Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I worked with some early speech synthesizers in the 70s, and we had to program words with exaggerated phonemes along the lines Mac just described. "Hello" sounded like a fast, clipped "HEElow". We had to type "Hay-uh-LOW-uh" to make it sound realistic.

Some are definitely better than others, and the technology has continued to improve.

This is one example that demonstrates potential.

Although I think a lot of editing has been included in the samples to get the phonemes sounding somewhat natural. I doubt you can type a lyric and expect great results out of the box.

Voice synthesis speaking products are currently much better than those trying to include melodic phrasing.

In my view, Sinsy doesn't even rate.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
A side benefit of Sinsy is that it is implemented by Music XML exported from BIAB. I'm hoping further development will be done in this area.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
cxp Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
The merits of vocal synthesis are irrelevant in addressing the issue at hand. The fact is that the auto mode of generating synthesized vocals does not work at the moment.

I would be happy to hear mispronounced words with all kinds of artifacts. All I have been able to generate using the auto mode is the same "kih" syllable previously described. There is no hint of any kind of word pronunciation. I made a call to support last week and in real time he generated the same kind of file I have been getting, but sidestepped the issue by suggesting it might be a temporary problem with sinsy, a third party application.

On the other hand, I have been able to get more typical results using the manual process. Inserting the generated XML file into synsy and then importing the synthesized vocal wav file into RealBand or BIAB seems to work for some reason. I don't know what is different in the auto mode, but this could be a lot of fun and gets the creative juices flowing. I'm sure, like every other new feature, the kinks will be worked out, but we should not confuse what is being generated by the auto mode with the shortcomings of vocal synthesis.

Veteran
Veteran
Hank, you should be able to manually create a file from Sinsy. It sounds like you're still having difficulty doing that. Here's what to do:

1. Add lyrics to the song. It sounds like you've already done that, so I'll skip details on this step.

2. In the Lyrics menu, choose Vocal Synth- Manual Mode (Generate Vocal Audio from Lyrics & Melody).

3. You should get a popup message box with text along the lines of:

C:\bb\data\SRequest\Sound.XML is now generated.

Use your browser to browse to www.sinsy.jp, upload the xml file,
and press OK here when you have a file returned from
Sinsy.

At this point, BiaB is waiting for you to manually load the file onto the Sinsy website. Pay attention to the path the BiaB gave you. In my example, C:\bb\data\SRequest\Sound.XML is the location of the file to load into Sinsy.

4. Just to make sure everything is cool, open the folder (in my example, C:\bb\data\SRequest) and verify the file Sound.XML is there.

4a. (Optional) If you're really curious, you can double click it and have a look at it. It'll probably open up in your web browser. XML (eXtensible Markup Language) is related to HTML, and is a structured tagging language. You'll find the syllables of your song embedded between <text> tags. Close the web browser when you're done looking at the file.

5. Open up a web browser, and navigate to http://www.sinsy.jp.

6. In the upper right corner, you'll see English / Japanese. Click English to see the web page in English.

Edit: I forgot this critical step: Make sure the Language option is set to English! blush

7. There's a Browse... button on the web page for you to load your song into Sinsy. Click it.

8. A File Open dialog will appear. Navigate to the location where BiaB indicated the Sound.XML file was. In my example, it's in the folder C:\bb\data\SRequest. Navigate to that directory, choose Sound.XML and click Open to load the file into Sinsy.

9. Once you've selected the Sound.XML file, click the Send button on the Sinsy webpage to process your song.

10. The word Synthesizing will appear. Wait a few moments, and the words will change to Synthesis Results. There should also be a playback control.

10a. (Optional) Click the ">" button to hear the vocals. This verifies that Sinsy generated the vocals.

11. Now you need to copy the song from the webpage back to your computer. Right-click (i.e. click with the right mouse button, not the left button you usually use). A special context menu should pop up under your cursor with items such as:

Open
Open in new tab
Open in new window
Save target as...
Print target...

