Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#221072 11/13/13 09:59 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I married the girl next door.

Well, actually, the girl down the street...
We met the first day of 8th grade at the bus stop. I had just moved to town.
We became best friends... through junior high...until I moved away. Never "dated".
Sort of kept in touch. A few years later, I was in Ft. Lauderdale playing in bars.
Got a message from her that she wanted to visit over spring break.

She never left. We've been married 37 years.

THE GIRL NEXT DOOR

with two tin cans...some string from my kite
we made a telephone and talked half the night
when morning would come, she'd be waiting on my front porch
my very best friend.....the girl next door

the first time we danced... i was scared half to death
the whole time she held me, i was holding my breath
i knew we were friends...but i was feeling so much more
i was falling in love.... with the girl next door

as time went on i just fell deeper
    could she ever feel the same
    a raging river starts high in the hills
   from a single drop of rain

a little french cafe....soft candlelight
i practiced all day to get the words just right
when i gave her that ring my heart heard what it'd been waiting for
she said, "it looks like i'll no longer be the girl next door"

as time goes on i just fall deeper
   and i know she feels the same
   a raging river runs deep in our hearts
   from that single drop of rain

we still talk all night... we're still best of friends
our daughters have grown like weeds on a fence
can't help but laugh when we hear the knocks from our front porch
it's every boy on the block.... for our girls next door

gotta shake my head...cause i know how it feels to love ....
the girl next door

Here are the RealTracks used...
RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1422:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I did the vocals. Harmonies are me and the BIABettes.
I played the strings (not the violins, of course... a Yamaha P-85)

Have at it.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

you did it again!
What a beautiful declaration of love.
I think I can spare my words on story, vocals,
harmonies, arrangement and mix, I've said that so
often.
I can't get enough of it.
(One nit: there's a pause at the end followed by an ugly crackle. Perhaps you can remove that).

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !!

Yes, you really made it this time...
You got me crying....I have an almost
similar history as you, but we only
got 42 years, me and my sweet dear Beni !
I can only hope and pray that your marriage
would last much, much
longer !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Now THAT is how to write a love song! What a wonderful tribute Floyd.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice story, great song, excellent mix and soulful delivery.

There's a lot of solid craftsmanship in the writing.

I liked the way you snuck in the cello, built to full strings, and then thinned out the instruments again. Very effective.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Outstanding lyrics and the emotion you put in the vocal brings it to life. Top notch work here, very well produced tune, thanks for sharing and congrats on the marriage.

My Music

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd

Beautiful song. What even makes it more special as I was written from a very personal place. Most of my songs while only instrumentals were discovered from a very personal place. This is definitely my favorite song of yours. Well done.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd, I'll bet this scores some major points at home, with the wife and the daughters too. Another great write, production and vocals. You leave us all in awe with

your work. One very minor thing I would change and as you know mixing is all opinions, the strings are very effective with crescendo as David pointed out, but I

thought they got too loud. Loud enough that they drowned out the other instrumentation. Could just be my compromised hearing too. Great song, one of your best of

which there are many. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

This is very sweet... Love the sentiment and feel. Great job.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Guenter - thanks for the nice comments - and thanks for the heads up on the ugly crackle - I took care of it.

Dani - never meant to make ya cry, man... hang on to the good memories..

Joanne - thanks for that...

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Almost lost for words.

Even without the message, the song screams out "professional". Wonderful arrangement, great choice of RTs and the usual Radio-Ready mix.

Add in the inspired lyrics, delivered with a beautifully emotional voice and well...

I'm lost for words!

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good job Floyd.

Yeah, I can relate to that having raised 2 daughters....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Floyd,

Another outstanding job! Very well crafted and an excellent mix!
Your a machine! grin My beautiful wife & I will be celebrating 29 years on the 24th of this month. smile

Well Done!

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well thank you very much Floyd! Because of this wonderful song you may have just ruined it for every married male musician in the world!

My bride and I are approaching 50 years and I do have a song ready to go, thinking should I wait out the next five years before I publish it, cause hell in five years I may be in diapers unable to hold a guitar, or bite the bullet and do it now. Anyway I digress, I loved this song.

