Go To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Robh
I can open more than one app as well, but to move audio and midi between platforms can introduce unique challenges to say the least. Each platform handles drag and drop differently. Timing, timeline, mid tools vary. Even if it is a smooth transition it still take time and work to do.

interesting...I am always saving files out and then opening/importing them into another program. do you use drag/drop a lot? I kinda assumed that would not work well and never really tried it. can you drag from BIAB and drop in a DAW?

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
No you have to drag to a folder or to the drag and drop area feature in BiaB. This is the reason i dug in and learned Rb as well as I have i can open the BiaB files natively, and no movement issues. I just never open up another DAW until i find RB simply won't do something at all, or at least it does it so badly i can't deal with the workaround.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Robh
No you have to drag to a folder or to the drag and drop area feature in BiaB. This is the reason i dug in and learned Rb as well as I have i can open the BiaB files natively, and no movement issues. I just never open up another DAW until i find RB simply won't do something at all, or at least it does it so badly i can't deal with the workaround.

I am trying again to use RealBand and I find it to be so slow to load my BIAB files...a song file that loads in a second or two in BIAB takes 40 seconds to load in RB! Also when I make adjustments to things it seems to lag rather than effecting the change immediately. Is it possible I have RB set up wrong?

Veteran
Veteran
RB opens songs slower than Biab, that's because it writes out all the tracks first, and marks them.

Biab is often still generating tracks as it plays. That's because it doesn't have to have a wav drawing, be ready for audio editing, etc right away.
RB sets itself up with everything written out and generated. That way you can open a file and start slicing and dicing .. or mark a section and regenerate .. etc.

As for the lag; RB is likely running MME (WDM) drivers. If you have ASIO available it may be faster.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
You can drag and drop into SONAR with no intermediate folder. It depends on the DAW you are using.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I am trying again to use RealBand and I find it to be so slow to load my BIAB files...a song file that loads in a second or two in BIAB takes 40 seconds to load in RB! Also when I make adjustments to things it seems to lag rather than effecting the change immediately. Is it possible I have RB set up wrong?

Tip: After opening the BiaB file in RB, save it as a RB format file (.SEQ)
Next time you open it in RB, it will be virtually instant.
HTH, Cheers
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Tip: After opening the BiaB file in RB, save it as a RB format file (.SEQ)
Next time you open it in RB, it will be virtually instant.
HTH, Cheers
Trevor
Thanks Trevor! I will try that.

Expert
Expert
After much frustration with n-track I moved to MultiTrackStudio and never looked back. It can do way more than I can grin
I bought Reaper out of curiosity but found it daunting compared to MultiTrackStudio so I only try it now and again if I can't do something in MTS.

Chris
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
MTS is simply the best independent SAW on the market. Maybe not as customizable as Reaper but stability, simplicity, and the quality of the plugins is superior. The way it handles midi and synths is so powerful. It allows you to add audio effects to midi tracks and edit the output.

Both MTS, and Reaper are very solid performers. Still there are a couple things that they do not do that I like for me personally. These are also the things that PG does not do, so I had to choose between sonar and studio one. When I received SD1 with my interface the deal was sealed. I still have MTS on my system, and revert to it at times.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
+2 on MultiTrackStudio MTS

Everything works, nothing ever crashes, world class sound and plugins included, those thinking they need separate Mastering software should look at MTS, that Mastering Strip and the included Master Comp/Lim are incredible.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
By the way, I also use Adobe Audition (the former Cool Edit Pro). I realize some might not consider this a DAW. It's primarily a stereo wave file editor, but it does have multitrack recording and CD burning capability, so it is useful for more than just fade outs, trimming the final file and making MP3s. The spectrum analysis and noise reduction features, to name just two, make this a must-have part of my workflow.

Yes, Matt. I forgot to mention that. I use multiple screens on my PC and always have a Spectrum analysis window open on the side screen. It comes in real handy for finding pitch issues and what instruments may have bad spikes at certain frequencies.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
A 3rd Chime-in for MultitrackStudio Pro Plus, on both OSX and Windoze. Ditto what Sinbad and Mac said. I love it.

Plus, just as a side note, I like supporting the underdogs that know how to code and have a business model that takes care of the users.

A lot of great musicians do not have a lot of money, and MTS is a solid piece of software and provides great bang for the buck. Now available for iPad too!

I do occasionally open RB when using it in conjunction with BIAB, but since I use BIAB for mostly practice, this doesn't happen much. MTS is my go to DAW for production...

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Veteran
Veteran
You can drag and drop into SONAR with no intermediate folder. It depends on the DAW you are using.

You can drag and drop into REAPER with no intermediate folder. It depends on the DAW you are using. Too Cool!

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Apprentice
Apprentice
My biggest hurdle has been finding something that handles Midi well. I like to be able to add midi parts to a mix, but I find midi editing in RB horrible. I cut my teeth on Cakewalk 3 (pre-wav version) and love the midi editing features in it. I could edit midi in a fraction of the time it takes me in RB. Anyone have good experience editing midi in Reaper or Sonar?

Thanks

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
Veteran
Veteran
I am not familiar with Reaper, but I have done extensive editing of MIDI in SONAR and it is my program of choice for that purpose. The exception is that editing via staff notation is sometimes something of a problem, so I take MIDI out to a notation program then back to SONAR.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks, Matt. I'm going to download the Sonar trial and see how it works for me. I do a lot of editing in "Event List" mode in my old Cakewalk version.

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am not familiar with Reaper, but I have done extensive editing of MIDI in SONAR and it is my program of choice for that purpose. The exception is that editing via staff notation is sometimes something of a problem, so I take MIDI out to a notation program then back to SONAR.

Matt, can you advise which program you like to use for Notation editing?
I agree with the comment from Rich that MIDI editing in RB is somewhat cumbersome compared to other programs.
Thanks
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Takamine
My biggest hurdle has been finding something that handles Midi well. I like to be able to add midi parts to a mix, but I find midi editing in RB horrible. I cut my teeth on Cakewalk 3 (pre-wav version) and love the midi editing features in it. I could edit midi in a fraction of the time it takes me in RB. Anyone have good experience editing midi in Reaper or Sonar?

Thanks

The MIDI engine inside today's Sonar is pretty much the exact same and good MIDI engine that many of us came to know and love from back in the days of Greg Hendershot's original Cakewalk.

So you might want to take a look at Sonar.

--Mac

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Doesn't RB have the hybrid MIDI Piano Roll/Notation editor mode? I always found this to be the easiest note-based editor around when I was using PowerTracks Pro Audio.

You have to choose this mode, it's not the default midi editor. I'm referring to the mode where the note value is presented on staff, the length is presented as a horizontal flag and the velocity is presented as a vertical flag.

That was and still is in my opinion, one of the most 'musical' way to do note-based MIDI editing.

Mixcraft DAW will display note length in it's notation display, as a horizontal flag, but I'm not sure you can grab the flag and change length right on the staff like you can with PTPA (and I assume RB).

Veteran
Veteran
Yeah Rockstar, I use the piano roll mode to edit MIDI. It's much easier than trying to mess about in the Event list.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,077
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185