Print Thread
Go To
#219404 10/29/13 01:07 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
cudo Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I am working with BiaB 2013 and I think it is not working right.

BiaB says "pressing the WAVE-button allows you to quickly save the song as MP3."

When clicking the WAV-button a menue shows up and I choose "Export song as MP3". I choose Desktop as destination. --> Nothing happens.

Can anybody help? Do I have to reinstall the program? Or is this function out of order?

cudo #219409 10/29/13 03:36 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi cudo,

Do you have the latest build for BIAB (found here)?

I just tried to make an mp3 and it didn't work. I could make a wma file, though. I'll continue to have a play around with this to see why I couldn't get the mp3. (I know I have made mp3s in BIAB in the past. Personally, I prefer to save as a WAV file and then use another application to convert to mp3. I use Free Audio Converter to do the job.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
cudo #219413 10/29/13 05:01 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Personally, I never export as MP3. I prefer to export waves.

Once it's exported, I use a 3rd party wave editor called WAVEPAD to process it further. I trim it front and back, normalize it, and save it, then I convert it to MP3.

The conversion is the last thing I do.

I save to wave since if I ever decide to burn it to CD... the last thing I want is a CD made from mp3 due to quality issues with the mp3 files vs waves.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
cudo #219425 10/29/13 07:26 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
For Band in a Box to be able to export as an mp3 file, your Operating System must have a Windows compatible codec installed.

Most come with an mp3 DEcoding codec, so that the Windows Media Player and other programs can play an mp3 file, but it is often the case where the ability to ENcode has been left out due to the cost of licensing the codec (Fraunhofer, typically).

Never fear, though, for there is a much better codec available and a better way to turn your BB work into mp3 files.

The LAME encoder is free and actually works and sounds BETTER than the Fraunhofer. There are good reasons for that, Fraunhofer stopped development a good while back while the open-source LAME project continued on with development.

I use the LAME encoder along with the free Audacity.exe Audio Program to convert my BB stuff to mp3, not only getting the better sounding codec, but also the ability to Edit, Change Amplitude overall, plus many other easy and professional features.

1) Visit the Audacity.exe site, read the directions first and then download the Audacity program plus also the LAME encoder available there, installing according to their instructions.

2) When in need of saving a BB project into an mp3 file, use BB only to create a .wav file.

3) Open the Audacity program and use its File -> Open command to navigate to where you stored that BB .wav file and open it in Audacity.

4) Once opened in Audacity, you can do things like chop off the BB countin if desired, hit ctrl-A to highlight the entire file and use the Plugins -> Amplify command to set the overall loudness of the song to some "musical" level, such as peaking at -1.8dBFS or so.

5) Then use the Audacity File -> Export command to export the results as an mp3 file. Along with the conversion, Audacity also asks you for easily entered meta data, such as filebname, artist, album, date, etc. which will show up when the mp3 file is played on a lot of players. You can also embed copyright information in the meta data as well.

The Audacity.exe program and the LAME encoder are available at the following hotlink:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Powerful tool for anyone who is in the game of producing audio files, Audacity is also available in a Macintosh version as well as the Windows version linked above.

--Mac

cudo #219438 10/29/13 09:11 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
+1 on Audacity - one of the best little audio apps out there.

cudo #219440 10/29/13 10:52 AM
cudo Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Noel96,

I do have Band-in-a-Box for Windows Version 2013 (366).

I do not want to have another program doing the conversion to MP3. I just want to use Biab.

Hi Mac,

thanks for the hint. I did download the LAME converter, unzipped it and clicked on the LAME.exe. Nothing happened.
BiaB is reacting the same as before. BiaB stays for about a minute in a working process, saying "rendering file". Than this prozess is stopped and nothing is done. No file nowhere. This is very strange.

By the way: when I try to quit BiaB a message appears and says: "cannot creat file "f: .... access denied." I can only quit the program with the task manager.

When opening BiaB an other message appears which says: Can't find the file G/bb/_JGTGRFS.STY.

When I did work with BiaB 4 monthes ago all these messages did not appear.
It is not very comfortable right now to work with BiaB.

Maybe better play the piano without playalong and concentrate on the music. There is to much technique not working properly.

cudo #219445 10/29/13 11:44 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Sounds like you may have chosen to install BB to your Program Files folder?

If that is the caae, Windows prevents pograms from writing to disk when installed to the Program Files folder.

Should install BB to any other folder or accet the default of c: bb

Maybe this is your problem.

--Mac

cudo #219488 10/30/13 12:02 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Cudo,

If BIAB is not installed in the "Program Files" folder, the below might be worth reading through.

I successfully created an mp3. This is how I went about it.

1. Generate the song by hitting the GenPlay green arrow.

2. Once the song is generated, I then did the following (shown on the image below). Clicked on "Wav" (#1), selected "Export song as audio" (#2) and then selected "Export as mp3" (#3).

3. I navigated to the directory where I wanted to say the file, hit OK and then the below yellow box appeared. I had to wait for around 60 - 70 seconds for the WAV file to be generated at this point in time. (BIAB first needs to create a WAV file which it then converts to mp3.)

4. After about 60 secs, the below box appeared.

I left #1 and #2 exactly as they are shown. All I changed was #3. For #3, I selected 128 kBit/s 44,100 Hz, Stereo.

