Styles PAK 4 with over 150 new RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles! These new RealStyles will work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition.

To add to the excitement of this release, we're putting all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Forum Stats
26698 Members
50 Forums
48833 Topics
399149 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
huronbard, Rasmus, Phil Taylor, Poppins, Mannnolo

26697 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 378
VideoTrack 350