Choose the Save target as... option. (In Firefox, the option is Save link as...)

12. Your web browser will open a Save As dialog. By default, Sinsy gives the file some automatic name such as "20140120071413_32118.wav". You might want to shorten the name of the file, but it doesn't really matter. Save the file somewhere you'll be able to find it, like your Downloads folder or your Desktop.

12a. (Optional) Once you've saved the file, you might want to check it. Open the folder where you saved the .wav file, and double-click the file. Windows should open up the media player and play the file back for you. Close the media player when you're done listening.

14. All this time, BiaB has been waiting patiently. Go back to BiaB, and press OK on the message dialog.

15. BiaB will open a BB File open dialog so you can point it to the .wav file you just saved. Using the dialog, browse to where the file was saved, and select that file.

16. If all goes well, BiaB will load the file into the Audio slot. This should be indicated by the Audio slot now being yellow instead of white.

16a. I noticed that BiaB didn't mute the Melody slot. You might want to mute it, or the melody instrument will play back with the audio.

17. Press the Play button, and your song should play back with the audio track from Sinsy.

Did this work for you? If not, at what point did you run into problems?

Last edited by dcuny; 01/22/14 09:06 PM. Reason: I forgot an important step!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
David (Dcuny)
Thanks for taking the time to give this thorough instruction path. I'm not sure everything you mentioned is happening when I open manual mode but I will try it a little later today, and again, thanks....Hank

Veteran
Veteran
Strictly speaking, not all the steps are necessary. But if something is failing, you'll be able to identify where things go wrong.

Unless BiaB is going to adopt something like Vocaloid, I think integrating something like SoftVoice is the way to go. That way, BiaB isn't dependent on some third-party tool that they've got no control over.

Good luck!

-- David Cuny

Expert
Expert
Well, just finished my last trial with it & conclusion: Sinsy the Singing Cat. PS i messed with vocaloid a while back, especially trying harmony vocals ..... got the same sort of results, funny but just not useful. - F

Last edited by fiddler2007; 01/21/14 01:36 AM. Reason: correction
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
Well, just finished my last trial with it & conclusion: Sinsy the Singing Cat....funny but just not useful. - F

Great review, my experience exactly. Of course I remember when BiaB sounded pretty bad (especially in hindsight) too. Wouldn't be surprised if this technology get's a lot more useful in the future.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Veteran
Veteran
For comparison, here's a demo done with Sinsy and BiaB: Words Like Smoke

Compare that to a demo using the Vocaloid AVANNA and BiaB: The Water Is Wide

I've tweaked the syllables a bit in them, but I think they're representative of the sort of sound you can get out of them. Sinsy has a heavy Asian accent - she a lot of trouble with r and th, for example.

They both come off as heavily retuned, because of the nature of the resynthesis. I've also had someone use the word "funny" when hearing it. Neither sounds like a native speaker.

But to see how far vocal synthesis has come, here's 1970's style formant synthesis (my own code): Loch Lomand

-- David Cuny

DC Ron #236353 01/21/14 11:32 AM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
We explored Voice Synthesis some time ago, including having developed applications that use it.

The field is continually improving.

From the research that we undertook previously the Acapela Box product has potential, and also Ivona Reader .

Note - these are voice, not singing, but in terms of phonetics and level of clarity, they seem to be significantly better than the Sinsy product.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
David (dcuny)

I am now able to navigate to the sound file but there is no XML extension attached to it. Vocal Synth follows the tune, singing six, six, six etc. and is also lagging by about 80 clicks ...Hank

Veteran
Veteran
Most voice synthesis programs use training databases to generate transitions between frames (slices of sound). This captures all sorts of prosody information, such as pitch and stress. The approach is generally referred to as HMM (Hidden Markov Model).

Sinsy takes the same sort of HMM as Ivona Reader does. The fact that she's got a heavy accent actually demonstrates the strength of the approach, since it captures the speaker accurately.

