#233453 01/07/14 04:51 AM
RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
After a number of problems my Creative XFi has died the death. It had a number of good features and an excellent ASIO driver. I am using the in-built RealTek soundcard for now - quite good in some respects.

Any recommendations for a replacement soundcard with an ASIO driver?? Anyone using an external soundcard via an USB port??

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by LynB; 01/07/14 04:52 AM.
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you haven't removed the Creative card, cleaned its contacts with alcohol wipe and reinserted it after allowing the alcohol to dry, by all means try that first. I've seen it bring the assumed "dead" card back to life several times on different machines. On one other machine, it was not the Creative card at all, it turned out to be a faulty PSU in the puter. Replacing the PSU brought the card back to full operation again. This even though the rest of the computer appeared to be working just fine.

Take a hard look at the Presonus VSL.

Unfortunately, the days of the wonderful built in MIDI sampler and the Creative cards are evidently gone forever. Far too few of us turned out to be MIDIOT enough to justify the endeavor, boo.

of course, you might find a working used original Live! card still out there...

--Mac

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I ALWAYS recommend an external USB based sound card or more properly called an Interface. An internal interface card is fine but it is limiting in some ways. With the externals, when you upgrade the computer you simply plug it into the new computer, and load the software and you're up and running. Also, an external can easily travel with you to any gig. Besides that, a laptop can't use any of the internals.

My Focusrite Saffire(love that thing) is now one of the oldest components in my studio. It worked on my lappy and now works on my 5 year old desk top custom built DAW machine..... flawlessly. It is not a USB interface, it is a firewire interface, however, today, I would opt for a USB interface. At the time FW was faster than the USB1 ports but with USB2 and now USB3 is coming out, go with USB since it has faster data rates now than firewire. In addition, firewire can be a bit picky with chip compatibility issues.

Look at the focusrite, M-Audio, Presonus, and Roland models. Be certain they use native ASIO drivers and not the codec or wrappers. Most of the better ones will automatically fit that category.

Select one based on functions and features (not looks or hype) which should include, 2 inputs (both hi & low Z) phantom power, outputs as needed. The more outputs you have the better off you will be in the long run. Be certain the interface has built in clean preamps. Many now have this but always check. Focusrite is known for their pristine preamps.

I would expect to pay around $200 to $300 for a nice interface with the features and functions I would be seeking. It really would not hurt one bit to take a trip and visit the big box MUSIC stores. (avoid best buy and similar places) Hit Sam Ash and Guitar Center types. They have pro audio departments and generally, the guys and gals working those departments can offer some really good advice. I would recommend letting them know up front, you're just "window shopping" to get ideas on price, features, etc so you can make a decision. You do have to be careful as they will at times try to steer you into buying something the manager is pushing as a sales item. Avoid the ALL-IN-ONE gizmos.... mixer, guitar emulator, soundcard/interface all in one. Get a good solid interface and you will be happy. If you want a mixer, buy a mixer, if you want a guitar emulator, buy a POD.....but please don't mix them.

The bottom line.... educate yourself first, before you spend the money. Get the interface that best suits your needs.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
The Presonus AudioBox USB meets all of the requirements above. It is relatively inexpensive, rugged, and reliable. I can wholeheartedly recommend it, with one small reservation which may only apply to my setup.

After a move I reconnected everything, but apparently plugged the AudioBox into a different port. One of my applications (Propellerhead Reason) "lost" it, which is common with USB. However, with this unit it is necessary to uninstall the drivers. Unfortunately, there is no automated routine to do this. Last time I checked it was necessary to go into the Registry and edit it manually, which is a royal pain, and not up to Presonus' usual standard of excellence.

On the other hand, all of my other apps still see it, notably BIAB and RealBand, so this may not be an issue for you. Otherwise the thing seems to be bulletproof. Mac's recommendation of the VSL is a good one; it has some special features which you may find interesting, if it is in your budget.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The Presonus VSL is a newer model than the Audiobox, I recommend it over the Audiobox for several improvements and the fact that the newer design "ought" to be more future-proof.

Street Price is rather nice considering what you get, too.

--Mac

RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Hi Mac,

I have used a whole succession of EMU then Creative Cards over 16 years and have removed them, cleaned the connections used a soldering iron on several bad joints, but this one refuses to fire up. I can still get the same model, but I think that I will explore other types. I too regret the loss of the Midi Synths of the Creative Cards but Creative are more interested in Games. I can still use my collection of soundfonts via VSampler. Odd, I have just received notice of a Windows update for the Creative FXi WMD - problems withe original one was why a used the ASIO driver.

Hi Guitarhacker and Ryszard.

Thanks for input - I will report back in due course.

Incidentally, one of my monitors has been damaged by whatever it was that caused the problem in the first place.

Lyn

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I second everyone suggestions as well Herb gets stellar results with Focusrite, and they are hard to beat. I have as some others do the Presonus. Great interfaces, with one exception. I have the 1818 VSL, and it seems a little shakier driver wise than the other smaller units, at least from what i am reading. I hear on the forum Presonus is working on a new driver for the 1818 as wee speak, hopefully real soon it will be out with some cool enhancements. I do not hear this about the 22 VSL or the 44 VSL. They seem fine.

