Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I've had this axe for about a year. In making a recording tonight, using it as a controller for the rather decent acoustic piano in Garritan Personal Orchestra, I found out one disappointment that had not yet hit me - there are no selectable velocity curves for this board. You get what you get. I used to use a velocity scaling vst that I could put before any soft-synth, but that was on a WinXp machine. Found the website with the plugin, but it's a rar archive and rarzilla says it won't unpack.

Number two - even though this is called a 'synth', there is no way to assign an envelope to the filter on most of the sound engines. I simply wanted to do a swelled cutoff on the polyphonic sample-playback mode of the keyboard. No can do. Can do it in the monophonic synth, but not the poly PCM sample playback sound engine.

Up til now, I've been pretty happy with it - but these were a 1-2 punch tonight.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 12/04/13 11:50 PM.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Scott if you either send me the rar file or tell me it’s exact location I will unpack it and send it to you. I still have a couple of XP machines with old software on them so I should be able to do this.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Mario,

I am pretty sure I have the VST already unpacked on my XP desktop. However, if you would like to give it a try, the file location is here:

http://www.platinumears.com/velocitycurvesm.html

BTW, the guy who wrote this plugin, is named Dan Worrall, and he is one of the best hired-guns for making DAW and plugin tutorial videos. He has a nice manner for teaching difficult to understand signal processing concepts.

This is a handy plugin to have around when it seems like the available velocity scaling in whatever controller you have at hand doesn't play nice with the plugin/sound module you are using.

I have found that in the XW-P1, there are two different curves available, accessible only through programming of individual 'performances', no global settings as a controller.

-Scott

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I seem to recall that Garritan Personal Orchestra does not use Standard MIDI commands for certain things.

You may want to take a look at that instead.

--Mac

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Here you go Bob: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97281321/Velocity%20Curve%20SM.dll

Let me know when you get it so I can take it down.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Mario, got it. What program did you use to unpack it?

Mac, the GPO I have runs inside of Kontakt player, so I'll see if there's any details - couldn't find anything last night as I was checking it out.

Looking at some other forum posts on Kontakt player, there is no direct control available - it's only available in the full version of Kontakt.

Here's the track that I recorded last night that has me a bit frustrated - I had to just barely kiss the keys with the left hand to keep them from being too loud, and you can hear the unnatural note onsets. Part of it is down to being an unweighted keyboard, but part of it is also a too sensitive mapping IMO.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/christmastime-is-here

-Scott

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Scott 7-zip was the program I used. 7-zip runs in Win 7 also. This is my main Zip/rar program, so far it has work on everything I have thrown at it.

I believe that Mac is thinking about the fact that Garritan’s programs uses the mod wheel for volume. I don’t know if you can change that in the Kontakt Player. In the full Kontakt I have a tab in left center of the screen call auto. If you click on auto/midi automation you can assign and CC to any assignable parameter that’s available. Check to see if you have that option in the player.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

Wait a minute.

Got to thinking about this last night, and realized that the XW-P1 also has the Casio Tonewheel Organ in it - and in all the other models I've used and played, that means that Touch is both adjustable and also can be turned off.

The .pdf manual I downloaded from Casio on this machine indicates that Touch is included in the parameters listed on p65.

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_XWP1-E-1B.pdf

There is also the Appendix of the manual here:

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_07S1APPEND-WL-1A.pdf

And then there is the MIDI implementation manual as well:

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/nil%20%28XWP1_G1_MIDI_E_WEB1203A%29.pdf

Scott, I think that you should reinvestigate the keyboard's settings and such, for the Velocity, called "Touch" in these manuals, should certainly be internally adjustable.

--Mac

R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Mac, you are right about the 'touch' as a sensitivity

However, there are also two 'curves', but they are only accessible in the 'performance' mode of the keyboard. I remember that I did the recording not with the keyboard in performance mode, but 'tone' mode, so I'm not even sure which of these modes was selected for the 'tone' patch I had it set to. There's a sensitivity range in each of these patches from -64 to +64, but I don't know if that is something that is transmitted to external MIDI. I believe that is just the sensitivity of the internal engine to velocity.

The only 'curves' are on the page you indicated, which again is for one mode of the XW-P1. I am pretty sure I did not have it set to that mode when I recorded the above.

I need to revisit.

Mario, I am going to take a look at 7zip. I didn't know it did un-rar.

-Scott

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Scott, there is only one MIDI engine inside the thing.

Therefore, if it is sending Touch data, which is usually applying software derived curves to the actual Velocity data, to the internal sound engine, it must be sending the same out the MIDI port.

--Mac

R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
OK, maybe I'm calling something the wrong thing. I got a little bit used to the velocity 'curves' available on my cheapo M-Audio Oxygen 49. Besides an overall slope or multiplier, which I believe is the 2 level 'touch' setting on the XW-P1, there were 9 different curves available. You can see them on page 13 of the Oxygen manual here:
http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/051014_OxyLine_UG-EN01_V1.PDF

These are not just a 'slope' but rather more like the input/output diagram of a fancy compressor that allows more than just a knee or soft-knee setting with ratio. Check them out. I don't remember which one I hit on with the Oxygen, but there was one that when I had it tied to GPO on the Steinway, was 'just poifect'! I left the thing that way until I ultimately sold the board a year and a half or so ago to help fund the XW-P1 purchase.

No worries, the .dll that Mario unrar'ed for me does exactly the same thing except rather than 9 fixed curves, it is user definable.

Ray had replied in this thread, but since deleted his post.

Ray, how have you gotten on with overdrive on the Drawbar organ engine? That's the other disappointment I forgot to mention. The XW-P1 does a GREAT job of crystal clean drawbar sounds. But I like me some dirt in my drawbar organ, and with the on-board DSP, the overdrive/distortion, is all fizzy and over-the-top. It's not usable. On the Privia PX5, they have it dialed in just right. But not on this board, unfortunately, IMO.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I know the M-Audio curves, use two of their larger products here daily, much the same in all. Nice. But those are designed only as Controllers and on such I've come to expect adjustable parameters such as that one. After all, the designers want to have the thing work with as many different synth solutions as customers can throw it at.

But I also use a couple of the Casios, mostly live, for their organs and some of the other sounds can't be beat for the money. Still, use as Controller is at best a secondary design issue with these beasts.

All you can do is experiment with the Touch controls once you find out how to change them, likely there's a setting or more that will at least improve things with an overly sensitive synth.

I've got another one, a Yamaha legacy keyboard, the old W7, completely loaded with all external sound boards made for it. Its default Touch is remarkably dainty, so much so that if I forget to go in there and reset it when it reverts to defaults, it is unplayable, even on the 001 Grand Piano. Darn "Organ Key" keyboards. And that is with its own internal sounds. As a controller, I've found not much in the way of hardware or software solutions that like the default velocities either. But that old synth has some sounds I still use from time to time, an Underscore Creator's beauty.

Can't imagine why anyone would shed an Oxygen, though. Very handy things they are.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
I realized that I shouldn't post about the XWP1 because I really haven't delved into the synth section. When I have to use it on a gig, I just use the piano and the drawbar organ. I think it's a great kybrd for under $500.00. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,628
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192