5. I hit OK and the mp3 was created.

Try the above sequence of events and let us know which one your computer stops working at.

I suggest you try saving it to a directory other than the Desktop because the Desktop directory is found as a sub-directory within the protected Windows directories.

Hope this helps,
Noel.

P.S. Once when I tried it, the dialogue box in step 4 was hidden behind the main BIAB screen. This confused me for a while. For the other 5 times I tried it, the dialogue box was visible.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
cudo #219508 10/30/13 08:00 AM
cudo Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Mac,

thanks for answering.

my BiaB was preinstalled on the little hard disk which came with the program. It is connected via USB to the computer.
When closing BiaB this message appears -->

www.cisum.info/biab1.jpg
I only can close the program via Task Manager. :-(

hi Noel,

thanks for answering.

I did as you described but after the rendering no box appears which says "please select an audio output format".
It is not working.
When saving as WAV everything works fine. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Maybe this is an allready known Bug of the program?

Last edited by cudo; 10/30/13 08:01 AM.
cudo #219523 10/30/13 12:03 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Cudo,

Did you check to see if the missing box was actually behind the main screen? As mentioned in my PS, that once happened to me and it confused me a great deal. (This dialogue box seems to get hidden if one clicks on the 'Yellow box' that appears when the wav is being rendered. Did you click on this yellow box to close it?)

To see if it is there but hidden, use ALT+TAB to cycle through the open programs. The dialogue box is the one I've circled in the below image.

Also, try saving as wma and see if that works. The amount of compression is pretty much the same. PG Music prefer to use wma files rather than mp3 files for their Realtracks. There must be a reason for this. These days, I've also been using wma more than mp3.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
cudo #219590 10/31/13 10:40 AM
cudo Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Noel,

sorry for the delay but I was bussy.

The missing box is not showing up nowhere.
If I click or not on this yellow box it does not change nothing.

I can save as wma and wav but not as mp3. This definitely must be a Bug in the program.

Thanks for your help.

cudo #219596 10/31/13 12:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi cudo,

That's most curious.

It's good that you can save as wma. Will that do the job for you? I suspect that it's probably better than mp3.

In the meantime, I'll keep on playing around with the mp3 save and see if I can think of anything else.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
cudo #219642 11/01/13 12:49 AM
cudo Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
As there seems to be no solution for saving in MP3 format directly from BiaB I will work now with WMA format.
Thanks for the help.

cudo #220444 11/08/13 01:58 AM
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Have you tried OPTIONS...RETURN TO FACTORY SETTINGS?
Doing that often sorts out these strange glitches.
Incidentally, I often save as MP3, and it works OK.

Mike Laatz
Cape Town
cudo #220450 11/08/13 04:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran
cudo,

One other thought that just occurred to me. If you have lame.dll in the \bb folder, try removing it (with BIAB closed) and then start up BIAB after you've removed the file. Now try saving as mp3.

Just something else that might be worth a try.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
cudo #220507 11/08/13 06:10 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I usually prefer wma myself, especially when dealing with higher frequencies.
True MP3 has issues with licensing, even though many ignore this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME

So many companies stopped improving it years ago anyway.
Every time I need to get MP3 to work on a new system, there is a song and dance routine needed to get it to work (Audacity does the job but is another step, so falls in the song and dance category). I've purchased various 'legal' MP3 encoders and they have all fallen by the wayside over the years. WMA just works for over 90% of users right out of the box.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #220509 11/08/13 06:57 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
"Song and dance category" is actually just a personal perception.

I've been using Audacity and LAME for a long time now, creating mp3 files using them is actually very easy to do.

There are times when the mp3 format is a must, a lot of web publishing sites won't do .wma format, most web streaming sites do only mp3 and only at 128kbps, then there's the iPod or other mp3 player crowd to contend with.

Since the use of the built in System codecs is a problem, which I perceive as the "song and dance" of the thing, and apparently rharv really does also from what he says in his post, use of Audacity to convert your wav files to mp3 format using the LAME encoder, which really does exceed the sound quality of the old Fraunhofer licensed encoder$ makes a lot of sense.

As an added plus, Audacity prompts the user every time an mp3 file is exported, to fill in a meta data window. I haven't found any way or program for embedding the meta data, such as song title, artist, album, date, even copyright, that is as easy to use as Audacity.

Should I publish a howto guide on use of Audacity and LAME for making mp3 files?

--Mac

Mac #220546 11/09/13 08:22 AM
Veteran
Veteran
There are plenty of guides out there, and I do have Audacity/Lame installed.
I also can export in MP3 from BB products. But your right, many seem to have a problem doing this.
I've posted methods before that have worked for me, from installing Lame Front-End to installing using the inf file and a couple other tricks, but I have seen one work on system A and not system B, so it can be problematic.

To me it's worth the effort to be able to convert inside BB products. If the song/dance of the install works once, it saves doing the Audacity song/dance repeatedly.
But my original point was WMA works out of the box and is probably an acceptable solution for most users. Many may not have considered it.
Also - LAME Front-End has the tags option too.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
mp3.jpg (49.8 KB, 18 downloads)
LAME.jpg (45.49 KB, 18 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,610
Posts735,054
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 190