I love the VSL it seems to set Presouns apart a bit, although Focusrite has a effects suite built in as well i thing the VSL is a tad more complete and forward. I do think any of these are great units. What Guitarhacker said about native ASIO is important.

Lastly one of the big advantages i see to Presonus over any others is the free Studio one artist version software. Artist only real limitation is that it does not allow third party Plugins with a few exceptions like Melodyne, kontakt, and a couple more. But other than that it is a real nice DAW that seems to back up BiaB/RB very nicely. maybe not quite as feature rich as Sonar yet, but certainly very powerful. If you have melodyne Studio one was the first to add ARA integration so that audio editing in Melodyne was only a click away and seamless. Also their version of track lanes or comping is so simple and easy. Studio one artist comes with a nice effects suite, and even the really cool fat channel strip, and a basket load of samples and looped content. Oh and fat channel is built into the interface as well.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Use this:

http://recordingreview.com/soundcard/search.php

it's an online tool to help narrow down to what you actually need and then it gives you the name and model and price.

Just found it in an email this morning from a musical site

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: LynB
Hi Mac,

I have used a whole succession of EMU then Creative Cards ........ I too regret the loss of the Midi Synths of the Creative Cards but Creative are more interested in Games. I can still use my collection of soundfonts via VSampler. ......

Incidentally, one of my monitors has been damaged by whatever it was that caused the problem in the first place.

Lyn

I started with an EMU PCI card.... that thing was hateful. I had to call tech support every single time I wanted to record because their software interface (Patchmix) for the card was the most difficult thing I have ever worked with.

Creative cards and others with built in synths..... you will get so much better sounding synths if you switch to using soft synths rather than the built in GM synths... Same deal with sound fonts. They are old technology and have been, for the most part, replaced by the much better sounding sampled libraries of modern synths. I'm not knocking fonts because I started with them myself and have a bunch on my laptop, but I have not used them in 5 years or more since I started using sampled sounds.

audio monitor? yeah, you need to find that problem and resolve it..... you don't want to lose more gear to something like that.... could have been a surge..... I use surge suppressed devices WITH battery back up on all my computer gear. A brown out or a blink can wreak havoc on your studio gear just as quickly as a surge. Protect that internet line too...

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/07/14 11:58 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Hi Guitarhacker,

I think the Monitor is a write off, but the cause, I don't know. I do have surge suppression in place but this hasn't registered anything.

I do have a number of internal and external synths with thousands of younger samples, however, I still find that I have some sounfonts which work better is some circustances. Horses for courses.

Thanks for the web address will look at it soonest - hopefully today. This problem is the least of my concerns at the moment as my wife has been taken to Hospital for various exrays and MRI scans. Perhaps they could sort out the Soundcard at the same time.

Lyn

RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Hi Guitarhacker,

Great site which has indentified far more than I expected with features to compare for selected prices.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Use this:

http://recordingreview.com/soundcard/search.php

it's an online tool to help narrow down to what you actually need and then it gives you the name and model and price.

Just found it in an email this morning from a musical site

Herb, that's a great link. Excellent starting point. Thanks for sharing
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW I think I have a couple Live cards laying around here still. Shipping across the pond may be an issue though.
I'm sure I have at least one .. with the daughter board I think, I may have given one away previously.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Some progress - I have identified the problem with the Monitor and repared it (I hope).

I know a young man who advised me regarding the construction of my previous DAW which was a great success. He now has his own PC Shop and said that, if I bring the DAW in, he will run the rule over it and advise.

Hi Bob,

I have dumped my last Audigy board which I had hoped to install but found that the slots did not match up.

Last edited by LynB; 01/09/14 03:37 AM.
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
What was the problem with the monitor?

There may just be a clue as to what happened to the sound lurking in that...

--Mac

RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Hi Mac ,

I put it down to dirty connections, but I have had these problems on and off for some months, recovered at least three times but could not decide whether the problems were SC or Speakers or both. I have removed the monitors and will replace them before re-fitting a repaired or new soundcard.

Lyn

Last edited by LynB; 01/10/14 02:39 AM.
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The mini jacks on Creative cards are notorious for broken solder joints, broken pc board traces, and should be examined carefully visually for such as well as a bit of mechanical wiggling and otherwise disturbing the plugs in the jacks while sound is playing through them. This goes double for the case where heavy plugs, cords, or adaptors are placing an undo moment angle on the little jacks.

Resolder usually corrects, in the case of broken PCB trace, adding a bit of fine copper wire to bridge the broken trace after scraping it clean and shiny, then soldering, provides a bit of mechanical robustness to the connection.

Also recall one situation where the plastic in one of the jacks had cracked for the Line Input, of course that necessitated ordering up the proper replacement jack. (If it had been my own card, would have just "pigtailed" whatever jack I had through the hole, soldering wires to the board and passing the tiny cable out the hole where the jack should be to an inline jack of whatever I had in the "junk box" in the way of a stereo mini jack.)

The electronics of the cards themselves are hard to kill, actually, although I've seen it. Both cases were result of direct powerline lightning hits, though, and the soundcards were the least of those customer's problems at that point.

--Mac

RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Hi Mac,

I think you are correct. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate the problems(Plural) and have decided to replace the Card with a similar PCI Card. The USB Modules I will explore further when I upgrade my Tablet to a Laptop.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Lyn

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,174
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185