Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#21890 05/01/09 06:49 PM
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So, what kind of mastering software does anybody use?

And why that particular software?

Other PG Music Programs
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you know the technicals, you could even use Powertracks or Realband for digital mastering. Or any of the Audio Editing Suites available, even the free ones.

But if you are technically challenged, it can be a good shortcut for you to use one of the dedicated Mastering programs instead. Those will often give you a simpler set of controls and presets that aid in doing the right thing in the first place, can eliminate a long learning curve and a lot of trial and error.

Check out Ozone or T-Racks, two that I've heard great results from. Of course, as with any tool, there is a point where the results obtained depend on the user and all, but it will likely be far easier to accomplish for the person who finds that they are more artist than engineer.

-- And it is a very good idea to cover this phase of production.

--Mac

Mac #21892 05/16/09 07:40 AM
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

If you know the technicals, you could even use Powertracks or Realband for digital mastering. Or any of the Audio Editing Suites available, even the free ones.

But if you are technically challenged, it can be a good shortcut for you to use one of the dedicated Mastering programs instead. Those will often give you a simpler set of controls and presets that aid in doing the right thing in the first place, can eliminate a long learning curve and a lot of trial and error.

Check out Ozone or T-Racks, two that I've heard great results from. Of course, as with any tool, there is a point where the results obtained depend on the user and all, but it will likely be far easier to accomplish for the person who finds that they are more artist than engineer.

-- And it is a very good idea to cover this phase of production.

--Mac

Mac (or anyone else who cares to reply)

Can you offer any pointers on mastering a song within the RB environment?
I wouldn't say I'm technically challenged, but I am certainly "time & money challenged" As a hobbyist, I have no compelling need to make perfect recordings... it is possible that with a little guidance on what to do and how to do it, RB or Sonar could provide tools to get my music "good enough" for my simple needs.

Other PG Music Programs
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Pat, what you ask is like asking for someone to tell you how to master playing an instrument like the guitar but please put it into a few paragraphs.

What I mean by the above is that what I do when Mastering represents the culmination of having learned and dealt with Physics, Electronics, Music, The Physics of Music, Technology as in equipments or plugins that are designed to emulate hard equipments, plus a deep knowledge of the science known as Mastering. Add about 30 years of hands on experience to the fray, too.

For example, I want to rather simply inform you that you need to use an EQ that features a 6dB per octave rolloff when Mastering, that OdBFS is the absolute limit in pcm digital sound and that it is a good idea to leave about a half dB of headroom below that level just in case, that use of the Mastering Compressor should be governed by both what you see in the graphic wave views as well as on the meters but never ever let that get in the way of what you hear. Speaking of what you hear, that is something that takes time also, good reference system that is the same exact system that you will be using to Master as well as lots, and I mean LOTS of "reference listening" to recordings well Mastered by pros until you get to the point where you can simply listen to a playback and know what frequency areas have problems, what causes those problems and most importantly, which of the available tools would be best to use to attempt to solve the specific problem.

I do not know how to hand out shortcuts on this subject, other than to recommend that you obtain one of the software Mastering Suite programs that do indeed cut those corners quite a bit and offer some defaults and even one-button solutions. T-Racks, Ozone, etc. Even then it is unrealistic to expect that the results obtained would be commiserate with what a seasoned Mastering Engineer might yield, but the results you get should be a far cry better than leaving your mixed down files in the raw.

It grinds down to spending time or spending money. Sometimes both.

There is also the old adage that you shouldn't attempt to Master your own projects. There are some very good reasons for that one, but in today's home studio environment there are also some very good reasons to break that mold.

--Mac

Mac #21894 05/16/09 02:15 PM
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran
If you were going to master,no pun intended, one tool it would be the multiband compressor.Unfortunatly I haven't found any free ones. I purchase Sonic Foundry XFX 2 Mastering suite many moons ago. Has all of the nice dynamic effects you'd need. Now only $34.00
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/xfx2

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Mac #21895 05/16/09 08:13 PM
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Pat, what you ask is like asking for someone to tell you how to master playing an instrument like the guitar but please put it into a few paragraphs.

--Mac

Yes, I guess it is.
;-)

Thanks for the observations. They give me some research keywords for followup.

