Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#240605 - 02/19/14 08:53 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ?
Joe V Offline
Expert

Loc: NYC
Hi all,

Many books will teach you a 'silly' amount of fingerings for all the different chords, but far fewer - maybe none that I have run across, that take a chord quality and explain the function of that chord in a variety of song contexts. Also, these books will build diatonic structures in a 'silly' amount of tonalities, and again - have very few examples regarding function.

Can you guys help me get started understanding the most common functions of the above qualities, maybe reference some good song examples, and some exercises to help me incorporate these songs into compositions and cool substitutes ?

Again - I have a LOT of books - but none do justice, IMHO, to this question. Maybe I just have the wrong books for this aspect of music.

Edited by Joe V (02/19/14 08:55 AM)

#240609 - 02/19/14 09:05 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Can you properly harmonize a Major scale in any key on yer guitar?

Example: Play an E Major scale in one octave using the correct chord for each step. M-m-m-M-M-m-dim7-M

If not, then it is not time to be concerned with these chords yet, for they will not make much harmonic sense.

The function of those three chords is to provide the scale-generated harmony for the notes in between the notes of the given scale.

Look up "scale harmonization" for starters.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#240613 - 02/19/14 09:11 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
Joe V Offline
Expert

Mac - I've got the part you described, I just can't seem to make the jump to using that stuff in songs and compositions. Maybe I'm more concrete - I'm looking for some more song examples and particular progressions that use them. Thanks again for all your support and help over the years.

#240617 - 02/19/14 09:26 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Examples of usage in songs, start investigating the chord changes to the great old standards, ballads, jazz standards. Realbook, etc. Tin Pan Alley songs forward.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#240645 - 02/19/14 11:34 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

A good understanding of music theory will help you to understand them a bit more.

Also study the kinds of music that use them..... Jazz is a really good place to start.

I write a lot of country and to be honest, there generally isn't a big need in country for those chords.

You can also study this right inside Band in a Box.

Use the MELODIST function.....select Jazz and one of it's subcategories and let it generate a number of "songs". Depending on the style it is using, you will find these chords used right there in BB. Study how it is applied.

Edited by Guitarhacker (02/19/14 11:37 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#240677 - 02/19/14 03:27 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
Mac Offline
Veteran

The Band in a Box Demo songs are another place to study use of chords in progressions, too.

The Jukebox can load all the songs in one demo folder and play them, you can stop the jukebox when one loads that looks interesting and have a go at it.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#240699 - 02/19/14 05:55 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
Joe V Offline
Expert

...and so I begin following all those suggestions. Thanks for the encouragement and reminders.

#240752 - 02/20/14 08:13 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Love the sound of these diminished chords. they also lay so well on the guitar neck and given that they are symetrical there is lots of cool voicings.

Charlie has a good writeup on these:

http://charlieaustinjazz.blogspot.com/2012/03/diminished-perspectives.html
SoundCloud

#240753 - 02/20/14 08:14 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
pghboemike Offline
Veteran

tutorial videos featuring Tim Cummiskeylooked like they may be useful for this thread

http://www.youtube.com/user/SPGGuitar251/search?query=Tim+Cummiskey

#240782 - 02/20/14 03:53 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
Google II - V - I functions. Lots of info out there. Later, Ray

#241748 - 02/27/14 01:45 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
ZeroZero Offline
Expert

Loc: Bynar
To try to answer the question, applies to your other post too Joe.

Diminished chords bring tension.

Music is about tension and release.

Release tends to be strong beat major and minor chords.

In between there is space for tension, diminished chords can fit in here, preceding the resolving chord, often preceding by a diminished a half stelp below

The augmented fifth chord, is basically a dom 7th chord with an extra bit of color, a common place for one of these is the last chord of a twelve bar blues. Try a 12 bar with a 7th chord built on the fifth of the key, then an aug 7th, you will hear a bit of extra spice and yearning to get to the root chord on bar 1 of the second chorus.

Basically all these none standard chords bring tension, they heighten the tension.

#241749 - 02/27/14 01:49 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
ZeroZero Offline
Expert

Loc: Bynar
the minor 7 flat five is a Locrian chord, in C its all white nbotes based on the 7th - B. I think of this as a standard, unchanged modal chord. If you work it out this chord is strongly related to the dominant 7th as it shares three notes with it.

Edited by ZeroZero (02/27/14 01:50 PM)

#243154 - 03/08/14 01:52 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Maybe you need to play and hear these chords in action. Wrap your fingers around this little ditty:

SoundCloud

#243183 - 03/08/14 08:04 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Note stack for the 5th chord Am7b5 is NOT correct, actually there are quite a few discrepancies in that example, such as that A# in the Gm7, etc.

The chord diagrams look to be okay, but the notes given are not to be trusted. Charted by Kent Reed?

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#243214 - 03/09/14 09:36 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: What are the most common functions of diminished, augmented, and m7b5 chords ? [Re: Joe V]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

The source of this score goes back a long way (~20 yrs?). I suspect it may have originated in some form in a Guitar Player Magazine. I think I added the chord charts back in the day likely based on how I played the piece more then how it is actually notated.

I did some hunting this morning and was able to confirm that I did add the chords based on my playing but did not change the corresponding notation. So in fact there are two versions above, one for the guitar player and one for keyboard (no extra charge).

I just redid it after all these years and notated the way I play it on guitar. I'm always open to corrections?

So now that you have seen it and played it, lets drop in BIAB so you can hear it and understand why jazz cats love these changes.

12 Bar Minor Blues - augmented and diminished chords - BIAB 2014

Edited by jazzmandan (03/09/14 01:33 PM)
SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27508 Members
50 Forums
51803 Topics
427987 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
jcbush13, Bernman48066, jycjones01, BOSS RV-3 DD/R, bcprods

27507 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 436
zedd 193