Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
OK! I am not saying that anyone can’t get signed in the music business today! Is this a false hope in the music business in 2014 now or not? I am not a professional songwriter or anything I just play around with music just like most of us on this forum do. Since 2008 I and a friend have been Persuing songwriting. Late in 2010 my friend focused his attention in a different direction. So, we are not writing songs any longer together. Well, I myself have decided to kind of try to still reach for the brass ring but I am not sure at all how to do that. Some of the songs that I have written in the past I have shared on this forum but not all of them. I try to write about 3 songs per week since 2010 but I am not sure how to approach this thing about getting signed. I don’t really know that much about the music business nor do I want to, but since I want to get signed I suppose that I better bone up on it. I don’t have the first or slightest idea on how to approach this thing. I had heard in the past that it was ok to send out a demo to other record companies just to see if the are interested in signing you, but! Does it still work this way? I, at one time before I started writing my own songs was going to send out a demo of cover songs to record companies because of my singing voice just to see if the would recognize my talent. Then someone else enlightened me that you can’t do it that way anymore. As, I didn’t do that either. Since, I started writing my own songs though I own all copyrights and can do as I please with them. Well, the fact remains I don’t know how to Persuing this, but any help would be appreciated. Since 2010 I have written many, many songs and they are just sitting around on CD collecting dust. So, again I ask is getting signed to a record label dead or not. What I mean is it still possible to get signed by using the older method? Or, do I just try to release my own music over time. Most all of my creations are done with “Band in a Box” 2010, 2011, 2011.5 and 2013 so, let me know what you think. I have taken the time to write my many songs but, it’s just a waste if I don’t do something with it. At times I do have some people help me but together some BIAB creations that I just can't get, but most of the other ones I have done myself with the help of the tool in BIAB where it helps you create a chord progression. I then, tweak it to my liking, make up the words and the tune. I use a DAW to add what kind of effects I want and change some of the chording that sounds off to me. Then I complete these creations in my "MR8 HD CD" to a finished product. But, anyhow, I just thought I would mention how I write my songs. So, any info would be helpful on getting signed to a contract.

Last edited by trapper456; 01/09/14 03:37 PM. Reason: To add some thoughts

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Based on what I have read/seen, here is my opinion on how to make it.

As an artist
1.) build a local live following that will buy your merchandise and support you
2.) expand to larger areas as you get better and more well known
3.) have great songs on youtube that can reach a larger audience.
4.) Once you have proven regional success, then you will become attractive to record companies.

Hey, if you can't get 5,000 fans on your own that will buy your music, why would a record company want you?

As an writer
1.) Write, write ,write as many songs as you can until your skills are good (as determined by whatever method you choose).
2.) Become a known entity at all the open mics and writers nights in your area and become friends with artists by supporting them.
3.) Work yourself into co-writing with local artists. Probably need to have a few writing sessions a week.
4.) Start visiting major music centers (Nashville, LA, New York, ... -- based on what market you want to break into) regularly and make contact with writers there (again -- writer's nights, open mics, etc.). Make friends and show your support.
5.) Start the co-writing ball going in those music centers.
6.) Keep doing that and still keep doing 1, 2 and 3. It's a long haul.

Can you make lightening strike with a viral youtube video? Maybe, but that occurrence is probably outside basic laws of probability.

These tv shows (american idol, x-factor, the voice, ...) are another way -- but the odds are extremely low in that area also! From what I understand, ALL of the folks on The Voice are already professionals that have already put the time in and have "sponsors" in the music industry.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What Kevin said, every bit of it. I would add that part of the threshold for getting signed was once being able to demonstrate having 100,000 or more followers. This is an old number. Members of Fleetwood Mac said once in an interview that they wouldn't be able to get signed now. My understanding is that Taylor Swift raised the bar (and set records) by attracting multiple millions of viewers to her offerings on Youtube.

Another thing that shouldn't matter, but does, is being young and good looking. Every once in a while a Susan Boyle or [exception of your choice--I can't think of anyone offhand] comes along and makes it big, but they have monumental talent to punch through this particular glass ceiling. Such artists tend to prove the rule by being the exception.

Maybe you meet all of those criteria; if so the best of luck to you (which would be another unwritten requirement).