Re: The you ruined it for us part of this reply, I was just kidding, well sort of. grin

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

What a sweet story and song. Love everything about it.

Also congrats on 37 years!

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Floyd, Dude, really!!!!

That folks is how it's done!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice story, great song, excellent mix and soulful delivery.

There's a lot of solid craftsmanship in the writing.

I liked the way you snuck in the cello, built to full strings, and then thinned out the instruments again. Very effective.

David - Thanks for all that. So.. you do a lot of "string work"... did you feel the levels were a bit high? First time I've added strings and I struggled with them a bit...

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Outstanding lyrics and the emotion you put in the vocal brings it to life. Top notch work here, very well produced tune, thanks for sharing and congrats on the marriage.
[/url]

Robert - thanks. good to see you dropping by.

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Beautiful song. What even makes it more special as I was written from a very personal place. Most of my songs while only instrumentals were discovered from a very personal place. This is definitely my favorite song of yours. Well done.

Scott - every once in a while I still write something "real". Of course, there is a little "license" taken here as well. Thanks for the listen..

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Hey Floyd, I'll bet this scores some major points at home, with the wife and the daughters too. Another great write, production and vocals. You leave us all in awe with

your work. One very minor thing I would change and as you know mixing is all opinions, the strings are very effective with crescendo as David pointed out, but I

thought they got too loud. Loud enough that they drowned out the other instrumentation. Could just be my compromised hearing too. Great song, one of your best of

which there are many. Tom

Tom - Thanks. Like I mentioned to David, this is the first time I've added strings - and I played them in one pass - which took about 40 times before I got one without totally flubbing it. Trying to get the level right was surprisingly hard. I did re-mix (again!!!) and brought them down just a smidgen. However... they were intended to "take over" the chorus. Like a full orchestra behind the singer (me). Like Glen Campbell when he would play with an orchestra behind him. Or Neil Diamond. That kind of thing.

I would be interested in impressions from anyone who might want to chime in on the subject. If they don't "work", I'd like to know - no need to hold back opinions...

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I think the strings sound good, the level is ok to me. I thought the effect you you were going for (Glen C orchestra, etc) was pretty much achieved... I mean short of actually having a full orchestra. wink

I'm liking it!

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,
That is a wonderful song; the sentiments, the vocal delivery and the arrangement are all top class.

Strings are in my opinion notoriously difficult for us "home recordists" to get to sound accurate as there are SO many variables to play with. I just mention attack and decay of the individual instruments as an example.
Then there is the arrangement of the notes. If the chord change is G to C, for example, then the movement of the notes are important, as are the inversions of the chords for each section of the orchestra. eg: the notes are G B D to G C E, or G B D to E G C or B G D to C E G, (no passing notes mentioned here)

I sometimes use Cakewalk Studio Instruments in my arrangements in my string sections and I try to get the 3 instruments Bass, Cello and Violins,recorded individually, to stay in the range of their real counterparts. Which is <swear word> difficult mad to get to sound right as it takes as long to do that as it does to do the writing,singing and recording.
So I usually just dial up an orchestra patch in say EMU Proteus Free and play the chords and then add some movement after.....sometimes!!
I also use the CHORD track, which can be saved from a BIAB song, for this as all the notes are already displayed as midi and need some judicious transposing which then achieves a simplified version of movement. A few songs I have done have involved many versions of that track, with notes added by me and some notes of the same pitch "glued together". In a 2 bar version of the 1st example above, G B D to G C E, I occasionally glue the G's together and say split the G in the second bar at beat 2.
In my DAW, Cubase SX, there is a midi mute tool which I use a lot to try and keep a part to, say, a 2 note chord which moves. Usually done visually by looking at the piano roll with a chorus/verse fitting the screen.

Here is an article giving advice on Arranging for Strings which explains it better than I could.

BUT the song, The Girl Next Door is still as in my first paragraph. A wonderful listen.Well done, I assume the wife is proud to be the subject of such a wonderful song.

Alyn

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,594
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193