But to do this same approach with singing, you would need a huge database to capture all the transition sounds at all the different pitch intervals. So it's not really practical to create a database that covers all the transitions.

Additionally, there are timing constraints in singing - something that vocal synthesis doesn't deal with at all.

So getting synthetic singing to work with "state of the art" vocal synthesis turns out to be problematic, to say the least.

-- David Cuny

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rutabago
I am now able to navigate to the sound file but there is no XML extension attached to it.

The extension is probably hidden, since Windows does that by default. So far, so good.

Quote:
Vocal Synth follows the tune, singing six, six, six etc. and is also lagging by about 80 clicks

That's odd. Could you email me the XML file? I've sent you a PM with my email address.

-- David Cuny

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks David
I will work on that tomorrow and I really appreciate your help...Hank

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
David (dcuny)
I inadvertently shut down the forum before copying your e-mail address. Would you please send it again...Hank

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
David (dcuny)
I just listened to you works. I felt that the second sample was better than the first, but both are fantastic. The BIAB backing is very well done. I enjoyed your earlier work too, the male voice and harmony parts. Wish I had more computer savvy ...Hank

Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Hank.

You should be able to find the message by going to the menu at the top of the forum and picking My Stuff and Messages from the dropdown menu.

Thanks for the comments, but this is something that anyone could do with BiaB and a Vocaloid. I'm not sure what direction PG Music wants to go with vocal synthesis, but I think it's certainly an itch that some folk want scratched. Sinsy is certainly an inexpensive way to start.

The Sinsy code has actually been released, but I'm taking a vacation from coding for the moment. I might have a peek to see how they do the pitch shifting at some point, though.

-- David Cuny

A
Journeyman
Journeyman
A
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: Mac
The thing is in its infancy, who knows at this point in time if it will develop into something usable in production, or perhaps into something along the lines of a Special Effect sort of thing someday, as in the overuse/abuse of Autotune to get the Cher Effect was.

But consider that there are some folks who cannot speak or sing anymore, like our own good forum member Don, who just might be able to get enjoyment out of their songwriting and demos from the use of this feature.

So many on this forum only see Band in a Box as whatever it is that they themselves want to use it for, there's plenty of room for all the other stuff as well, if you don't like a particular feature, style, addon or command in the program, just don't use it. There are likely others who view that same thing as their "must have".

--Mac

Yeah, I certainly appreciate that sort of use and I have heard computer generated voices that were reasonably accurate but still artificial sounding...these would be great for someone who cannot speak or sing. But that demo was terrible and many of the words were not even remotely correct. Why would anyone want something so bad? You could hit a garbage can lid with a stick and get closer on many of the words!

That's actually been done quite often. It's called reggae.

(-:

But I side with the nay sayers and can't imagine why PG spent 5 minitues on this feature.

The issues go way beyond the technical ineptitude of voice synthesis to the very heart and soul of great singing which is
PHRASING!

Relatively few singers can phrase worth a darn and almost no non-singer musicians would have a clue. So "note based" vocal synthesis...even if the voice could be made to sound totally lifelike...would be doomed to sounding S...Q...U...A...R...E!

(-:

Jim

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback, Rutabago.

I just played around with the Matsua-P voice - it's fairly good, and seems not to have the sort of noise problems that the Xiang-Ling voice has.

I think I may have given Hank bad instructions by not mentioning that English needed to be selected in manual mode. His Sound.XML file renders just fine.

-- David Cuny

Mac #239080 02/08/14 05:04 AM
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
"But consider that there are some folks who cannot speak or sing anymore, like our own good forum member Don, who just might be able to get enjoyment out of their songwriting and demos from the use of this feature."

Mac as Ive had health issues and hadnt been on here for some time I was taken back by what you said above..what has been the cause of Don not being able to sing or even speak? I absolutely agree with you for someone like Don this would be a wonderful piece of equipment,Thanks for posting it up Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195