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Kevin had some really good advice for you. like pretty much any endeavor you have to really work your butt off for years and years before you become an "overnight success"! smile heck, John Lennon and crew wrote and played for almost 5 years before auditioning for Decca who turned them down! but they kept at it and we all know how that worked out!!

unfortunately there is no guarantee that all of that hard work will yield one thin dime! I know extremely talented singer-songwriters with professionally produced and critically well received CDs who work full-time non-music jobs to pay the bills.

if you are seriously interested in "making it" in the business I'd suggest that you review some of the competition you'll be facing so you'll know whether your current songs make the grade or if there are things you still need to work on. there are some decent songs in this forum but if you really want to be blown away check out some of the songs here http://forums.taxi.com/forwards-f2.html?sid=143ec5b6b2241dc85793367487dee0f1

many Taxi members are extremely professional and are heavily investing in their music. when I reviewed songs there I found lots of folks who write songs and then have them professionally performed, recorded, mixed and mastered before they even try to submit them to potential buyers. you cannot expect a busy record exec or TV producer to listen to your song for its potential when they are receiving chart-ready demos from many other people.

so, hard work, improvements where needed, more hard work, persistence, write, write, write, more hard work, network, submit your songs to places like Taxi, release your CD, play live and create a fanbase, more hard work. Rinse and repeat! laugh And who knows, you just might be the next big chart topper!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 01/09/14 07:22 PM.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
oh and what Richard said...if you are young and good-looking that's a huge plus!

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
VERY young and really good lookin', that is.

Talent optional.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The original post was hard to read; more white space needed.
May be a clue in there for his song writing, I dunno. Just figgered I'd mention it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sly,

Sometimes when someone talks about getting signed they are talking about being a superstar. I'm sure this is not your expectation, but some of the above responses (mine in particular) have been slanted that way.

There is also the possibility of being signed to an independent ("indie") label. Small record companies are more specialized and more in tune with both their artists and audiences. However, whatever the scale, there is always the need to see a return in the form of sales. You still have to sell product, which again translates to having a following. The way to do this has been laid out in the first response. There are any number of good books on the music business which teach you how to market your music in greater detail.

One more thing. You have to make a realistic appraisal of your own abilities. Does your music appeal to audiences and record executives? I've listened to some of your stuff and I'm not sure. You have a fair command of the software, but the quality of your performances varies. The key thing is to believe in yourself and produce, i.e., create a body of work, regardless of feedback from others. If everyone tells you you suck, maybe you do. If the response is mixed, I'd say you're doing about right.

It's easy to be discouraged, although this doesn't seem to be a problem for your. It only takes one person with a vision to help you succeed. I've heard Bob Dylan was rejected by a hundred A&R people before he was signed to a deal. I've heard of another songwriter who wrote over a thousand songs which were recorded, but makes a good living off the royalties from about 20 of them which were bona fide hits.

I would avoid the temptation to have a bunch of CDs made, because in all likelihood you will end up owning a bunch of unsold CDs. Get some material behind you, get some of it professionally mixed and mastered, then arrange for digital release via Amazon, iTunes, and/or other outlets. But be sure you have done good promotion first, or that won't go anywhere, either.

Above all, do as the good doctor suggests--Have Fun!

HTH,

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Kemmrich I do see what you are saying. Over the past fe years I have written many songs. I just finished another today that makes 433 songs. As I mentioned since 2010 I have written 3 songs per week, so I have sharpened my songwriting skills somewhat but I would like to do more with them. I have tried YouTube, but I have found to get a substantial number of hits you have to pay for the advertising. Now, the reason that I did not release all 433 songs on YouTube or on this forum is because a record company may not accept it if people have already heard it. If you release it on the internet it, being your song is exposed to the public and the record companies don't want that. If you have the next big hit they don't want you to release it until they put the big money machine behind it. I have read enough articles to understand this. I really do appreciate all your information and will save it to my computer to use it. Thank you, you have been very kind in your response to my post.

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Well, Richard thanks for all the good advice I find that every tidbit of information that I get on this subject may come in handy more than one way or another. I can always use the helpful info that I get here.

Members of Fleetwood Mac said once in an interview that they wouldn't be able to get signed now.

If this is really true then my chances may not be so good but a guy does have to try even if it doesn’t do any good. I love my day job and will keep it because you never know if you will get signed or not. But, why bring yourself down before you even get started. Is that not what taking chances are all about? Fleetwood Mac is still very good to this day but they are already established and have had their day in the sun. There is always room for one more in the industry. It might be you, me, or anyone on this form or on the face of this planet for that fact, but, if you try, at least you can say that you tried and maybe failed, but at least you can say that you did try.

