Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#24331 - 05/26/09 02:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts...
protostar Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I have the UltraPak "Audiophile Edition" on the external hard drive, and have been really getting into practicing along with Band-In-A-Box. I play several instruments, but currently I'm concentrating on the flute; I started on it in April of last year. So I still consider myself a beginner on the flute, and I realize I have a lot to learn. Part of my progress so far on the instrument has to be credited to BIAB... I have so much fun playing Real Book tunes with BIAB that I can sometimes play for hours and forget about the time. :-)

I've recently been rehearsing with a vocalist (Paula) who is a very good jazz singer, and I think we're going to work well together as a duo, with BIAB as our backing combo. One thing that is great about BIAB is the ability to generate separate .wav files for each instrument. I've taken some BIAB songs and rendered the audio to .wav files (using all RealTracks), and imported these to a DAW called Reaper (highly recommended). I've recorded flute and vocal tracks along with the imported BIAB instrument tracks on several standards, and created a MySpace page to showcase these tunes. You can listen to my current material at the following page:

http://www.myspace.com/elegancemusicinfo

All of the rhythm section instruments were originally generated by BIAB and transferred to Reaper for multitracking, recording and mixing. I'll let you folks be the judge, but I feel that the quality of these mixes is in large part the result of being able to use the RealTracks in my mixes. Hats off to Peter Gannon & the PG Music developers for creating such an outstanding piece of software.. And I haven't even scratched the surface of its capabilities yet.

I'll also be using BIAB as my accompaniment (live) on upcoming gigs, both as a soloist, and with my vocalist as a duo. Fun stuff!

Regards,
Doug

#24332 - 05/26/09 02:43 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: protostar]
Jazzman Offline
Expert

Loc: UK
Hi Doug,

An excellent outcome - well done

I have been using BIAB for backing tracks for some ten years and agree with you that with the advent of all the Realxxx's it has pushed it to a very high level

jazzman

#24333 - 05/26/09 04:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: Jazzman]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Excellent work in every aspect. A fantastic listen. Thank you for posting the link.

Noel

#24334 - 05/26/09 09:31 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: Noel96]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Hi Doug,

Good sounds there.

And Welcome to the Forum!

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#24335 - 05/26/09 11:21 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: Mac]
protostar Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks, guys, for the comments & compliments. I'll be working on some more mixes this week from my rehearsal/recording session with Paula this past Sunday. I posted one of the tunes from that session last night- "Summertime". So far, I've kept the production very simple on these songs- nothing but the BIAB instrument tracks, vocals, and flute, because that's pretty much how we're going to sound live. If I make a CD, I might dress things up a bit with sampled strings and whatnot.

Mac, I remember you from my previous lurking on the forums here... Your location caught my eye, because I was in the U.S. Army "TRADOC" Band at Fort Monroe in Hampton for over 13 years, from the mid '70s to late '80s. A major part of my 22-year career with the Army Bands. I wonder if you might know guitarist Bob Roetker, who I worked with there at the Ft. Monroe band. He's also an avid BIAB user and has been sighted on these forums. I'll wager that there's a bunch of former and retired military band folks on here, in fact.

--db

#24336 - 05/26/09 11:28 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: protostar]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
I don't know if I've met or seen Bob or not, as you say, the service bands provide a lot of musicians to the area, many of whom elect to stay here and live after their military band service.

I'm USAF band alumni, which kind of makes for a bit of parochial fun when we do manage to get together, the majority here being Army or Navy band alumni, but not exclusively so.

Always thrilled to meet any service band member and the door is always open to same here.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#24337 - 05/26/09 05:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: Mac]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

Nice work Doug! You and Paula sound great!

I bet others are interested in the process of starting in BB, and going to the finished product, as you have done.
For example, did you edit the RealTracks at all, or just take them 'as is'. What type of effects were added. How were the vocals and flute recorded? What other tools were used? That type of thing....

If you have time to post something on that, the ideal forum for that would be the Tips n Tricks forum.

#24338 - 05/26/09 06:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: PeterGannon]
protostar Offline
Enthusiast

Holy smokes! Mr. PG Himself!

(picking myself up off the floor)

Thank you, Peter. I would be happy to provide details of how I arrived at this recorded product using BB, including the recording session details, mics, editing, processing, etc.. In fact, I've already explained most of this to one of my facebook friends, so I'll take that explanation, do a little wordsmithing, and post it in the Tips'n'Tricks forum. Since I love to play and record, I can blab all day long about this! But I think I'll do some reading here, too, because there's always something new to learn. ;-)

Best Regards,
Doug

#24339 - 05/26/09 07:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: protostar]
Muzic Trax Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Very professional sounding Doug. The recording sounds fantastic, gotta love those Real Tracks. Biab is my favorite "go to" software for creating music with. Paula is an amazing singer with an incredible voice. You two make an awesome duo team. I loved the Flute chops as well. In fact, all of your tracks sound professional.

I am also in Southern California, about an hour north of you.

I really enjoyed your music, thanks for posting it. Keep on track'n !!

Trax

#24340 - 05/26/09 08:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: Muzic Trax]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Doug,

1st of all dittos on the welcome to the forum, secondly you cats sound great! I especially liked When Sunny Gets Blue and your great flute playing on Fly Me To The Moon. Congratulations on some very fine work.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#24341 - 05/26/09 08:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: Danny C.]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

Very professional recordings and impressive playing and singing. I sampled a few of the tunes and they were all top notch.

Kevin

#24342 - 05/26/09 09:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: protostar]
raymb1 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
Hi Doug. I was in the Langley Band from 1970 to 1976. I played piano (still do). We've had to have crossed paths. I worked every now and then with Bob R. and Tom J. Bob and I have exchanged a couple of e-mails. I've been using BIAB since 1995. Love the program. The Real Tracks and Real Drums are great! Later, Ray M.

#24343 - 05/26/09 10:02 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: raymb1]
SaxMarc Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Southwest USA
Doug:
Really great stuff...you and Paula sound fine together, and your flute work is very nice. As a clarinetist who is sometimes forced to double on flute, I am really impressed with your flute chops. Thanks for sharing!

#24344 - 05/27/09 02:13 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: SaxMarc]
Luvs3rds Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Doug;

You and Paula make a really good team. I liked all of your songs. Great arrangements, flute and vocals. I went to boot camp in San Diego, and used to enjoy the night blooming jasmine in the evenings as we walked to Ocean Beach to build a fire and drink beer. Some nice memories of your town. Thank you for posting.

Gene

#24345 - 05/27/09 05:31 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Hats off to PG Music - my first BIAB recording efforts... [Re: Luvs3rds]
jazzizgreat Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Singapore
Hi Doug

Nice work, you and Paula sound great !

Happy playing
André

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

Forum Stats
27143 Members
49 Forums
50333 Topics
413119 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
AM3, RoRoSong, WHW, smily, jeffkepner1

27142 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 250