#217477 10/08/13 05:19 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
marty c Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
I want to change the key to a lower key, but it seems to only give higher versions. If I created the song in the key of C and want to drop to the key of G, it seems to only go up to the higher G - but I want the lower G. Can this be done?

Veteran
Veteran
G is G, no higher or lower. What do you want to transpose, a melody? In notation mode you can transpose a melody where-ever you want. Later, Ray

It may be that BIAB won't play lower chords because it's too low and would sound muddy.

Last edited by raymb1; 10/08/13 05:45 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, as Ray mentioned, BIAB has intelligence to play in a reasonable register. The exception would be a fixed MIDI melody and/or soloist part. If that plays in the wrong register, then there are at least two ways to change which octave it sounds in. I'm guessing this is the case for your song, because RealTrack soloists also have the same intelligence to stay in a usable register.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
If it is only the MELODY track that is too high, do this:

Go to the MELODY menu, very near the absolute top of the screen - on the same row as the FILE - EDIT - STYLES menus. Go to EDIT MELODY TRACK, then TRANSPOSE MELODY ONLY. Enter "-12" to bring the melody down an octave.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Veteran
Veteran
From C to G... that's almost the same distance up or down....

C to B is down....

That is the thing about BB.... when it changes keys, it adjusts everything else accordingly to play it in the most efficient way.... and I have noticed this as well on larger modulations such as you are doing.

I choose keys based on my vocal range as well as how it sounds on a guitar. While B might be a good key vocally, it's not a "fun" key on the guitar so I opt to choose either C or A which is still in the vocal range and provides nice open chords for strumming.

mi dos centavos

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I choose keys based on my vocal range as well as how it sounds on a guitar. While B might be a good key vocally, it's not a "fun" key on the guitar so I opt to choose either C or A which is still in the vocal range and provides nice open chords for strumming.

Hi Herb,

If B is the key you sing in and you want the first position open chord sound put a capo on the second fret and play the guitar in the key of A. With the capo on the second fret an A becomes a B, a D becomes an E, and so on and so forth.

I hope this helps!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #217521 10/09/13 10:55 AM
Expert
Expert
Yo Mario. Know where I can find a capo for my trumpet? smile

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Shastastan

Stan

Funny.

I have instruments in C, Bb, Eb, F, A, and G. As you know, the Bb trumpet can almost get to B with a harmon mute stuffed tightly, and the flugel and some piccolo trumpets play well in A when needed. Bb trumpets can also play in A with the main tuning slide all out. It's enough to wrap your head around, even without a capo...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A

Stan

HA! And the sax too. But I get where the OP is coming from. It seems that in BIAB all key choices go UP from C.

And I see all kinds of reasons why a composer might want to use a lower register because no..."C" isn't "C". It's just a key in a given register...all of which sound quite different musically even though the same NOTES are being played.

So, I get the question about going DOWN REGISTER to get to G from C.

Best,

Jim

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
@Matt..."Funny.

I have instruments in C, Bb, Eb, F, A, and G."

And us diatonic Harp players need 1 for each key plus both high and low G harps....unless you're one of the overblow gurus like Howard Levy who can play a song in all keys on a single diatonic harp.

But I understand Matt that you can't carry all your horns on a "bandelero belt" like Sugar Blue!!!

(-:

Jim

Last edited by av84fun; 10/09/13 01:33 PM.
M
marty c Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Funny thing is, I can create a new song in G, the acoustic real track plays the standard G chord with the bass note on the E string, third fret. If I start a song in the key of C and then transpose to G, the Acoustic real track then plays a much higher G chord - maybe capo 5, playing a D chord. In this case, the acoustic is the only instrument which plays to the higher G. The bass and normally electric guitar drops from C to the lower G. Only the acoustic goes to the higher, and undisireable G. No complaints since I can start over in G, but maybe there is something else I can do to avoid/correct this?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
All wind instrument players should practice each song they already know in all 12 keys.

If more were to do that, transposition would not be the perceived problem that it is today.

And, I might add that their improvisational abilities would soar.

--Mac

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Stan

Funny.

I have instruments in C, Bb, Eb, F, A, and G. As you know, the Bb trumpet can almost get to B with a harmon mute stuffed tightly, and the flugel and some piccolo trumpets play well in A when needed. Bb trumpets can also play in A with the main tuning slide all out. It's enough to wrap your head around, even without a capo...

Gee Matt. You don't even have a cornet in D? smile. No, I have not tried to change keys using mutes or slides. When I was a kid, I don't even think we knew about the 3rd valve slide. When I came back to playing after 50 years off, I fell in love with triggers, but I don't have any on my current trumpet. Maybe that's why I like my Getzen 3850 cornet so much. wink

Last edited by Shastastan; 10/09/13 04:42 PM.

Cornet Curmudgeon
Mac #217542 10/09/13 04:41 PM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mac
All wind instrument players should practice each song they already know in all 12 keys.

If more were to do that, transposition would not be the perceived problem that it is today.