Taylor Swift raised the bar (and set records) by attracting multiple millions of viewers to her offerings on YouTube.

Taylor Swift has very good music, but I have never really been a fan. They way that many of these big name stars get views is, is that they or the record company they work with have a massive budget to pay for advertising and the whole nine yards. What I have read, is, is that some record companies use very unscrupulous ways of getting the traffic generated that they need to make them into stars. Take Lady Ga, Ga, for example when YouTube did some house cleaning on her views they found that she had many fake views and lost a massive amount of views due to the nature of how she got the hits. So, many of these big name stars are getting the hits through suspect means.

Another thing that shouldn't matter, but does, is being young and good looking.

Well, I am not bad looking, but I am not the youngest either so the young part got me. I am 47, but that does not mean that I could not become a staff writer and write for other people either.

Every once in a while a Susan Boyle or [exception of your choice--I can't think of anyone offhand] comes along and makes it big, but they have monumental talent to punch through this particular glass ceiling. Such artists tend to prove the rule by being the exception.

Now, I can sing exceptionally well, I can sing like artist like, Josh Groban, paoverati and others. I can't sing in Latin but I can sing in this genre. I would not be able to prove it by example, because if I did a demo that would be considered copyright infringement. I see many people uploading karaoke’s on YouTube, so I am going to do some research and maybe even take a risk and record "You Raise Me Up" Just to give you an example of what my vocals are capable of. Just to prove that I am not just blowing hot air. Who knows maybe someone will see it that has the power of the recording contract.

Maybe you meet all of those criteria; if so the best of luck to you (which would be another unwritten requirement).

If I do make it, I will post it all over the internet and say thanks to all the people on this form for you're kind words and help.:) anyhow thanks for the helpful information to everyone who gave it.

Richard

Last edited by trapper456; 01/09/14 11:48 PM. Reason: to fix a line gap error

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Now that is very helpful. I will do some of what you suggest. I do not have a whole command of software, but as for what I have is Music Creator 5, Music Creator 6, and Band in a Box 2013. I find that each one of these are very useful, but I also have 2, 8 track digital machines. One is a Fostex Vf08 which cost about $700.00 when I bought it new. This one has onboard effects that are very good. and another Fostex "MR8 HD CD" that has some very good features to it. If I do take some of these routs that you are talking about, I am going to get a UPC Number to keep track of all the sales if there are any. I may be able to have the UPC encoded into the music files for download's. But anyhow, my response of what people say about some of the songs that I have created are mixed. I am one to take constructive criticism if I agree with it. I have learned through this form and many others that you have to let some of the feedback roll off your back like water rolls off of a ducks back. Some people are just very negative. Always have been and always will be. Some want to see you better yourself and others don't because of whatever reason. Maybe they didn't make it and they don't want to see other people make it. Well, whatever way the ball bounces I have learned that you can not take things to heart or it will either hurt your feelings, or worse you will not even try at all. But again thank you for the very good advice that you are giving. These day's I try to turn everything into a positive.

Thanks Richard

Bob

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Well ya got me there. I am 47, but there is no un-written rule that I couldn't become a staffwriter for other people where my songwriting could really take shape. Just sayin'

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have learned through this form and many others that you have to let some of the feedback roll off your back like water rolls off of a ducks back.

Some people are just very negative. Always have been and always will be. Some want to see you better yourself and others don't because of whatever reason. Maybe they didn't make it and they don't want to see other people make it.

Well, whatever way the ball bounces I have learned that you can not take things to heart or it will either hurt your feelings, or worse you will not even try at all. But again thank you for the very good advice that you are giving. These day's I try to turn everything into a positive.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
All criticism is worthy of analysis. Dismissing it as "sour grapes" is generally the wrong approach in my opinion. I went to your profile and tried to look up your music. The youtube link was dead. Make it easy for folks to hear your stuff.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Critics have the easiest job, for it is easy to be critical, regardless of any logic or reason. Thick Skin, ignore, if you can, and something an old hand at success in the music bidness long before there was top 40 rock 'n roll, etc. once told me, "No publicity is bad publicity, it is all just publicity!" comes to mind.

Another thing he once said was, "There's always room for the best."

I think the one common denominator across the board, regardless of genre, is tenacity. Those that stick with it and when they find that something isn't working are able to change whatever is needed and keep on working hard at not only the composition but also the submission of compositions, handling the cloud of rejections well enough to get up tomorrow and rinse and repeat without succumbing to the negative side of the thing will likely improve their chances greatly.