Other PG Music Programs
Apprentice
Apprentice
I ve had really great results with isotope ozone. I think it is around $200usd. But like Mac says the controls are easy and straightforward with a lot of great presets you can just call up and use with very little or no tweaking. Another great thing about it is it is like 4 or 5 effects in one that you can use separately as well on different tracks. I used to just use the effects that came with ptw (which are good effects) but once I tried ozone I was hooked

...........Jeff......
Other PG Music Programs
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
+1 for Isotope Ozone... I know a few guys who use it for mastering, with fantastic results.

Other PG Music Programs
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I master inside the software (any software that has the tools) using a spectrum analyzer, a compressor, a good EQ with rolloff as mac said, and a solid Master limiter in the last slot.

1. i use the spectrum analyzer to find out of line frequencies, and the the Eq to massage them properly

2. use the compressor to slightly and ever so gently tweak the tracks that i feel need it.

3. And the master limiter to control the output to my Sound card.

This is Waaaay over simplified, but with a lot of work you can get decent results. I still have years of work to do, but it is coming along as I go.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Other PG Music Programs
Expert
Expert
Quote:

If you were going to master,no pun intended, one tool it would be the multiband compressor.Unfortunatly I haven't found any free ones.

Broadcast from J. Breebaart is a heavy handed 3 band compressor, spatial processor, & brickwall limiter that will slam anything and make it "radio ready" in a lot of folks minds....

The ReaPlugs VST FX Suite has a multi-band comp, along with all the other plugs you could need to master at home......with time & effort.

They are pretty easy on the CPU, and the price is right......

Hope this helps!

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran
Another freebie mutliband compressor is Triplecomp (actually has a nag screen but works well in free version inside PGMusic products). The author actually took the time to fix a couple issues that had previously existed when used in PT.
Yet another nice free one is Grancomp3 (I think that is correct name)
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1047.html

I also like Ozone4, and think it is well worth the money. I think its over $300 though, not the 200 mentioned above. It has great presets for the beginner to start from, and contains many FX all in one module; more than you could otherwise get in the four slots available in the RB final output.
It also contains a great dithering setup, which is a whole 'nother discussion..

RobH gave a nice simple explanation for getting started.

I set this site up to help people get their music ready for mastering, which is an important step-
http://musicmastering.org
There are a few mastering tips in there.

I've had a couple other mastering engineers contribute articles and am still looking for more to pitch in.

Thanks for the link to reaplugs, jscpro40, I've heard good things about those.

Last edited by rharv; 04/24/10 05:55 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #21901 04/25/10 02:16 PM
Other PG Music Programs
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
I had to do a DIY mastering job and I used Har-Bal (a standalone eq tool) for the EQing part. I was very happy with how it worked and how it sounded. It's a standalone tool that lets you analyze the audio spectrum of your file and make changes to balance it out. You can also load up a reference to help you shape the sound. While it has a built in limiter, I only used it for the EQ. The rest was done in Sonar with a compressor and a limiter. I won't claim to be any sort of expert, but the results were amazing to me. The songs clearly sounded better.

Of course, Har-Bal is just a tool and not a miracle product. While it is thought of (and is) a visual tool, you still have to have flat monitors and good ears to decide on the final product. Just because you can match the eq of your song to another song doesn't mean it's going to sound just right. One nice feature is it can play back the file and toggle between a reference and the file you're working on to hear the similarities/differences. Anyway, I think it's worth checking out and it's just under $100.

DanL #21902 04/28/10 11:11 AM
Other PG Music Programs
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
A very nice free spectrum analyzer. http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/ Place this on the master buss with a multiband Eq after it and then look for frequencies that are too high and use the EQ to bring them in line. http://www.voxengo.com/product/overtonegeq/

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
rharv #21903 04/28/10 12:33 PM
Other PG Music Programs
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Thanks for the link to reaplugs, jscpro40, I've heard good things about those.

Your very Welcome rharv!

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Other PG Music Programs
Veteran
Veteran
Shhh!
That overtone EQ is suppose to be kept a secret.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone know how well it works in the AUX slots as an enhancer.. using the Stereo Sheen preset.
Please don't tell everybody that!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #21905 04/29/10 12:44 PM
Other PG Music Programs
R
Expert
Expert
R
Don't forget Ray's RealBand tutorial.

http://rsthigpen.com/free/

R

Other PG Music Programs
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
This is one area that Realband doesn't come loaded with pre-formated studios. I go through REason and cakewalk and try to recreate some of their setups in Realband. It assumes you have a grab bag of effects. Which become a studio. But For a musical education Biab and RealTracks can't be beat

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,534
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200