--Mac

No one can argue with that, Mac. Of course I wish I had done what Dizzy Gillespie required all of his students to do----learn the piano first. I'm just now learning chord structures and that's on a uke.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
MarioD #217582 10/10/13 06:25 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Hi Herb,

If B is the key you sing in and you want the first position open chord sound put a capo on the second fret and play the guitar in the key of A. With the capo on the second fret an A becomes a B, a D becomes an E, and so on and so forth.

I hope this helps!

I used B solely as an example. Because, I can write a song for my vocal range in any given key.... the important factor is not the key, but the melody and it's range in the song.

Mario, well.... I appreciate that advice. However, I've been playing guitar for 45 years and can actually play in any key on the guitar w/o issues. Playing in the church orchestra for a few years where nothing is ever in D or G or A.... mostly Eb, Bb, and Ab....will teach or force you to learn to play, and I did not use a capo, which blew the minds of the other guys who played the guitar in the church music program. We could have anywhere from one to three pickers... mostly only one or two.

I have a number of different capo's.... and on occasion I will use them but not to make a key easier to play. Oh yeah I did use them for that in the beginning.... everyone does.... but I now use them for tonal reasons.

The proper use of a capo for me is to change the sound of the guitar. There is a difference between the sound of an open chord and a totally fretted chord and a chord played in either of those positions with a capo on the neck. It is to get that unique coloration that I use a capo. It tends to raise the timbre of the instrument which is desirable under certain circumstances.

www.herbhartley.com

Mac #217583 10/10/13 06:31 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mac

--Mac

the ability to play any instrument in any key is extremely desirable. Back when I took piano lessons, that was a requirement. The teacher was always introducing music in different keys. and practicing scales...... oh my... what a pain at the time but now I realize how important that was to make the different keys second nature and not having to spend time thinking about it because it was ingrained in your subconscious and it became effortless.

www.herbhartley.com

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Hi Herb,

I hope this helps!

I used B solely as an example. Because, I can write a song for my vocal range in any given key.... the important factor is not the key, but the melody and it's range in the song.

Mario, well.... I appreciate that advice. However, I've been playing guitar for 45 years and can actually play in any key on the guitar w/o issues. Playing in the church orchestra for a few years where nothing is ever in D or G or A.... mostly Eb, Bb, and Ab....will teach or force you to learn to play, and I did not use a capo, which blew the minds of the other guys who played the guitar in the church music program. We could have anywhere from one to three pickers... mostly only one or two.

I have a number of different capo's.... and on occasion I will use them but not to make a key easier to play. Oh yeah I did use them for that in the beginning.... everyone does.... but I now use them for tonal reasons.

The proper use of a capo for me is to change the sound of the guitar. There is a difference between the sound of an open chord and a totally fretted chord and a chord played in either of those positions with a capo on the neck. It is to get that unique coloration that I use a capo. It tends to raise the timbre of the instrument which is desirable under certain circumstances.

What he said.

(-:

Jim

Veteran
Veteran
<...>

I agree with that 200% and add for me it is the only use of the capo. (I don't mean to imply that my way is the only correct way to do anything - YMMV).

One nice thing about the guitar is that if you are not playing open string chords (cowboy chords as my guitar teacher friend calls them) it's really easy to play in any key. Much easier than it is on the saxophone or piano where the fingering in each key is entirely different. When I picked up guitar and first learned barre chords transposing was so ridiculously easy that I couldn't help giggling every time a song changed key. Wow! The fingering is the same, only on a different fret.

On the sax and piano, to play all the major scales require 12 completely different fingerings. Same for natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, major pentatonic, minor pentatonic, and all the modes. On the guitar, learn 5 different fingerings for each position on the neck and you have them all. A major fingers just like Bb major, B major, C major and so on.

I learned to play the sax (my primary instrument) in all keys, however it is still easier for me to play in some keys than others. Probably because I play them more often.

Unlike "big band" saxophonists from the swing era, I prefer the sharp keys. Probably because I grew up in guitar-based rock bands and in my youth the guitarists tended to like E and A (F# and B on the tenor sax). So for me the fingers just flow easier in the sharp keys.

Many of the swing standards are written in Ab, Eb and Bb which are comfortable keys on the piano and also allow the brass and woodwinds to play with fewer flats or sharps on the key signature.

When I was in school band, the dreaded key for the winds was F#. For the tenor sax that's E on the guitar and piano. I happen to really like F# a lot (E concert), and also find that it fits the range of the sax quite well.

Not that I can't play in the flat keys. It's just my fingers are more comfortable with the sharp keys.

But I'm weird wink

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
One more thing to add about keys. Sometimes moving a song a half step changes its mood, making it sound darker or brighter.

To my ears and others I've had conversations with, depending on the song some keys just sound right and others wrong for that reason.

Others cannot hear the difference. I guess it's the way we are built. I don't have absolute pitch, but the people that I know that do have it almost unanimously agree.

So when learning a song, first we fit the vocal range and then tweak the key a bit so it sounds right to us (and hopefully the audience).

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,692
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200