Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi folks,

Got one of these guitars cheaply many years ago at a pawn shop. Its a yamaha fg 140, nice tone and all but the action is terrible past the 5 fret. I took it to a guitar shop once in London to get it adjusted, but the guy said it wouldn't be worthwhile or practical to do, but funny thing is he wanted to buy it from me.

I did a google and it seems its from the early 70's.

Anyone ever got the action sorted on one of these?

many thanks

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

All really depends on the reason why the action is now raised.

Most common reason - and can indeed be an expensive repair -- is that the belly of the guitar has been pulled upwards by string tension. This can be easily determined by sighting across the top of the guitar from the side to see if it is "bellied up". This condition is often created by an owner leaving the guitar somewhere that is too hot, such as in a hot automobile in summer, which results in a weakening of the typical hide glues used in assembly, the top plate will no longer be held to the underlying braces by the compromised hide glue and the thin top is then pulled upwards by string tension. The problem is also "permanized" once the guitar is allowed to cool down again in that state.

Another possibility for high action like that could be a loosened neck joint. This one is easy to spot and not as expensive to fix as the above.

That particular model of the Yamaha is nice, but not a super-expensive one, many were made. I wouldn't read too much in the luthier's offer to purchase the guitar in that condition, maybe they intended to repair it or maybe they wanted it for parts, you never can tell. The luthier may also simply have wanted to "save" it from a worse fate.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks very much Mac for your reply. Just had a look at the guitar again, doesn't seem to be anything to do with the belly of the guitar warping under string tension or neck either. I have just this feeling this is the way it was made, measured the action and its about 3mm at 5 fret and 5mm at 12 fret, also seems to be well enough in tune throughout the fingerboard up the neck and the harmonics are all sounding right at 12 fret. Its ok for strumming up the the 5 fret but above I find the action to be too high.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Take it to a guitar tech that you feel you can trust, have the neck tension adjusted and possibly the saddle lowered. A decent tech should have no problem with this set up if the belly is ok. If you've never done this type of work before, and want to learn, there's lots of stuff on Google and this guitar is not a real expensive one that you have to be concerned about. Most amature mistakes are correctable by a tech anyway.

Rob

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
What Rob said.

And it also pays to get a second or third opinion if the cost seems high.

--Mac

Off-Topic
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
the Yamaha fg 140 , 160 & 180 all have very high actions, they were built like that. Its a shame BUT they are very good sounding guitars & many studios around the world have one in the corner just in case they need a better sound that the musicians own guitar. I have a 160 & its has a wonderful sound.

Last edited by bupper; 12/03/10 05:58 AM.
Off-Topic
M
M
I have one I bought (first guitar purchase) over 40 years ago and it still sounds great. I have had the action adjusted a couple of times but its still a high action. Does anyone know if its possible to change out the neck completely?
I would consider a different neck altogether with a better action but I do love the guitar sound and want to be able to play it without my hands straining so much

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
A little off topic but I have a Yahama FG 335. It is really a great sounding instrument. I friend of the family found it sitting in a closet and gave it to me. Anyone know anything about this model?

Todd
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
musiclover:

There's a guy at the Larrivée forums (www.larriveeforum.com) who goes by username 'Sneaky'. He lives in Japan. He has acquired countless Yamaha classical guitars for dirt cheap, and has likely seen whatever issue you are pointing to on that specific model of guitar and would likely respond to a PM if you have photos.

He might even be able to answer your neck swap question.

Some of the FG series from that era ARE desirable, if I recall Sneaky's many posts on the topic. (He is always sending shots of his latest score in the forum).

-Scott

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Miracleroom
I have one I bought (first guitar purchase) over 40 years ago and it still sounds great. I have had the action adjusted a couple of times but its still a high action. Does anyone know if its possible to change out the neck completely?
I would consider a different neck altogether with a better action but I do love the guitar sound and want to be able to play it without my hands straining so much

Why change the neck completely?

If all else is fine -- and a qualified luthier or technician ascertains that the high action is due to neck mounting -- the original neck can be removed and repositioned to lower the action.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,533
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200