So my advice is simple enough here: If getting "signed" is your goal, set aside Internet Forums and spend as much of your time as you can working whatever you find to be necessary to achieve that goal.

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob,

What is unique or different about your musical talent or your songwriting capabilities that would attract Nashville (this is the heart of the Christian market) over the thousands of wannabe songwriters that are in residence there?

This is simply a question to get you to consider your competition. It might be wise for you to ake a trip to Nashville and just drive through Music Row, or even better, walk through there. Business after business dealing with mostly people that have moved there. The town is loaded with people that want to make it in the performing and/or publishing side of the business.

This is my middle sister's self-produced CD on CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/heatherbays

She is not signed. She actually makes it o.k. as a studio singer for a couple of studios in Indianapolis that primarily record demo tracks for publishing companies that cater to college choir directors. So, she fits the definition of a professional on a weekly basis for her studio gigs.

She knows the Indianapolis folks in the Christian music industry (the whole long chain of 'Gaither' and Praise Gathering folks are still based there).

She can sing the sox off of most of us here on this forum as for talent and breadth of style; opera, R&B, country, gospel, CCM, you name it, Heather can sing it and give you goosebumps at the same time.

Her CD is well-done, way past 'demo' type of sound. She hired in most of the musicians, but they didn't track simultaneously. It's evidenced in a couple of the songs where they just don't have a live band 'vibe' to them at certain parts. But I think you will agree that even listening to the short snippets on CD Baby, her pipes are there. Every one of those songs could be on the radio.

She just was the guest soloist for the Anderson Symphony Orchestra's Christmas concert. Anderson is a one of Indy's big suburb-type towns, and where the Gaither folks are based.

She hasn't tried super hard to 'get signed'. However, if she did, even she would have a hard time getting signed by one of the big labels. The competition is too danged thick, and the labels are incredibly careful about how much they spend on promotion and for how many people.

The guy who produced the album, Dave Elwert, is also worth study. Not signed. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/daveelwert2

There are hundreds, thousands more like this. Have you ever visited Noisetrade.com? Thousands of self-produced albums there by folks wanting to get noticed and 'signed'.

So, while it isn't dead, it's also incredibly overpopulated with people trying to 'make it'.

However, if you were able to get to Nashville - not on a self-promotion tour, but just to see the size and breadth of your competition - it might be worth it for you to spend a week there. Head into any bar or pick from the big lists of live music venues in town - you'll almost always hear great talent, unsigned.

http://www.nowplayingnashville.com/musictonight

I heard a guy at BB King's joint there back in August that was simply burning it up ala Stevie Ray Vaughan, with a bumpin band backing him up - great pipes, unsigned.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
YT subscribe to similar genre channels. You'll get some additional fans.

As mentioned above a well "mastered" CD will help a lot.

This will not put you on a label, but being on Amazon is a good step.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233424#Post233424

I'm realistic, 70 and will never compete with the stars, but
can still learn.

Listen to specific music mix techniques, showcase is good start,
but YT and other places. This was/is an invaluable tool for me.
Try to split each of the tracks used away as you listen.

Mimic's have made millions thru the years.

I view(listen) to many folks on the Showcase and put their music
right up there with many successful pro's.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
trapper456,

Well, my marbles were not lined up in a row..... Why am I giving
advice. Did not do it myself.
Just completed the setups thru Kunaki for CD sales on Amazon.
Created early 2012 thanks to lotsa help from these forum folks.

Took me about 30 minutes to walk thru the very simple setup.
priced at $7.95. My take per sale is about $4.40.
Two reasons, its Amazon, and second, was free to do, discounting
Amazons and Kunaki portion. Just sit back and wait for the 9 or
10 bucks to flow in.....

Is it mastered to the pro quality of lot of other folks no, but
nice sounding music, which lot of folks have liked.

This was up within about 15 minutes of my data entry.
Keep in mind the CD already existed at Kunaki....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSUGCOI/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

What do I expect, bucket list point, and maybe few sales.....

Last edited by seeker; 01/10/14 07:51 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
trapper,

I know that “getting signed” is weighing on your mind since that was one of your first posts on the forum under one of your first screen names.

I also believe that you love making music. Why not just focus on making music and sharing it with those who want to listen?

Most talented musicians will never be “signed” or even heard of outside of their circle of friends. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t keep doing what they love.

Instead of focusing on “getting signed”, focus on playing music.

Just my 2 cents.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,607
Posts735,028
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186