Print Thread
Go To
#229456 12/19/13 02:41 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi everyone.

I've been trying to find out for a while now what genre of drums you sometimes hear added to a track played along with real drums (not RealDrums in BIAB)? In the song below, early on in the song you will hear a subtle drum rythm, probably a loop added but what type of drum loops are they and where can I get them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtwIT8JjddM

Last edited by PaulH; 12/19/13 08:10 AM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Bing, "Cajon"

And I doubt those are loops on that particular recording, likely a live player.

The Cajon is a wonderful thing to have in the home studio.

As well as many other hand percussion instruments, various tambourines, triangles, finger cymbals, larger cymbals, both sticks and soft mallets, any of the handheld Latin Percussion instruments, bell trees, cowbells, Kalimbas, Bongos, etc. etc.

Of course, Loops of just about all of 'em are also available, too.

Studying the sound of percussion instruments is where this really starts, one can't pick and choose properly without a knowledge of them and recorded examples showing how they are best put to use.

--Mac

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Recording a Cajon can be a bit of a challenge in the typical home studio space - I speak from personal experience on this.

Room acoustics can be a boon or a major frustration here. Where the cajon is in the room, where the hole is pointing and where you place a mic (try to keep it simple with a single mic at first) really needs either:

1. two people, one to play and one to crawl around the room listening for where the boom and crack can be picked up at one location.

2. 1 person, but with isolating earphones and earmuffs over top of the earphones that can also rove a microphone and listen while playing. I know where you can get great isolating earphones (PM me) and I recommend the 3M X5A earmuffs for this purpose - this allows you to hear what the mic hears with minimal sound transmission from the room through the muffs and phones.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
BTW, Paul, we do this song both with a full rock band, as well as a stripped down acoustic number where the percussionist has only a Djembe and tambourine available. We use one of those little Audio Technical mics that are normally flown over a choir, mounted down near the floor down by the bottom of the Djembe. The player lifts the Djembe when those big kick sounds are desired on the breaks.

I will differ with Mac in that I think that this is just a percussion loop that rolls in the background rather than a live cajon player, and it fades out for most of the song. The percussion that is going in the background, to my ear, lacks the 'crack' of most cajon sounds. All of Mac's other statements about the cajon, however, I agree with. Take note that a bunch of the 1/8th note chugging going on in this particular example is the high end of acoustic guitar and mandolin strumming. You can get most of the feel for this song without a percussion loop or cajon simply by high pass filtering (quite high, 1500 Hz and above by my guess) either chorded or even just palm muted acoustic guitar strumming. This version of the song is the local radio cut for here in Colorado Springs. I have the CD and it doesn't have the mandolin on it

There are many places to get percussion loops for free or for purchase. For free, I'll point you to the guy who hosts my website: http://rekkerd.org/loops/ He runs worship at his church in the Netherlands.

If you are looking to drop some money on a Cajon (seems like you have a pile of play money right now!), a co-worker of mine is an endorsee of Kopf Percussion cajons - I've seen what he plays for them and it's very impressive compared to my Meinl cajon. Might be too pricey to ship internationally. I used to own a Pearl - which I found at a local thrift shop for $35 - and sold it for the same to a struggling worship leader here in town. If you to shop for a cajon, get one with tunable snares and learn how to tighten/loosen the snares.

I tell you what - it's been a long time since I've done a collaboration with anyone overseas - I love this song, and I would be honored to give you a hand with some of the parts including acoustic and cajon playing/recording. Send me a PM if you are interested.

-Scott

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks guys. Never thought about the cajon?

Thanks for your offer Scott. I'm not thinking of doing this song, I just posted it up to show what I was trying to find?

I have been on a deep spending spree since BIAB 2014 came out - but have yet to buy BIAB! I wouldnt agree that I have a ton of money to spend, more like borrow from paul to pay peter smile I've been disappointed with my vocals so I have spent money to improve on it - new mic, pop shiled, vocal filter, Mic Mechanic, and now bought EZdrummer, Latin percussion, EZmix 2, EZkeys Essential Pianos. Next may be BIAB upgrade but I have my reservations? Last on my list is a set of monitors but that will have to wait due to lack of funds and space.

Scott, I'll keep you in mind for some help if you don't mind. I have a bunch of stuff to learn and try out at the moment as I navigate through producing some songs I wrote some 20 years ago. Problem with me is I don't know when to stop tweaking! But I may very well take you up on the offer in some way.

Paul

Last edited by PaulH; 12/20/13 09:07 AM.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Paul, it's 'Scott' for future reference. That's quite a list of stuff. I wouldn't be able to keep track of all the 'new'.

-Scott

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

I will differ with Mac in that I think that this is just a percussion loop that rolls in the background rather than a live cajon player, and it fades out for most of the song. The percussion that is going in the background, to my ear, lacks the 'crack' of most cajon sounds.

And that very fact was the giveaway.

The purchased Loops emphasize the Cracks in just about every sample, getting the performance we have here may be loops, but if so, the lack of the Cracks plus the long length with differing slaps in each iteration indicates otherwise to my ears.

So I think they likely recorded a live player at some point, directed not to crack or deciding personally not to, in order to fit the tracks.

And we don't know if the cajon player played actually just for the intro or played all the way thru and the rest happened between Producer, Artist and Mix Engineer to get what we hear on the finished production. Meaning there may even be some EQ, Compression and certainly Gain Staging applied to that track.

But because Loops are typically made by making pcm digital recordings of live players anyway, the only definitive answer would have to come from someone on the inside of the production.

--Mac

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PaulH
...EZdrummer, Latin percussion, ...

If you don't have a cajon yet, I'd highly recommend getting one. It's a ton of fun to play, and works well as a substitute for a drum. My kids play one in their choir along with a ride cymbal, and use brushes and Blastix for variety. You can get a kick, snare and sidestick sound out of it. If you're on a budget (who isn't?), Meinl has a do-it-yourself cajon for $60.

You mentioned you've got the Toontrack Latin Percussion EZX, so you've already got a sampled cajon to play with. However, that's the "classic" cajon without snares.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,031
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian
38,514 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185