Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#21788 04/30/09 09:08 PM
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have a question that I should know. . . but. . .

There is a gal at work that has agreed to do some Christian vocals for me. She has a very dynamic voice, and I plan to record her in Real band. To prevent clipping, when she "nails it" , are the effects within Real Band, real time, or are they added after the recording. Should I use compression or limiters as I am recording, or can I turn on say, PG dynamics and PG limiter within Real band to record with. I want to be all ready when she comes over, so I don't waste time .

Thanks,

Gene

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Plugins are after the fact. Use outboard hardware on your session. You'll save time and be able to optimize it later.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Ryszard #21790 04/30/09 09:18 PM
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey thanks Ryszard.

Gene

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
After all of the discussion of ASIO drivers this is one instance to use them. Yes you can insert the PG Peak limit for recording.You need to change to ASIO and check " enable input mon. and check allow IM effects.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
While use of ASIO and IM effects can allow the use of effects in realtime, in this particular instance, that of a vocalist with wide dynamic range, it won't provide protection against overloading the input analog circuitry nor the A-to-D of the soundcard because the plugin only works on the digitized numbers and not on the actual real signal.

The way to record the vocalist is either straight in with lowered input gain such that the loudest part sung will not push to 0dB clip point, getting the gain back after the fact with the gainchange algorithm plugin if need (or pgdynamics compressor plugin or a combination of the two) OR -- place a hardware compressor unit adjusted accordingly in series between the mic and the soundcard input. Set the compressor up as a soft Limiter only. Insurance.

--Mac

Mac #21793 05/01/09 07:19 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Follow Mac's advice. It makes perfect sense.
If the signal distorts on its way into the computer, there is nothing a realtime effect can do to change it. The actual conversion from analog to digital signal will contain the distortion already.

Having a low vocal signal will be MUCH easier to fix.

Don't let her hold the mic, have it on a stand - this will help with volume fluctuations from mic movement. Some singers tend to bring the mic in closer when the sing louder, instead of moving it out like they should, and this would only compound the problem. Bringing the mic in is a natural reaction from the body tightening (contracting) to produce the louder volume, and takes disciplined practice to overcome.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #21794 05/01/09 09:13 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Correct. I didn't think that one through for sure.

Last edited by silvertones; 05/01/09 09:26 AM.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Absolutely correct. The outboard compresssor with a good mic preamp is the best way to go in my opinion. If the outboard gear is not accessable, then work with a lower gain setting and a fixed mic placement with a pop screen if possible. If you have a PA amp head with built in compressor, this could help as a work around.

toucher #21796 05/01/09 08:54 PM
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thank you all.

I do have a hardware compressor. Can someone refresh my memory about compression? Mine has the following settings:

Threshold- from -54 to zero
Ratio- 1to infinite, 1/8, 1/4,1/2
Attack 1.0 - 20.0
Level

I am not too worried about the singer hitting low volume notes, that need to be bumped up, as much as hitting those unexpected peaks. I used to just ride the volume sliders, but electronically, I should be able to respond faster with a compressor.

what are some "stock" settings for a starting point. And what would I increase to handle clip?

Thank you in advance.

Gene

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Threshold - the level at which the compressor kicks in
Ratio - the amount of compression applied to a signal that goes over the threshold
Attack - how quickly the compressor handles any transients over the threshold
Level - the adjustment of the signal overall after it leaves the compressor.
(These are usually the settings, but even these can be different, as there are upward and downward compressors)

The compressor works in this way-
For example the threshold is set at -12dB
This means any signal going over -12dB wiil have compression applied, but how much?
The ratio decides how much; at 2:1 if a signal goes over -12 by 6dB (for example) at a 2:1 setting the compressor will make the 6dB over become 3dB over, so instead of going over the threshold by a certain amount the compressor will cut that signal that goes over the threshold by the ratio chosen. Everything under the threshold is untouched.
The attack decides on how fast the compressor tries to adjust those signals. Often very quick will work, if it starts sounding funny, adjust.

There is no magic setting; it will be determined by the mic, the preamp, and mostly the performer. She may need a threshold of -6dB with a high ratio, and quick attack. This will act more like a limiter, which is really what you want.

rharv #21798 05/02/09 10:18 AM
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
rharv;

Thank you. About the quick attack? If my compressor goes from 1-20, a 20 would be quicker than 1 ?

Gene

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Typically the lower number is the faster attack. Also it is typical that those numbers are in milliSeconds.

--Mac

Mac #21800 05/05/09 06:59 AM
RealBand
W
Expert
Expert
W
I'm glad to hear about the HW compressor. I have not gotten into this area but if I could ask.
What is a reasonable/cheaper brand and are they single channel or more.
Recording in the church has caused the same problems with overloading the vocal track and having a keyboard track that may peak out too.
There maybe other issues as well but I thought I would get some help on these as well. thanks Wyndham

Wyndham #21801 05/06/09 04:28 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Find yourself a DBX 166A. Two Channel compressor, limiter, gate.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
W
Expert
Expert
W
Thanks Wyndham

Wyndham #21803 05/06/09 11:58 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
The JoeMeek compressor also gets good reviews

http://www.joemeek.com/different.html
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Joemeek-MC2-Stereo-Compressor?sku=187014

You are actually are looking for something that can act as a limiter - one that keeps the peaks managable. Compressors often have this capability, but don't overlook a limiter product either.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195