#227183 12/09/13 09:57 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
E
elkayem Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
E
I received my hard drive in the the mail today and tried to install it on my desktop. Unfortunately, my overly vigilant Norton Antivirus software labelled all the installers as Trojan viruses and deleted them off the hard drive! Some we're stuck in quarantine, and one disappeared entirely (bandinabox_realband_setup.exe). Guess I'll need to wait until tomorrow to ask PGMusic for another copy of that setup file.

Meanwhile, beware BIAB users! Disable Norton before installing, or you too may wind up with a neutered installation hard drive.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Many people in the UK have written about avoiding Norton at all costs as it seems to cause all kinds of problems. For many years now I have simply used Microsoft Security Essentials as my antivirus system. It is free and directly available from MS and seems to run nice and efficiently in the background. I am sure other will chime in also about Norton.

Sorry to hear about your problems I am sure PG will sort you out. In your circumstances might be better to disengage from the internet when you are installing and disable any antivirus at that time.

If you do decide to uninstall Norton you will need to download a special tool from Norton to properly remove everything. You cannot operate two antivirus systems at the same time and if you don't remove all traces of Norton it will conflict with any other antivirus system you install.

N
N
Originally Posted By: elkayem
I received my hard drive in the the mail today and tried to install it on my desktop. Unfortunately, my overly vigilant Norton Antivirus software labelled all the installers as Trojan viruses and deleted them off the hard drive! Some we're stuck in quarantine, and one disappeared entirely (bandinabox_realband_setup.exe). Guess I'll need to wait until tomorrow to ask PGMusic for another copy of that setup file.

Meanwhile, beware BIAB users! Disable Norton before installing, or you too may wind up with a neutered installation hard drive.

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. That shouldn't happen! I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team.

Were you able to restore all the files from the Quarantine History? It would be great if you can submit the file to us at http://www.Norton.com/fp so we can review it and white list it?

Let me know if you need any help!

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

Veteran
Veteran
Sheesh, these guys are giving me a bad name wink (I'm older than Peter Norton, so I had the name first)

I left Norton AV years ago when it bogged down my system, slowing it to a crawl and went with a competitor. I understand they have fixed that problem, but the competitor is working just fine so I see no need to go back.

But I do use Norton Ghost to back up and image my hard drives.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
I jettisoned Norton a few years ago -> after some otherwise harmless sudden PC shutdown the product unexpectedly asked me for a new validation key. I had the choice of purchasing a new validation key - albeit the current key should have been valid for another half a year or so - or just turn to a different product ...

Martin
E
elkayem Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
E
Originally Posted By: NortonSupport

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. That shouldn't happen! I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team.

Were you able to restore all the files from the Quarantine History? It would be great if you can submit the file to us at http://www.Norton.com/fp so we can review it and white list it?

Let me know if you need any help!

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

Wow, I certainly didn't expect Symantec to respond to this post. That was quick!

I didn't mean for this to turn into a Norton bashing session. I actually like Norton (that's why I use it). It has saved my bacon a few times.

In this case, Norton wasn't shy about deleting files directly off my shiny new hard drive (yes, the new ones are shiny). Some of the files were in the quarantine, but not all. When I get my files restored, I will submit them to Symantec for review so others don't have the same problem. Maybe PGMusic already did, but if not, I will politely suggest that PGMusic should be submitting these files to the various AV software vendors prior to release.

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
You should be able to download the files from the PGM site if you can't recover them from the hdd.

E
elkayem Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
E
Originally Posted By: BarryKJ
You should be able to download the files from the PGM site if you can't recover them from the hdd.

Where? Link? I emailed pgmusic support yesterday but so far have heard nothing. Hard drive is pretty useless without installation files.

Veteran
Veteran
FYI, the file you seek is 341 Megabytes. Not huge to send, but standard email won't work.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

Where? Link? I emailed pgmusic support yesterday but so far have heard nothing. Hard drive is pretty useless without installation files.

Maybe you did not check "email delivery" option when ordering?

If you don't hear from support reply to your email, don't hesitate to contact pgmusic Sales more directly, either thru one of the tollfree hotlines listed on the main page that may work for where you are located, or via chat. Repeat email, too, with a new one, just in case.

I'm sure that the fine and honest good folks at PG music will get you straightened out, likely will send you a link to a download.

--Mac

E
elkayem Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
E
Hi Mac, yes I have the links from email delivery, but the setup files are different on email vs hard drive. I have no doubt PGmusic is currently overwhelmed with tech support and will eventually get back to me.

N
N
[
Wow, I certainly didn't expect Symantec to respond to this post. That was quick!

I didn't mean for this to turn into a Norton bashing session. I actually like Norton (that's why I use it). It has saved my bacon a few times.

In this case, Norton wasn't shy about deleting files directly off my shiny new hard drive (yes, the new ones are shiny). Some of the files were in the quarantine, but not all. When I get my files restored, I will submit them to Symantec for review so others don't have the same problem. Maybe PGMusic already did, but if not, I will politely suggest that PGMusic should be submitting these files to the various AV software vendors prior to release. [/quote]

That would be great! Thank you!

Vineeth
Norton Support

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: funkycornwall
For many years now I have simply used Microsoft Security Essentials as my antivirus system.

Same here. I fix computers for a living and can't tell you the amount of customers I have persuaded to switch and save money. Sure Norton and others like it "MAY" protect you more in certain conditions, "MAY". But I've seen much adware and malware get onto computers and the big boy securities ignore it. subscription security cost money every year and slows your computer down, adds lag which personally I hate. The amount of people who complain about their computers running slow and most times it's their security doing it. Most people I see buy budget computers which have poor performing CPU's so the Nortons of this world do a very good job at making things busy which leaves the computer sluggish - CPU over load.

I used to use AVG free but now found it terrible! Microsoft Security Essentials is good.

Last edited by PaulH; 12/11/13 03:25 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
In your situation, I'd contact PG support via phone.
They can tell you which file(s) you need to download and install.
You may need the 'program' download and installing everything on that may give you everything you need (even if it re-installs some parts over the existing).

I'm guessing this is an easy fix, just need to reach out to them for help. I'd use phone, remembering they are west coast Canada as far as time zone.

Last edited by rharv; 12/11/13 05:20 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
P
Paj Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
Geez---Ya think this issue should be posted as an alert on the website?

DON'T PANIC!

I had absolutely nothing left in any of the folders on my USB drive after a full install and the files that were appearing in the root directory "Could Not Be Found." Then I rebooted the computer and everything reappeared on the USB drive and behaved normally.

Paj
8^}

Is the Bonus 12-Pak installing all of the Bonus 6-Pak files? A 101-riffs file from the 6-Pak didn't seem to install.

Last edited by Paj; 12/11/13 10:01 PM.
E
elkayem Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
E
All is good. Thank you PGMusic for coming to my rescue! I received a Dropbox link from PGMusic today that had the missing setup files. Most of the time, Norton AV will put a suspicious file in quarantine. However, some of the installation files are big (hundreds of MB) so it outright deleted the large ones. Unfortunately, the installation files on the hard drive are different than the downloadable ones I received links to on the day I purchased, so I was stuck until I received the Dropbox link. I've submitted the files to Symantec so hopefully no one else encounters this issue. At least until BIAB 2014.5...

Veteran
Veteran
PG Music has always had great customer support.

When I used Norton AV, they always had very good customer support.

Customer support is essential in an any business, and especially software.

Reports of both good and bad support are always appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback.
Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195